NFL Blackouts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tim1970

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
This is from an article I just read on SI.com. It sounds like to me, that there will be no more local black-outs next year. Maybe I am just dreaming. What do you think?

The Dish On NFL Blackouts

Great news for dish TV fans. In a blind fury because Sunday's Miami-Tampa Bay game was pre-empted by CBS (to bring us the end of Pittsburgh-Jacksonville) and then not made available on the dish right away, resulting in a total blackout, I started making my usual round of maniac calls. The NFL's Director of Media Services and Technology, Seth Palansky, told me the following:

"Next year there will be no more blackouts. As a service to the fans who own satellite dishes, they will be able to pick up all games on the dish, even those that are carried nationally or in their own area by network TV." Yaaaay! (If it really happens.)

Tim

what is going to happen with the KC-Miami game that has moved to Friday evening? It looks like only regional markets are going to air it. Will Sunday Ticket cover it?

You're kidding me right? I had grandfathered in to recieve the LA and NY channels since I got D years ago. This year they blacked out Titans games unless I had locals. (even though I subscribe to Sunday Ticket) Reluctantly I bought a DVR and switched to the local channels solely to get Titans games! Damn, if this is true I could of held out for 1 year! We're only 4 and 9 anyway.

Will this apply to baseball games too?
I'd like to watch my Cubbies on ESPN HD this year.

Blackout rules apply for all major pro and college sports and are discussed at length in many older threads here, on the league websites, and and most quality affiliate websites as well. DirecTV has no control over who or what gets black out regardless of the league at hand; be it NFL, NCAA, etc. This is all based on your DMA as determined by your zip code. Same goes for Dish and cable as well.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.