NFL Network Dispute? -- Resolved

I guess I just don't recall many disputes where the sports channel was gone long, recent history CSNNE that would affect only a small percentage of subscribers,(and had almost no posts missing it) past history the NY RSN's which again affect a small percentage of subscribers. Could be other regional ones I don't know about...

...and CSNNE is in a league of its own. It has the two least popular teams from the Boston sports scene (Celtics and Revolution), and everything else to be big about is video versions of Sports Hub radio shows. I personally don't care about seeing Toucher and Rich's faces.

Reactions: Tampa8
Didn't realize anyone in WNY still had Dish.

NFL Network has some top notch original programming, some episodes even are geared toward us Bills fans. A Football Life is one of the best behind the scenes documentaries I've ever seen. It really dives into the personal side of the sport. The episode on Doug Flutie was one of the best and it sheds some light on the 'what could have been' if he played in the Music City Miracle game. When NFL Top 10 did their episode on the Top 10 Comebacks, it was no surprise that the Oilers/Bills game was featured and it brought back some great memories. Oddly enough the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans were my #2 team. The Football Life episode on Steve McNair was also well done. As a huge fan of his, no celebrity/athlete death has ever had any bearing on my life, except for his. The guy was a rock. NFL Films did an awesome job telling his story.

If you're a fan of the sport and the people that have make it great, there is much more to NFL Network then a handful of live games a year.
The live games are pretty much the big money items. The games are what drive the value of a channel. On ESPN 30 for 30 has had some unbelievably great documentaries like the Hillsborough Crush Disaster. But ESPN costs a lot of money because of the live sports, not 30 for 30.

The NFL is gouging subs.

You're right. But isn't that ironic? They are crying that the 8 games that they exclusively available on their own network cost them what for carriage?

Sounds like 20th Century Fox charging itself to rent unused space in the Fox Tower to shoot Die Hard. That actually happened.

You're right. But isn't that ironic? They are crying that the 8 games that they exclusively available on their own network cost them what for carriage?
Indeed. NFL Network is unique in the sense they own the content already. It isn't like ESPN who is buying the rights.

Sounds like 20th Century Fox charging itself to rent unused space in the Fox Tower to shoot Die Hard. That actually happened.
Probably for tax write-off purposes.

Here's what I know...
If the nfl wins dispute,my bill is going up in February
If dish wins dispute,my bill is going up in February
Nfl network on dish or off dish, my bill is going up in February
True, but by how much? That could change depending upon who wins the duel... ;)

SNY, MSG are the two that bug me the most, Dish had ongoing issues with MLB and didn't carry that network for a while, now I lose NFL network and NFL redzone. Just because you guys don't care about those channels doesn't mean it can't bother me. I didn't tell anyone they should leave DISH I just said I'm CONSIDERING leaving is that a crime?

Who said we didn't care? We just done care in freaking June...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8 and osu1991
It's really funny, in all these fights about which company is paying more for the channels up for contract negotiations or whether the tv provider will keep the channels at all, we the customers are the ones who ALWAYS pay more in the end , no matter who wins the fight.:coco

I don't reckon anyone said you were telling anyone to leave. I can tell you though, if I wanted those New York RSN's and liked professional football, I wouldn't stick around with Dish. They have a good product, but definitely not for the sports fan and especially in New York.

I agree when it comes to NY but not for everyone. I live in Iowa and I am able to watch all the sports I want. I will admit that DirecTV is more sports focused but all that additional stuff they offer doesn't trump the great features I get with my Hopper 3.

I get to watch all of my Iowa Hawkeye football and basketball games. I get to watch every Bears, Cubs and Blackhawks game unless there is a blackout. I don't need the Sunday Ticket because the Redzone channel fills my needs perfectly.

Dish with the Multi-Sports pack and an antenna gives me just about everything I need and my wife and I are pretty big sports fans.

I agree when it comes to NY but not for everyone. I live in Iowa and I am able to watch all the sports I want. I will admit that DirecTV is more sports focused but all that additional stuff they offer doesn't trump the great features I get with my Hopper 3.

I get to watch all of my Iowa Hawkeye football and basketball games. I get to watch every Bears, Cubs and Blackhawks game unless there is a blackout. I don't need the Sunday Ticket because the Redzone channel fills my needs perfectly.

Dish with the Multi-Sports pack and an antenna gives me just about everything I need and my wife and I are pretty big sports fans.

I think that describes most people. I have no actual studies or facts if any exist but generally the sports DISH carries is enough for most people. Obviously not those in NY, but even there DISH has stuck to their opinion they would not gain many subscribers to justify carrying the expensive suite of NY RSN's and it appears DISH does not want to go down the Directv Surcharge route. It's fair to say DISH sports is for most people and DIrectv is for those who want the most available though sometimes at a cost.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's really funny, in all these fights about which company is paying more for the channels up for contract negotiations or whether the tv provider will keep the channels at all, we the customers are the ones who ALWAYS pay more in the end , no matter who wins the fight.:coco
Yeah... it is incredible that every year, after several negotiations for transmission rights, the cost of programming goes up. Who would have guessed it?!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Sometimes it seems like people think by DISH negotiating hard and having disputes prices shouldn't go up, in reality the hope is they don't go up as much. I also think we may be missing another aspect, there have been many channels that now can be had in the lower tiers that were upper tiers. I have not compared to Directv but DISH has surpassed Charter and Brighthouse in that regard, I am more apt to get the channels I want in lower tiers with DISH. So some of the savings may be going towards giving lower tiers more channels. (Note that it is hard to compare some Cable options because they are nebulous, I have seen Brighthouse change tier offerings several times.)

In the real world, Dish establishes its prices against DirecTV. It will always undercut DirecTV and the cable companies, but otherwise will charge whatever the market will bear. I don't watch NFL and don't want Dish to pay more for the NFL Network, or take it out of Top 250 and I won't care what they pay for it.

Sometimes it seems like people think by DISH negotiating hard and having disputes prices shouldn't go up, in reality the hope is they don't go up as much. I also think we may be missing another aspect, there have been many channels that now can be had in the lower tiers that were upper tiers. I have not compared to Directv but DISH has surpassed Charter and Brighthouse in that regard, I am more apt to get the channels I want in lower tiers with DISH. So some of the savings may be going towards giving lower tiers more channels. (Note that it is hard to compare some Cable options because they are nebulous, I have seen Brighthouse change tier offerings several times.)

He is negotiating for higher profits..not lower prices

In the real world, Dish establishes its prices against DirecTV. It will always undercut DirecTV and the cable companies, but otherwise will charge whatever the market will bear.
Those two statements don't agree with each other. Dish is either charging as much as the market can bear or they aren't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)