NFL Playoffs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NateCohen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Is there ANY way I can watch the NFL playoffs/SUPERBOWL in HD? My locals aren't in HD and I don't want to miss the biggest games of the year in HD. This is crap they should allow us to watch the national DBS channels for the playoffs and Superbowl.

Your DBS company has zero control over what you are allowed to get or not DNS wise. What OTA antenna make & model do you use? How and how high up is it mounted and what heading? What DMA are you in (zip code)?

I don't have an OTA antenna up and I live in the area code 518. And my zip code is 12309. Also, do you guys think that the Superbowl will be shown on channel 95?

It's not up to DirecTV (or any other provider). The law says that if you are served by a local affiliate then you are considered "served". Availability of that station in HD has nothing to do with it. DirecTV would be breaking the law giving you an HD station from another market.
Only if you have no local CBS can DirecTV give you the one out of New York or LA. Again, HD has nothing to do with the rules, only that you have a local CBS, even if only SD.

Thank your local congressperson.

As for Superbowl on channel 95? Less then zero chance. Debate comes up every year but there is no way the network affiliates would ever let that happen, they pay HUGE money for ads in the Superbowl and no way will they allow you to watch a different feed.

Basically go to antennaweb.org and see if any of your stations are in HD and what antenna you need. Then stop by your local thread on the AVS Forum for you area to see what results others in your town get.

Good luck.

You are listed as a "Grade-A" signal in the network predictive model; based on your zip you are only 14 miles away from the broadcast towers and should have ZERO issues getting an OTA digital signal. They are also all located between 222° - 223° - your FOX says its freq assignment will be 7 (VHF-Lo) but try a Channel Master CM 4228 or even Winegard PR 8800. You should have it up an running perfectly in less than 1 hour.

It's not up to DirecTV (or any other provider). The law says that if you are served by a local affiliate then you are considered "served". Availability of that station in HD has nothing to do with it. DirecTV would be breaking the law giving you an HD station from another market.
Only if you have no local CBS can DirecTV give you the one out of New York or LA. Again, HD has nothing to do with the rules, only that you have a local CBS, even if only SD.

Thank your local congressperson.

As for Superbowl on channel 95? Less then zero chance. Debate comes up every year but there is no way the network affiliates would ever let that happen, they pay HUGE money for ads in the Superbowl and no way will they allow you to watch a different feed.

Basically go to antennaweb.org and see if any of your stations are in HD and what antenna you need. Then stop by your local thread on the AVS Forum for you area to see what results others in your town get.

Good luck.

bonscott,
Although the OP should be able to get his locals in HD fairly easily, D* HAS shown the Super Bowl on the National network, i think it was CBS in the 80's in previous years (once)... So it CAN be done, if they want to do so.
I highly doubt that it would be on 95, but if they decided to do that, they would simply use the original feed from the FOX network (this year it's on Fox).

Jimbo

As Jimbo & DF allude to, they (at least FOX) has also done the WS like that as well. Not saying that the SB will thought, just have to wait and see,

Yep, and it should be included in the current NFL ST/SF plan cost, but you know the NAB/affiliates would crap themselves & on everyone else over it, even though some user really do need satellite to get reliable network.

All playoff and Super Bowl games are on FREE to air channels and in HD.
The issue usually is, can the viewer get the local in HD, or local period.
Like Chaper said Most are in areas that have them available, but not all.

Jimbo

You are listed as a "Grade-A" signal in the network predictive model; based on your zip you are only 14 miles away from the broadcast towers and should have ZERO issues getting an OTA digital signal. They are also all located between 222° - 223° - your FOX says its freq assignment will be 7 (VHF-Lo) but try a Channel Master CM 4228 or even Winegard PR 8800. You should have it up an running perfectly in less than 1 hour.

Charper, I was wondering...I am in zip code 70118 and am having trouble getting CBS HD down here...I mean, I get it but it is very choppy...am I far from a tower as well?

I am not sure how you got all that and need some help in case my Saints make it to the Super Bowl :(

Here is the FCC Query tool; search ing will give you the broadcast tower's LAN/LON which you can plot into any software or online service to get the distance to any other entered location. What heading are you aimed at and what antenna make & model? Where is it mounted?

(FCC) http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

(Your CBS Grd-A) http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=74192 New Orleans

or

You can also use Antennaweb.org as a rough guess tool.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 101
So i've tried looking and is there HD channels for my zip code 14150 so i can see the Superbowl on CBS in HD... I know that D* is supposed to have local HD's up by the end of January.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts