NFL RZC a New Excuse for Charlie

Supercast is a great feature, being able to watch additiona feeds on your laptop and mobile phone is a great thing.

NFL Sunday Ticket is a great package for Football diehard who want to see every play from their favorite teams, however for many people the new RedZone gives them all the NFL they want and need. I think its a great addition to Dish Network.

So you got your laptop in your lap, your phone in one hand, a beer in the other and your TV on PIP. LOL, we need some pictures of that.

Going back to the original premise, DIRECTV and Dish have different views on how to attract subscribers. DIRECTV has been more sport oriented. NFLST is a great marketing vehicle. NFLRZ is a nice channel for people who want to see good plays but really do not care if they see whole games, a good channel for Dish to carry and save money.

Dish has always tried to have the low cost image. One can argue if they are really low cost, but that is the strategy they have always seemed to strive for. And as Charlie has said, Dish has lost all the die hard sports fans already, it is not like they are going to lose more subs by not carrying these channels. Dish has the HD capacity for NFLST, it is not a technological issue, it is a marketing issue.

The exclusivity of NFLST is what gives DIRECTV the edge. It is unclear how much DIRECTV loses on NFLST, but I do not know of any analysts or claims by DIRECTV that it makes money. It is probably a minor expense per sub written off as advertising.

At $300 a pop, it would take 2.333 million fulltime subscriptions to NFL ST for DirecTV to just break even on it.

That's over 6% of their subscriber base...

Put another way, that's each NFL stadium drawing 145,000 fans per week.

Are there that many die hard fans out there that will and can afford to fork out that much money?

I just don't see it.

At $300 a pop, it would take 2.333 million fulltime subscriptions to NFL ST for DirecTV to just break even on it.

That's over 6% of their subscriber base...

Put another way, that's each NFL stadium drawing 145,000 fans per week.

Are there that many die hard fans out there that will and can afford to fork out that much money?

I just don't see it.
It is not just residential accounts though.
From what I have read commercial (bars, ect..) accounts make up a large chunk of the return.

It is not just residential accounts though.
From what I have read commercial (bars, ect..) accounts make up a large chunk of the return.

Yes that is correct there "BAR" accounts spend a small fortune of NFL ST asi ti for commerical viewing.

And also NFL owners pay DTV for Ticket in the luxary boxes and tvs around the stadium and then the NFL ST portable devices that are 40 dollars to rent while your at the stadium ... DTV more then breaks even on it.

I have never seen anything that even remotely suggests that D* "breaks even" on Sunday ticket. In fact, the explanation I've always seen is that they know it's a money loser, but like the "cache" it brings.

They overpaid to be the sole outlet.

If they were making money on it, then the NFL is making a HUGE mistake in having it be an exclusive contract, and the NFL is not known for making mistakes like that...

Annual sub cost set at $49.99 for RZ/sports pack. Offer to Classic Silver or higher customers. Customer must talk with CSR themselves. Not done by dealer, yet

DishsubLA,

What crack are you smoking and where can i get some? As an Echostar stock holder the companies finanicals are solid. Charlie could afford 700 million a year on NFLST if he wanted to and still make back his money. As a long term dish sub for many years I watched make excuses for reason why we could not have NFL ST that is why I am excited you all had the chance to get Redzone as it a neat channel . But the only thing you said right was Charlie being anti media company which often hurts him more then helps.

Now as far as redzone being a replacement for NFL ST it just non DTV people making an excuse not to spen a few bucks.

Very few people pay full price for NFL ST.

There is 17 weeks of foot ball not 16. because ofthe one bye week everyone gets so techicnally there is 17 weeks of football games.

My problem is this if I am watching DN and have RZC on And there showing a great game like the denver one. I cant watch it as it was not airing in my area, rzc got me excited about the game and then enngh sorry denied. NFLST gives me the choice. I often have two games goin on 2 tvs and watching a 3rd via supercast on mylaptop while working.

So they really cant compare. But enjoy the RZC as it really is a good channel for watching clips of other games like sports center on crack.

Charlie's financials are solid precisely because he isn't paying out $700,000,000 per year for NFL ST, assuming that figure is correct. That leaves him with hardly a cushion. If he needed a lot of cash for some reason, he wouldn't have it. That's why Charles calls NFL ST "No Funds Left." Charlie was outbid by much deeper pockets. Furthermore, if it were the case that paying the ton of $$$ for NFL or MLB would still result in Dish making money, then Chuck would've giddily written the check. After all, Chuck does do and buy if it makes money and doesn't leave him with insufficient resources, but in this case it would have been financially reckless to do so. Haven't you heard the term, "House poor?" His aim is to make money isn't it? This is how a lot of even big companies go out of business. It nearly finished off Sirius/XM: Their high costs for Howard Stern and others, then more debt for the merger. Charlie doesn't' take those kinds of risks. He did try just about everything he could to get MLB, but couldn't pony-up more cash. When the Comcast/Disney merger seemed possible for a few days, Charlie stated pubically, that if that merger was allowed, Dish could not compete and he would either have to buy a big company or sell and "I'm on down the road." It is one of the reasons he tried so hard to merge with Direct TV.

Furthermore, if Charlie did mange to get NFL ST or MLB EI at the high cost, the only way he could afford it is to raise all his subscriber rates to pay for it, and that would take away the one advantage that Dish has against competitors (and that Dish continues to promote as it feels it is it greatest competitive edge): PRICE, as in "low price leader." Well, then it's over. Dish customers would fell that at the new large rate hike (the usual hike plus more to pay for NFL/MLB), they may as well, feeling great indignation at such an increase, subscribe to Direct, FiOS, AT&T, or Cable because the masses are clueless about the differences in DVR technology.

Last edited:
For those that wonder what the NFL RZ show set looks like its the set they use for the NFL show Around The League with all the small monitors behind the clear plastic that has the team logos on it. The center flat screen during the show has the Red Zone logo.

I was going to sign up for the sports pack to get NFL RZ online and it says I can't because I have the Turbo HD Bronze package. Guess they won't be getting my 6 bucks a month.

Yep, you need to qualify for RSNs to add the multisport pack. That means a minimum Classic 100+ or TurboHD Silver for English programming. (not sure what the requirements are on the Latino pack)

I decided to add the RZ channel and have watched nothing but it today. I very much enjoying it and will use it during the day when several games are on.

:up

That's what I watched today even though I had a choice between several HD games. If I was a die hard football fan and wanted to track my favorite team then this wouldn't do it. That said, I'm not and this is perfect for me.

I'm a huge college fan, and there is not a team on earth I'd pay the Sunday Ticket money to track. This channel is perfect, because I can see good highlights of every game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)