Status
Not open for further replies.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=1&u=/ap/20050707/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_nhl_lockout

Report: NHL Players, League Reach Deal
10 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - The NHL and its players' association reached a tentative deal on a new collective bargaining agreement that, if finalized, would end a lengthy lockout, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources close to the negotiations, said the agreement will feature a hard salary cap linked to 54 percent of league revenue, a 24 percent rollback of existing contracts and qualifying offers. It will also include a provision that will limit the salary of any player to 20 percent of the team cap figure in any season.

The salary cap will be $37 million and won't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the Times reported.

Details will be presented to the NHL executive committee in New York on Monday, the newspaper said, and players will meet to decide whether to approve the deal.

Under the new agreement, the league's All-Star game will be dropped next season and players will be allowed to represent their home countries at the Turin Olympics next February, the Times said. Each team will also have an equal chance in the lottery for the No. 1 pick in this year's entry draft.

The new deal includes a provision under which 15 percent of each player's paycheck will go into an escrow account until revenue is calculated after each season, the paper said. If league spending on salaries exceeds 54 percent of revenue, the difference between the salaries paid and the negotiated percentage will be paid to teams from the escrow account. If teams spend less than 54 percent, the escrow money will revert to players.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the hockey season Feb. 16 because of the lockout, which started Sept. 16. The NHL became the first major pro sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute.

Glad to see this come to an end (possibly).

Hopefully they will still get some TV time when they do play.

Hockey in HD is great to watch.

dont be so sure about that

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/07/07/Sports/hockey-deal-latimes050707.html

NHL, players' union deny report of tentative labour deal
WebPosted Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:12:55 EDT
CBC Sports
The NHL and its players' union have denied a newspaper report suggesting a tentative deal has been reached on a new collective bargaining agreement to end the 10-month hockey lockout.

INDEPTH: Faceoff 2004-05

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cancelled the 2004-05 season on Feb. 16.
In its Thursday edition, the Los Angeles Times said details of a tentative agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the owners would be presented to the league and the players at separate meetings Monday.

However, officials from the NHL and NHLPA have dismissed the story

another article

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129820

Lockout not settled yet

TSN.ca Staff

7/7/2005 9:42:39 AM

The NHL lockout continues to dwindle down to its final days and hours, but the new deal between the NHL and NHL Players' Association is not yet done, despite a report in the Los Angeles Times suggesting an agreement has been reached.

"It's an inaccurate report," an NHLPA spokesman told TSN.

The league also denied the report, with vice-president of communications Bernadette Mansur telling TSN that the report was not true.

This long and drawn out process won't actually be complete until every "i" has been dotted and every "t" has been crossed and representatives of the NHL and NHLPA sign off on the agreement, pending ratification.

And that moment, sources tell TSN, is definitely not going to happen today. The earliest projections of when that might occur are some time this weekend, although sources close to the NHLPA are suggesting it could easily carry into next week. The NHL has been targeting this weekend as the wrap up and even scheduled an NHL board of governors' executive committee meeting on Monday in New York City.

no offence, but I would believe articles from the CBC & TSN loooong before I believe a LA Times article :)

i am thinking about getting a 1/2 season or 1/4 season package. hopefully they might lower prices to get the fans back.

korsjs said:
hopefully they might lower prices to get the fans back.
If they still have fans.

The salary cap would be $37 million and wouldn't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the Times reported.
You know, if I was making $37m, I know that my medical and dental benefits would be extremely high up on my list of concerns in my new contract. Pension too. :no

f**kheads et al...both players and owners with Gary Bettman being the biggest Jackass of 'em all. I love Hockey, our beloved National Pastime, but the NHL is going to $uffer financially for years to come due to their business mismanagement and overpriced player salaries; they F'ed themselves - just look at next years television contracts!!! I am seriously considering boycotting the 2005-2006 season...surely won't be able to see any games on ESPN/ESPN2.

Neutron said:
Good, I'll be able to see my Dallas Stars again!

Neutron you have to go see the Texas Tornado in Frisco. They are so much more fun to watch than NHL games and they are a very good team. I go see them whenever I go visit my sister, usually around Thanksgiving, and it's cheap with a very high entertainment value. The last one I went to they were playing Santa Fe, at one point ever single guy on the ice was fighting then the goalies went at it. The box was so full of players.

Great fun!

I'll be happy once it comes back....and hopefully CBC hires the main man back

I miss seeing Don Cherry's rants!!!!

riffjim4069 said:
The CBC broadcasts put ESPN/ABC to shame! You guys living up north are lucky...hmmm, can I receive CBC via an FTA receiver? If so, where do I point the dish? :D

CBC scrambled all the signals :(

I get it via StarChoice (grey market)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts