NFLHD Quality This Week?

Raptorman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
SF Bay Area
I read the thread about the quality issues of last weeks 'HD' broadcast on NFL, I had missed the game because of family time. This week and the game looks fine for me. Its not very hd but its not pixeled or stuttering like ive seen in other broadcasts from the networks. Gumble I cant stand tho:rolleyes:

It is better than last week. Whereas last week I saw macro-blocking on almost every camera pan and slo-mo shot, this week I've only seen it on occasion. There is less "movement" of the grass surface. I'm surprised it is this much better in only 1 week's time.

I had a plumbing emergency but the little bit I did watch seemed better. Though certain parts were pixellated pretty bad .

Below are a couple of pics. The one that is so bad was a close-up pan and the picture literally went to sh*t. The other one is of what most of what I saw looked like.

Attachments

• 100_0707.jpg
    100_0707.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 100_0708.jpg
    100_0708.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 204
It did look much better this week. Last week there was stuttering movement everywhere. This week was smooth. Still not up to OTA qualuity, but definitely very watchable.

S~

I thought the picture was much better, but Gumbel was way worse. He just sux! They ran a replay of Chad making a nice high catch in the middle of the field and he described as he was tippy toeing down the sideline. And forget about down and distance, he can't even come close. Many times after a failed 3rd down he would state the ball was being turned over on downs, and then the punting unit would come out. How can the NFL let this continue?

Tell me about it. The second pic is great but the first is awful.

Signal strength is 103 on that TP. Box is set for 720p. I got tired of the more frequent pixellation in fast motion sequences at 1080i.

Signal strength does not really matter unless your signal is breaking up, you either get the channel or you don't in the digital world. Changing the output of your box from 1080i to 720p is not going to get rid of the pixilation, it is a problem at the source. NFL HD is broadcast in 1080i so theoretically setting the box to 1080i would be best as you are not doing any more conversions on the signal. But if you have a 720p display it has to get converted to that resolution at some point and then it is a matter of whether the box does it better or you TV.

This week was definately better than last week and if they can make another step improvement like this they will be on par with CBS and at the top of the list for PQ. Until then I consider it watchable but not nearly what HD should be.

Signal strength does not really matter unless your signal is breaking up, you either get the channel or you don't in the digital world. Changing the output of your box from 1080i to 720p is not going to get rid of the pixilation, it is a problem at the source. NFL HD is broadcast in 1080i so theoretically setting the box to 1080i would be best as you are not doing any more conversions on the signal. But if you have a 720p display it has to get converted to that resolution at some point and then it is a matter of whether the box does it better or you TV.

This week was definately better than last week and if they can make another step improvement like this they will be on par with CBS and at the top of the list for PQ. Until then I consider it watchable but not nearly what HD should be.
Can you not even comprehend the simple concept of the difference between resolution and the supporting bandwidth to support that resolution without pixellation?

Can you not even comprehend the simple concept of the difference between resolution and the supporting bandwidth to support that resolution without pixellation?

I fully understand it, not sure what your getting at. But in your quote "Box is set for 720p. I got tired of the more frequent pixellation in fast motion sequences at 1080i.", it sounds like you reduced the pixilation by changing the setting on the box. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how I took it and that won't reduce the pixilation.

Yes, this channel is starved for bandwidth, and causing these issues. But is it a network issue, dish issue, or both? I'm guessing both, as well as the HD-Lite Dish is providing.

NFL broadcast quality

One camera view appeared to be almost HD quality, even though my TV or receiver wasn't in HD mode. Hard to tell with an 811 - HD usually sucks - broadcast HD much better than 811's when I use TV's built in HD tuner. Other cameras beter than last week but stilll a ways to go.

I fully understand it, not sure what your getting at. But in your quote "Box is set for 720p. I got tired of the more frequent pixellation in fast motion sequences at 1080i.", it sounds like you reduced the pixilation by changing the setting on the box. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how I took it and that won't reduce the pixilation.
Reducing it reduced pixellation for me.

I spent a few hours playing with settings on my box one Saturday.

I had several recordings on my VIP and when I ran across a section of that vid that was pixellated, I changed to output resolution between 720p and 1080i. Back and forth. To my eyes in the several tests I did, changing to 720p did indeed reduce the amount of pixellation. It didn't cure it, but it reduced it. I can only attribute that to the receiver trying to take a sh*t signal and trying to turn it either into Gold or Platinum. The gold was better looking than the promised platinum.