EatMyVolts

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 19, 2007
pdx
NHK

Now that NHK has opened up their news feed to North America, TVB | NHK Opens Signal to U.S. Platforms, might there be any chance of Dish picking it up? Apparently, for a short time, NHK is offering it free of charge.

Yes, I realize that I can pick it up on an internet stream; this would just make it easier.

Now that NHK has opened up their news feed to North America, TVB | NHK Opens Signal to U.S. Platforms, might there be any chance of Dish picking it up? Apparently, for a short time, NHK is offering it free of charge.

Yes, I realize that I can pick it up on an internet stream; this would just make it easier.

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area you can get NHK World broadcast over the air on channel 26.2

Not in SFO, and I was looking for the English language service.

Yeah, I know, soon; right after BBC World and Al-Jazeera English :dead

Would be nice if Dish would get NHK World (English feed) and turn it loose for everyone during this awful situation.

Channel 640 (TV Japan) is available for free now. It is in Japanese, but it also has a second audio channel featuring NHK Word in English as I type this. Menu>Preferences>Alternate Languages>Japanese

I always have mine set to "Japanese" because oddly, that usually provides English audio if available. And I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it defaults back to "English" (actually Japanese) anytime no English audio is being transmitted.

Yes, since the very start of the disaster 640 has been open. I have to say it is great. In fact, CNN and others often cut to this feed for their coverage. Of course, this is for those looking at 118 (or another location I may be unaware of). Seeing the cabinet head, whose department is responsible for disaster response, answering questions and making announcements has been pure gold for its information and typical government downplay (along the lines of "Oh, no, its only a little radiation" "No cause for anxiety" "It won't come to that" "Oh, instead of a 6 mile radius, we're going to evacuate a 20 mile radius as a precaution" "Yes, there was an explosion at the reactor, but it doesn't mean . . .") of what are real nuclear dangers that really could happen, and now things have gotten worse at the power plants. It's clear who the Prime Minister has chosen to take the fall for this if it doesn't work out well who has now had to admit a "high risk of radiation" after all the downplaying. It will be interesting to see if the House of Representatives ends up with a vote of no confidence in the Prim Minister if the nuclear problem get really, really bad. Three reactors! And it happened on his watch. Interesting to see how this plays out politically.

Last edited:
Not for me, all I have is 641,TVJPN in red. No 640 on my receivers

Channel 640 (TV Japan) is available for free now. It is in Japanese, but it also has a second audio channel featuring NHK Word in English as I type this. Menu>Preferences>Alternate Languages>Japanese

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

The audio does default to English, but at one time (I think it's been patched now on most if not all receivers) my 721 (a now retired model) did not pass through Dolby Digital unless the alternate audio was manually set back to English on DD channels. I thought my 721 was broken and stumbled onto this little bug. I just tried it on my 622 and the DD works fine when alternate audio is set to Japanese so it is no longer an issue on this model. But it is something to look at on older receivers just in case.

Not for me, all I have is 641,TVJPN in red. No 640 on my receivers

Channel 640 is at 61.5 (Eastern Arc) and 118.7 (Western Arc+International Services requiring Dish 500Plus, Dish 1000Plus). Unfortunately it is not available in the standard Western Arc set-up. Channel 641 is on 119° on a Hawaii spot beam only so if you aren't in Hawaii, you cannot "see" the channel. Sorry.

Makes sense, so back to my original thought, make it, NHK World, available for everyone?

Channel 640 is at 61.5 (Eastern Arc) and 118.7 (Western Arc+International Services requiring Dish 500Plus, Dish 1000Plus). Unfortunately it is not available in the standard Western Arc set-up. Channel 641 is on 119° on a Hawaii spot beam only so if you aren't in Hawaii, you cannot "see" the channel. Sorry.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

While not 24/7, a fair amount of NHK in English is broadcast on many local Public TV stations' multi-plexed channels.

Sorry, I assumed that TV Japan, an international package, would be in a foreign language like other internationals I've seen. Never assume. :eek:

Now I'm told that TV Japan is in the clear, for now, if you have 118. I'm not ready for a third dish on my roof.

I can get, and am getting NHK, streaming into my netbook hooked up to my TV. I was just hoping for an easier, integrated, way.

I'd still pay a reasonable amount for an English language international package (Japan, BBC world, Al-Jazeera, etc.) on the western arc.

I'd pay for one on the Eastern Arc! The present basic International package needs a little more substance.

There are two feeds from NHK ( 3 if you count HD)

Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E - LyngSat 4060mhz H

I have MHZ worldview directv channel 2183 and they have been carrying NHK world (English feed) throughout most of the day for the last 24 hrs, TV Japan dish ch 640 is actually NHK world Premium feed (the Domestic & Japanese feed seen OTA in Japan), but the alternate audio on 640 is now NHK world english which is why the translation does not always match up, During the time in the EPG with FREE TVJ like News 7 (7pm in Japan) and News 9 from 6am through 9am eastern (US) the translation matches up because at this point in time NHK world (English ch) is simulacasting the English translation of News 7 and News 9. Hope that makes sense.

Bummer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)