NFL to televise eight Thursday night games on CBS

I don't know about you guys but I'll take a football game on TV every night of the week. Right now it's almost that way already between College and NFL. I may not be the norm because I like to bet on football and also love fantasy football.

Those programs can always be moved, and it keeps the competition from broadcasting the games against their shows...

True enough but there is just less room on the schedule after this. According to reports CBS was already considering shedding 1-2 sitcoms. i just think this makes it a bit more likely. Having said that the thread is more about football than the CBS Schedule.

I don't know about you guys but I'll take a football game on TV every night of the week. Right now it's almost that way already between College and NFL. I may not be the norm because I like to bet on football and also love fantasy football.
To much football as it is, Friday games would be going up against High School football and NFL die hards would miss their own kids games to watch instead of supporting sons or daughters if in anything supporting the game. Saturdays is for college, we already have SNF & MNF, don't need TNF, WNF and Thursday Night is already pushing it...

To much football as it is, Friday games would be going up against High School football and NFL die hards would miss their own kids games to watch instead of supporting sons or daughters if in anything supporting the game. Saturdays is for college, we already have SNF & MNF, don't need TNF, WNF and Thursday Night is already pushing it...
The NFL is banned by law from playing on Friday or Saturday between Labor Day and the 1st weekend of December, therefore we have Thursday Night Football.

banned by law, really?
Yep, it was part of the anti-trust exemption that allows the NFL to negotiate it's television deals as a conference and not by the teams.

The law stated that the NFL could not broadcast any game within 75 miles of a high school or college game on Friday or Saturday between Labor Day and the first weekend in December. They can still play, but can't broadcast it in those areas (ie, most of the country).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

Last edited:

I'm not saying I want NFL every night, I just want football on TV every night. MNF, TNF, SNF, NFL Sunday, College Wed, College Thurs and College Fri. right now and I love it. Give me a game on Tuesday and just make the match ups on the other days a little better.

I even enjoy watching some high school football on TV so I can see the top prospects playing. I still remember seeing Clowney playing on TV when he was in high school. He was the top rated player in the nation and you could see he was better than anyone else.

It's interesting that every network is trying to get more and more NFL games ... except for ABC. I still don't really get why they chose to move MNF from ABC to ESPN. Are they really getting better numbers from Dancing With The Stars or whatever garbage they now run on Monday nights?

It's interesting that every network is trying to get more and more NFL games ... except for ABC. I still don't really get why they chose to move MNF from ABC to ESPN. Are they really getting better numbers from Dancing With The Stars or whatever garbage they now run on Monday nights?
To increase the rights payments on ESPN that cable operators pay, as they've done with BCS Bowl games, Disney is moving all sports from ABC to ESPN.

I believe it was a corporate decision made by Disney/ABC/ESPN that the NFL programming being on ESPN would make it a more valuable commodity.

Just hope they get good games most nfl prime time games suck
That's the problem with schedule set in advance. With the current parity in the league, you never know at the beginning of the season which teams will be great and which ones suck.

At least with Sunday, NBC gets flexibility in the latter half of the seasons to move a game from earlier in the day to prime time, but Monday & Thursday are locked in.

Thats why I surprised to see CBS get those games. What if the games at the end of the years are a bunch of dog games?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts