Nice article about the 722

IT confirms what most subs already knew; DISH has the best dvrs . Had both services and I concur with his review. DIRECTV needs to make Tivo their standard for all dvrs once again or use echostar receivers. THat would be cool if Echostar would make versions of their dvrs that could work with either DIRECTV or DISH. A flip of the switch on the remote and you could set up your dvr to work with either sat service. That way you could easily go between either sat service with a simple smart card change.

It says that you can connect two external hard drives, which I happen to have. I hooked up the second drive to the front USB port and the Dish 722 does not recognize it. It does light up, but is not added to the info screen and the available MB stay the same. Does anyone know how I can get it to work

Installers carry $49 Ethernet home plug adapters? This is news to me. I have a Fry's, so I can get mine for as low as $17 with a black Friday sale, but most people are at the mercy of Best Buy that charges $80+.

=========
Just read the DirectTV portion of the interview... Doesn't the HR21 allow for the addition of an external SATA hard drive to replace the internal drive? It's not the same as Dish's archiving, but it's something.

Last edited:
It says that you can connect two external hard drives, which I happen to have. I hooked up the second drive to the front USB port and the Dish 722 does not recognize it. It does light up, but is not added to the info screen and the available MB stay the same. Does anyone know how I can get it to work

You can only use one external hard drive at a time presently. SO if you want the front external hd to work ,then uplug the back external hd and vice a versa.

You can only use one external hard drive at a time presently. SO if you want the front external hd to work ,then uplug the back external hd and vice a versa.

Thanks for the answer, but that is what I have been boing with just one USB plug. And it looks a lot nicer without the USB cable coming out of the front of my 722. PS I tried the USB port on the front it will not recognize the external hard drive. It only works with the rear port.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer, but that is what I have been boing with just one USB plug. And it looks a lot nicer without the USB cable coming out of the front of my 722. PS I tried the USB port on the front it will not recognize the external hard drive. It only works with the rear port.
I use the front USB port with my 622, so the front port does work also.

Well for you D* guy's they did say the HR21 is sufficient. :eek::p

I've never had d*, and have had e* for nine years. d* is way ahead of e* in HD programming here in Hawaii, but I still can't switch to d* because I love e*'s dvrs. I currently have the 722, and though I've never used d*'s unit, I have seen many reviews similar to the Playback (used to be "Perfect Vision") one. Every one hased raved about the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts