NFL Sunday Ticket up for grabs?

I thought I remembered hearing about how the NFL wants Sunday Ticket to be exclusive to one provider too. I seem to remember reading that they wanted to limit availability of Sunday Ticket to keep the Networks' games in demand with good ratings.
I don't see how limiting availability would translate into better ratings. You're limiting your potential audience by doing that.

I've been under the assumption that the NFL can demand more $$$ for the exclusivity, thus bringing in more revenue than if it was available to all providers....

I don't see how limiting availability would translate into better ratings. You're limiting your potential audience by doing that.

I've been under the assumption that the NFL can demand more $$$ for the exclusivity, thus bringing in more revenue than if it was available to all providers....

Now, as all my old college professors would say, Wikipedia isn't the best source for information. A quick google search on why Sunday Ticket is exclusive to Directv brought this up though. Take it with a grain of salt but that's probably where I remembered reading it from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

Still, the NFL has indicated that another reason they accepted DirecTV's bid was to limit the availability of the product so that the television networks and especially their local affiliates would be protected.[citation needed] In particular, NFL Sunday Ticket viewers do not count towards local Nielsen ratings; thus offering NFL Sunday Ticket on cable might cost CBS and Fox affiliates millions of dollars in lost revenue from local commercial breaks (as opposed to national ads sold by the networks). In turn, affiliates help subsidize the networks' programming costs

I know of five friends who have gotten free ST just because they called and complained about their bills and threatened to cancel.

I wish they would allow you to buy the teams you want to see. Ex: if I'm in Georgia, why couldn't I just buy the Bills and Seahawks (as an example).

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I wish they would allow you to buy the teams you want to see. Ex: if I'm in Georgia, why couldn't I just buy the Bills and Seahawks (as an example).

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

More money of course.When nba league pass first started,you could purchase a team pass,instead of buying the entire package.Of course they no longer offer that option.I'd love to see an NFL team deal,but it will never happen.

What the teans do to spread blackouts is beyond belief. Blacked out Buffalo games used to be shown of Syracuse TV because they were outside the 90 mile circle. Then the Bills found 6 houses on a rural road that were in the Syracuse designated viewing area that were within the 90 mile range and demanded that Syracuse blackout non sold out games. Then when the proposed 80% sell out rule was proposed, Buffalo opt out. They have 1 of the largest stadiums and are in a small market.
Do you think the NFL will be flexible.
NFL = No Fun League

College football is just as dirty a business as the NFL.
I actually consider it dirtier. It is run by "non-profit" institutions, who have cut the NCAA's (another dirty organization) power for a playoff system just to support the current dirty bowl system. And these schools have no problem selling $100 jersey's with the names of athletes who make no money at all on them. But these schools have no problem with their players getting favors from boosters. And when a school is caught, a coach can move on to another job with no consequences, unlike the poor guys he recruited (with the boosters help). The NFL is cleaner in that players are paid over the table and not under it.

and that's why I left them and concentrate on college football, the lesser of the $ business...
As people have noted above me, college football may be even more money concentrated. Worst part, a lot of it is on the taxpayer dime via "non-profit" status and publicly funded college programs.

But if there were any CEO who were willing to give a non-ST DirecTV a try, it is Mike White. He must hate the corner they seem to be painted in, but I do believe there is a point of price ol' Mike won't be willing to cross, but we'll have to see. It seems NFL prefers DirecTV to Google or anybody else, so it may not be just about the highest bid. It has to make sense to the NFL in preserving their product, as well. I do think the it is all about the bars, not so much the individual subscribers, and like many have said, it keep Dish OUT of a lot of bars leaving it almost all to DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts