Niagara Falls hotel deal (in Ontario, Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget everyone that passport requirements are changing Jan 23rd for air travel. You need a passport to get back into the country. Those traveling by land or sea get a break until Jan 2008.

You say you picked your spa treatment. The offer says one spa treatment. I am wondering is that one each or just one total included in the deal?

Just one total. So let's see, who gets the treatment? :haha She picked the facial.

Also, only one supper is included, so one of us will be paying full freight. They won't lose on that deal.

Also, you probably know, you can often request a late checkout. Hotels will often give you at least an extra hour.

Google, MapQuest and Street Atlas all come up with varying drive times/distance, from 6 to over 9 hours. We plan on 8. Should be back Tuesday NLT 5, absolutely must have her back at work by 7 that night. There's some fudge factor, but we figure we'd better be back on the road between 8 & 9 a.m. to be on the safe side. So thanks about the late checkout- no good to us this time. What we would have loved was an early check in, but we've worked around that.

I think tonight I'll run the routes by you folks to see which is best.

And we plan to bring our passports, even though we won't need them this trip. It's easiest. And having some Canadian money from previous trips with us will help with the Canadian side tolls, etc.

OK, if I may ask another question. I have a couple of alternatives to get from the DC area to NF. Keeping in mind the current forecast is for snow around Buffalo, which route would likely be best? Quickest is "best" in my mind, but if the roads leave something to be desired, or driving thru towns would make the shorter distance actually longer, I'd best stick to the longer, all interstate route.

Take I-70/76/79 to Erie, then I-90 to Buffalo?

Or I-70 to I-99 to I-80 to route 219 to Buffalo? (about 75 miles shorter distance, but ~70 miles are on 219)

Is 219 a decent road? 4 lanes? Lots of little towns? Bad idea if the weather's bad?

I appreciate any advice on choosing a route.

Ok... I am not good at directions at all. But my husband drives on business all over the NE because it is his territory. He is in Salt Lake City, UT at the main office until Thursday so couldnt write it out for me but I spoke to him on the phone.

Do NOT go the way of 219.... definitely not at this time of year.

My brother in law takes the first way you mentioned... I 70/76/79 etc and he prefers that way. It usually takes him 9 1/2 hours because he travels with a young daughter and stops frequently.

My husband takes a different route and it takes him less time and virtually no tolls. I hope you can look at a map and try to follow this because I got it in a nutshell. Otherwise stick with the first way.

He takes 270 to Frederick and picks up 15... takes 15 to Corning and picks up 390 then you can pick up 90 but it would take you via Rochester and add a little time. He goes 390 to 63 to 98 to 90.... Phew
I bet you are sorry you asked!!!!!!!

How fast to pass the border if by car from the falls. I am intend to drive to toronto this summer from dallas, texas to attent a wedding party. Or we flight to toronto and rent car there, which is better deal. hoo

navychop, my family did the NF to DC route back in August. You might want to consider going up thru Baltimore on 83 and hitting 15 from Harrisburg, north into the Southern Tier of New York, then take 86 over to 390. Not much in the way of tolls (thinking PA Turnpike), and you won't be along the lake so much in case of freak lake-effect snows.

Route 15 is a four-lane freeway for long stretch, from about Harrisburg to Williamsport with the exception of Selinsgrove where there are lights. Once past Williamsport, Route 15 is a four-lane freeway again until just north of Mansfield. And I'd definitely avoid the 390 into Rochester. Like SatelliteGal says, jumping off before Rochester would be smart.

We came up from Williamsburg, VA, to NF, and took 219. If you like the scenic route, go for it. We stayed overnight in Altoona, but that wasn't anywhere near the fastest way to go. And you never know the weather there.

Here is a link to a Live WebCam at the falls AND on the CA. side.

http://www.fallsview.com/Stream/HiResStill.shtml

I hope this isn't considered SPAM but it IS a COOL VIEW and you can tell what the weather is like too.

BryanSR

OK, thanks. That's 2 more routes to consider.

SKSatellite:

Your decision might be made by answering the following two questions:
1. Is your trip in whole or part on or after 1/23/07?
2. Do you have a current passport?

If the answer to 1 is yes and 2 is no, you will drive. As of 1/23/07, passports are required to fly in and out of Canada, Mexico and most Caribbean islands. It takes about 6 weeks to get a passport and costs about $100 for an adult. You can drive still, without a passport. Eventually passports will be required for that, too. If you drive be sure to bring proof of residency.

And bryansr- not spam to me. Thanks.

Thank you. We figured the all interstate route might be quicker, although longer, especially due to mountains. Looks like 219 plows right thru them.

Since we are a bit west of the DC area, the difference between going the interstates 70 76 79 90 route and the US 15 I-80/86/390/90 route is only about 35 miles. But the time estimate is almost identical. So if it looks like little or no snow from Erie to Buffalo Saturday, we’ll go the all interstate route. Otherwise, we’ll take US 15.

