NHL Center Ice HD

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Could someone with Dish tell us what Dishs' plans are to have more NHL games in HD. This year I notice the only ones in HD are the ones that are carried by the RSNs that Dish carries, plus the ones on the NHL Network as well as NBC & NBC Sports Network.

I've noticed that Directv carries the majority of their NHL CI games in HD, including Canadian feeds (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet). Dish seems to be behind in this category. I even noticed that Directv carries HD games from MSG Network in their CI package.

Is Dish planning on catching up for next year? It'd be nice. At one time Dish was ahead of Directv in CI. Now Directv seems to be ahead.

Let us know what Dish plans to do to catch up.

:confused:

Last edited:
I thought the NHL Center Ice Package was a separate entity that was sold by Indemnd to the cable and satellite companies. At least that was the explanation I received when MSG and Time Warner had their dispute, and that is why I still received the Islanders and Devils games on MSG on Centerice during the dispute, but didn't receive the Sabres or Rangers, because of NHL blackout rules. We get the HD feeds for basically everything now, except for the TSN games, unless they are on the NHL Network.

This year I notice the only ones in HD are the ones that are carried by the RSNs that Dish carries, plus the ones on the NHL Network.
Don't forget the ones on NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus), and NBC broadcast.

I've been getting NHLCI on DISH for years. The HD games offered have gone down recently. I'm coming up to a decision to switch carriers or not buy C.I. in the future. It makes NO sense to offer 1 game with 2 feeds in HD, and some games with NO HD feeds.:rant:

I've been getting NHLCI for years. The HD games offered have gone down recently. I'm coming up to a decision to switch carriers or not buy C.I. in the future. It makes NO sense to offer 1 game with 2 feeds in HD, and some games with NO HD feeds.:rant:

Actually NHL Gamecenter is starting to make more sense to subscribe to, especially since you can view it on any mobile device and still hdmi it from a laptop to a hd tv.

I've been getting NHLCI on DISH for years. The HD games offered have gone down recently. I'm coming up to a decision to switch carriers or not buy C.I. in the future. It makes NO sense to offer 1 game with 2 feeds in HD, and some games with NO HD feeds.:rant:

Some times the reason that you don't get HD feeds is that the broadcaster is NOT broadcasting in HD this is, of course not Dish's fault.

sorry but pretty much all games are in HD now so I dont by the reason you're giving...

The issue is for the US based teams if Dish doesnt carry the RSN it isnt in HD...period. Thats why any game from MSG (and MSG+ and MSG alt) and CSN Philly isnt in HD
Canadian teams unless its from CBC or Toronto it usually isnt in HD. If its 2 Canadian teams then all bets are off

Actually NHL Gamecenter is starting to make more sense to subscribe to, especially since you can view it on any mobile device and still hdmi it from a laptop to a hd tv.
Since it says "Out of Market" I assume that means that we're SOL watching the Sabres here in WNY in regards to Game Center.

sorry but pretty much all games are in HD now so I dont by the reason you're giving...

The issue is for the US based teams if Dish doesnt carry the RSN it isnt in HD...period. Thats why any game from MSG (and MSG+ and MSG alt) and CSN Philly isnt in HD
Canadian teams unless its from CBC or Toronto it usually isnt in HD. If its 2 Canadian teams then all bets are off

Are you sure about that? Have you looked at Directv's NHL CI schedule recently? It looks like most of their games (including most Canadian ones besides Toronto) are in HD.

I'm talking about Dish here

But Directv is still hindered by the Canadian HD issue. Case in point
tonight..Sharks @ Oilers. Sharks feed in HD. Oilers in SD
tomorrow...Sharks @ Flames....same thing (Flames feed in SD)
Wednesday is Ottawa/Montreal...SD only
Stars/Jets and Jackets/Oilers there is only one feed (the US one)
Coyotes/Canucks...Coyotes feed in HD Canucks in SD

dwarren2 said:
Since it says "Out of Market" I assume that means that we're SOL watching the Sabres here in WNY in regards to Game Center.

Correct. Sabres games are blacked out on Gamecenter based on IP address or location services on the device you are watching on. If you are in the Sabres territory you are blacked out unless you spoof your IP address. On the bright side, none of the other teams are blacked out. The Gamecenter app is great when on the road....watched the Sabres game tonight on my ipad in my hotel room while on business travel. NHL Gamecenter app available on most streaming boxes, PS3, xBox, etc.

Right, it all depends on what team you bought CI for if the HD is a problem or not. I feel cheated myself, my wife is a Maple Leafs fan, and virually none of the games are in HD if she wants to watch the Maple Leafs feed. Only NHL Network games and ones on NBC Sports are in HD. Since I already get my Red Wings games from my RSN, I feel like CI was overpriced for what I bought. I may consider gamecenter next year, except I don't know if I can time shift the games, which would be a requirement.

Which is why I am a firm believer to tell SD subs too bad, and dump SD feeds for all channels broadcasting in HD. Force them to switch! Too bad, so sad. Instead we are left with sub par offerings in some areas. And a cry from providers about no room left on our satellites. It's like owning a blu-ray player and being told that because of space issues, some of my selections will have to be viewed on VHS.

Bent82 said:
Right, it all depends on what team you bought CI for if the HD is a problem or not. I feel cheated myself, my wife is a Maple Leafs fan, and virually none of the games are in HD if she wants to watch the Maple Leafs feed. Only NHL Network games and ones on NBC Sports are in HD. Since I already get my Red Wings games from my RSN, I feel like CI was overpriced for what I bought. I may consider gamecenter next year, except I don't know if I can time shift the games, which would be a requirement.

Games are available for replay on Gamecenter usually within 1-4 hours of their completion (except for your home team which will appear within 24 hours).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)