NICE AND EASY: Can you record streaming content on your Gemini?

This is another one of those articles that could be one word long if I wanted it to. And, that word would be:

No.

But of course, there’s a little more to the story than that. There’s the question of why you can’t do that.

Gemini: the best of both worlds​

With the DIRECTV Gemini for Satellite, you get one device that acts like a DIRECTV DVR and also like a streaming box. Using the Android TV operating system, Gemini can run practically any streaming app in the Google Play Store. It also runs a special, purpose-built app called “Gemini” which makes the box look and act exactly like a Genie client. It’s a cool idea if you think about it.

Since Gemini was first released, it’s become really popular. As the first new Genie hardware from DIRECTV since 2015, it had a built-in base of folks who were hungry for new hardware. But after that, we’ve seen a wave of people who are just getting into DIRECTV and have all sorts of questions. This is one that comes up pretty often.

Recording streaming content: is it even technically possible?​

There are two issues with the idea of recording streaming content from a Gemini. First there’s the technical matter of exactly how you would do that. The Gemini gets video and audio from the Genie DVR when you are watching satellite TV. However, it never sends video or audio to the Genie DVR. When you’re streaming, that content is coming straight from the internet to your Gemini. It’s never going to your Genie DVR. So, that’s a big reason why you can’t record it.

If you were going to add the ability to record streaming content onto a DIRECTV DVR, that DVR would need to have those apps built-in, rather than being part of the client. That’s not technically impossible to achieve, but it’s not the way DIRECTV does it. DISH uses an addon called Hopper Plus that adds app support and connects straight to the Hopper. From a technical point of view, that would mean the Hopper could actually record streaming content. But, in practice it doesn’t. Why? Because of the second issue.

Recording streaming content is a legal nightmare​

If a company like DIRECTV wanted to create something to record content from a streaming app, it would be the beginning of a legal mess like no other. DIRECTV’s lawyers would have to negotiate with each streaming app individually, much like they negotiate with every pay-TV channel. It’s not clear how much a company like Netflix would charge to allow DIRECTV to do this.

Keep in mind DIRECTV is a for-profit company and if their equipment did record streaming content as part of the service it charges customers for, that would open up a whole battle. It’s clearly against the terms of service for every single streaming app. Or, at least, I presume it is. Like you, I skimmed over a lot of that stuff when I signed up for those apps. Maybe that was a bad idea but we all do it, honestly.

I’m not completely sure how a company like Netflix would know that a DIRECTV DVR was recording something as it was being streamed, but my guess is that they would. DIRECTV could just record the raw data stream but then they would have to essentially hack the Netflix app to decode it. More likely, this would be done by extracting the video and audio in real time as a program was “playing” inside the Genie. That in itself isn’t hard to do but it does violate the agreements that DIRECTV has with the people who build copy protection into HDMI.

Like I said, it’s a real mess.

If DIRECTV’s Gemini can’t do it, is there anything that can?​

It seems to me that several years ago there was a box on Kickstarter that promised to do something like this. It was designed for people with congested internet connections. The idea was that it would pull the content in the middle of the night, record it, and let you watch it on your schedule. I don’t know what happened to that box but I am just guessing its makers were sued into oblivion.

From a purely technical point of view, there’s nothing stopping you from cobbling together some video capture equipment and recording content from a streaming app. People seem to do it all the time. I know you would need some way to defeat the content protection built into that stuff, and I know that technically that stuff can’t be sold in the US without creating civil lawsuits. But, I have a feeling that if you were inclined to look through the seedier parts of the web, and had an enterprising spirit, it wouldn’t be that hard.

There’s a big difference, though, between you recording stuff yourself with some homebrew device and DIRECTV doing it for you. In either case, it goes against terms of service and whoever built the device could be sued. Chances are, though, you’re not likely to get sued for pulling down a copy of The Little Mermaid so your kid can watch it while you’re in the car. A big company like DIRECTV… they could get sued and sued big.

So no, you can’t do that. But that shouldn’t stop you from upgrading your DIRECTV system.​

If you are ready to upgrade your DIRECTV system for home, RV, boat, or business, call the experts! Solid Signal is a DIRECTV Dealer of the Year. We’re here to help you! Call us during East Coast business hours. You’ll reach our corporate offices in Novi Michigan, not some overseas call center. Our people know their stuff and we care about our customers.

Call 888-233-7563. You’ll be glad you did. Or, fill out the form below and we’ll contact you as quickly as possible!

The post NICE AND EASY: Can you record streaming content on your Gemini? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)