Probably take the truck, although the weather is looking better. Weather Underground and Weather.com have considerably different forecasts. Or foreguesses.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

navychop, US 219 does plow right through them. Except for the fact that in northern PA and southern NY, it is a two-lane highway. You slow considerably about 30 minutes outside of Altoona once 219 becomes a two-lane highway.

You would, however, visit Punxatawney. :)

BTW, sksatellite:

Toronto is a wonderful city. We love going there. We stayed last time at a bed and breakfast for very reasonable cost. You certainly should see the CN Tower if you get a chance. We also enjoyed Casa Loma, and the tour of the legislative buildings.

Most of all, visit Toronto underground, called PATH, and maybe use their subway if you have a chance. PATH is 27 km of underground walkways linking dozens of office buildings and hundreds of shops, restaurants, etc. Keeps you out of the snow and weather. See this link. There is a fort, Fort York I think, that was well worth the trip, and where they tactfully explain how they whipped our butts way back when. :p

I simply can't say enough good about the city, but I'll shut up now before I bore you to tears. There are many, many other attractions. Some of the Canadian wine is quite good (we didn't care for the ice wine) and you can tour breweries and learn how they keep the good stuff for themselves and only export the average stuff to us. :p OK, I said I'd shut up, now I will. Of course, it's not far to the falls from Toronto.

BTW, sksatellite:

Toronto is a wonderful city. We love going there. We stayed last time at a bed and breakfast for very reasonable cost. You certainly should see the CN Tower if you get a chance. We also enjoyed Casa Loma, and the tour of the legislative buildings.

Most of all, visit Toronto underground, called PATH, and maybe use their subway if you have a chance. PATH is 27 km of underground walkways linking dozens of office buildings and hundreds of shops, restaurants, etc. Keeps you out of the snow and weather. See this link. There is a fort, Fort York I think, that was well worth the trip, and where they tactfully explain how they whipped our butts way back when. :p

I simply can't say enough good about the city, but I'll shut up now before I bore you to tears. There are many, many other attractions. Some of the Canadian wine is quite good (we didn't care for the ice wine) and you can tour breweries and learn how they keep the good stuff for themselves and only export the average stuff to us. :p OK, I said I'd shut up, now I will. Of course, it's not far to the falls from Toronto.

hmmmm my pass port still have four more years before expire, last visit canada is four years ago at B C for Vancouver and Victoria, very nice place. we may have a week at Toronto this time and my digital camera will be very busy. Thanks your info.

22 hours of driving time one way must give you pause. But it lets you combine the trip with a mini vacation with side trips. Flying is such a hassle today.

Well, lake effect snows in the southern tier tonight and part of tomorrow. Hopefully it will be clear by your travel dates/times.
Not that the exchange rate is very good right now but because it is "right over the border" they have no problems with american or canadian money.

Yeah, just saw the Erie warnings - thru 4 p.m tomorrow. We intend (ed?) to drive tomorrow to a place east of Erie and stay overnight, getting to NF Sunday. If there's snow thru 4 p.m. tomorrow, is it likely that the roads will be fine for travel near Erie and on toward NF by say, 6 p.m.- when we're likely to hit Erie?

From our local weather forecaster:
A LAKE SNOW WARNING is in effect for So. Erie, Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Co's. until 5 PM Saturday though the heaviest of the snow should fall prior to Saturday afternoon. A LAKE SNOW ADVISORY is in effect for Niagara, Orleans Wyoming and McKean Co's. Expect accumulations of 4-8" in ski country, 2-5" in the advisory area with only occasional snow showers producing 1" or less around the cities of Buffalo-Niagara Falls. Gusty winds will produce blowing snow resulting in limited visibility and difficult travel in the hardest hit areas. Heavier lake snow will persist in areas mainly south and north of the metro overnight and Saturday morning however a Lake Huron snow band may drift So'ward overnight resulting in a heavier burst of snow even around the city. Conditions become less favorable for the lake snow Saturday afternoon and fairly tranquil weather will finish up the weekend. Rather wintry weather will persist even next week with occasional snow showers and possibly some more lake snow...

Stay tuned to WeatherWatch 4 for the latest on this lake effect snowstorm tonight at 11pm on News 4 and at 10pm on CW 23...

So, taking that into consideration...... IF things go as expected without the Lake Huron storm you should be fine. Still take the truck if it has 4WD ... you will probably run into a few spots along the way. The expressways should be ok though. They do know how to handle these things very well around here.

Thanks. We certainly are taking the 4WD truck- I was just wondering if we should take the more easterly route, avoiding driving along the lake. So thank you for your reassurance.

Thank you. I'll do that now, and just before we leave tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)