Nexus 6: The wait begins

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
I finally got an order in for the exact phone I wanted, in Cloud White with 64GB.

That was one botched up mess to order the phone and now its about 4 weeks to arrival if the schedule holds.

I guess I'll spend my time trying to get Google to honor the CyberMonday deal since they wouldn't allow me to order one on that day.

Anyone else rocking a Nexus 6?

This was what I was going to get until I settled on the turbo. Very similar devices, you should be well pleased. I know I am.

Love my Nexus 6. Didn't care what color since I put a case on it anyways. So far it's the best phone I have had.

msmith:

Yeah the turbo is a good phone too, but it doesn't support TMobile LTE bands or I'd think about it.

Oh yeah, and then there's all the Verizon bloatware ;-)

Shipping date is supposed to be 1/5/15... I am impatiently waiting on delivery.

Google won't give me the GPS credit, I honestly didn't expect them to, but it was worth at least the effort :)

My phone arrived yesterday in all its large glory. I have a clear Spigen case for now.

So far I have:
Unlocked the boot loader
Installed a Custom Recovery
Installed a boot image that allows for unencrypted user space
Watched Google restore my programs
Transferred my tunes.

I'm sitting right at 40GB of user space left, so I'm glad I went with the 64GB model.

I had several high anxiety minutes after I had flashed the boot image for unencrypted user space on a lower revbbuild than it supported. My phone was a soft brick until I did a factory "restore" with the latest OTA.

Once I did that I was on the straight and narrow.

First impressions? Big. Substantial weight in hand. Fast, fast, fast.

The SIM card showed up about 20 minutes ago, but I'm going to wait until after work to activate it. We have BYOD for company phones, and I don't want to my Google Voice number unavailable during regular business hours.

I have attached a couple of side by side photos of the front and back with my note 2 case for size perspective. it's slightly bigger than the note 2 and the nexus 6 is in a spigen case. The last shot looks fuzzy because it's the translucent case on top of the screen for the nexus 6.

So far my only "issue" is adjusting to the button placement which is near the centerline of the phone.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420656494143.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420656494143.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 247
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420656508179.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420656508179.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420656520538.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420656520538.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: osu1991
Verizon steadfastly refused to activate and I won't jump through the hoops with activating the SIM on another phone and giving an inaccurate IEMI.

So Verizon lost me to T-Mobile today.

Reactions: TheKrell
What was there main reason for not activating it?

OK that makes sense now, yeah same with the One Plus One. Verizon still won't activate one yet.

OK that makes sense now, yeah same with the One Plus One. Verizon still won't activate one yet.

There's a hack to make this work. You put a nano-SIM into another phone that's in the Verizon whitelist, then you provision that SIM to the number you want. Then you take the SIM and put it into the Nexus 6. I didn't want to do that dance. You can also manually (or with a SIM cutter) cut down a Micro-SIM to Nano-SIM size. I could have done that with my Note 2 SIM, but again, I didn't want to do that dance.

My phone is also my work support phone, so I can't have a situation where Verizon decides to cut off service because my device isn't whitelisted. So I went to a more enlighted provider ;-)

So far, no calls so I can't speak to call quality, bu tspeed on T-Mobile's network is great. It's my understanding that T-Mobile doesn't have coverage that is as solid in rural areas as ATT and Verizon have. This is anecdotal evidence from a couple of my co-workers. I don't have first hand experience as I haven't taken any road trips yet.

I'm still working on a comfortable grip for one handed use. For 2 handed use it's easy.

The only criticism is the back is a little slick, but sadly so is the case I have chosen. It's a Spigen clear case, that's very thin. I think they call it Ultra slim. It adds practically zero bulk to the case.

I have not historically been an annual upgrader -- two years is enough of a difference to make me want to upgrade.

Here's my display resolution journey with android phones:
HTC EVO WVGA/800x480/386,400 pixels
Motorola Photon WQHD/960x540/518,400 pixels
Samsung Note 2 WXGQ/1280x800/1,024,000 pixels
Motorola Nexus 6 QHD/2560x1440/3,686,400 pixels

It's a remarkable display and I'm in the "pixels, what pixels?" phase. That's been true with every upgrade, I'm always shocked by the pixel upgrade (in a good way).

Reactions: KE4EST
Okay, one thing that isn't up to par is the 802.11ac performance. It's terrible. I am not sure at this point whether it is the WAP or the phone as this is my first 802.11ac device.

I'll do some more extensive testing tomorrow night to track down the problem.

Speedtest gets:
91+/5mbit on 2.4/GHz
6+/3.8 Mbit on 5.8 GHz

Same external server and the service is 100Mbit down / 5Mbit up so the wireless N numbers are about as expected.

Something ain't right, don't know what yet.

Performance issue seems to be resolved. Looks like there was an issue with the channel in use.

Results are much better now on AC

Internal 226+ down / 102+ up
External 110+ down / 5- down.

Attached is the homework :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421264077382.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1421264077382.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 231
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421264084295.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1421264084295.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 249
I'm just past the two week mark and loving the N6. Still getting used to its idiosyncrasies but that's true of any phone.

I can tell now when the time comes for this beast to go I'll be looking for another Nexus or Pure Android device.

Lollipop's biggest issue is taming the notifications. Over time the notifications are more of a nuisance factor... The first few days it is a PITA as you tune all the apps installed that you use all the time. Over time that beast is conquered and you deal with new apps you install.

32gb wasnt enough storing music locally so I am happy I got the 64gb.

Glad to hear you are still liking it. I think I am still leaning toward the Moto X (2014) though.

I just ordered the N6 through Costco. $180! I'm coming from an HTC M7.

If I don't go iPhone for my upgrade then it would most likely be the Nexus 6. I want a plain vanilla phone without the bloat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)