Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 18

Well the main thing is that it frees up a Dish satellite to move to 61.5 to take over some work from the failing E3. With more capacity on 61.5, they should be able to handle some more HD.
AMC-14 was scheduled for 61.5 until it's unfortunate demise. Now E-15 (scheduled 4th quarter 2010 launch) is effectively supposed to replace E-3.

Dish never planned to fully utilize E12 anyways. They don't need to use any of the beams beyond the Mid US since Ciel-2 handles that area very well. The spotbeams on E12 were designed to be each fed by one uplink center. One some of the beams, dishes uses 1 uplink to feed 2 beams, which in turn they are not reusing the uplink frequencies efficiently so they have to turn off several transponders on each beam.

One thing that Dish will gain is going from QPSK 5/6 to 8PSK 2/3 on all 16 transponders. I'm hearing October for this. Instant 160 megabit gain on this satellite.

Yeah, I forgot about the poor uplink reuse Cablevision designed. Still, I think there would be some improvement from moving CONUS load to E6. I hope there is. I'm stuck getting my HD locals from a spot TP with 4 HD and 13 MPEG4 SD channels. I think low spot capacity in the east is a big reason the CW and MNTV rollouts (not to mention any possibility of PBS) are so slow.

Also, the QPSK TPs are the ones holding international programming. Isn't there plans to eliminate that (repointing to 118.7), thus giving even more gain for HD?

Actually it is the other way around. Cablevision designed the system with a hi-reuse of the uplink frequencies. You have to remember they didn't have a ton of licenses on 61.5 to begin with. So they did with what they they were given.

I'm not sure of the plans of the international left on 61.5, to be honest I haven't looked to see what is duplicated between the two and why. Possibly some areas that are not in the 48 states can not see 118.7?

AMC-14 was scheduled for 61.5 until it's unfortunate demise. Now E-15 (scheduled 4th quarter 2010 launch) is effectively supposed to replace E-3.

Most likely they will rush E6 over since it looks like they are down 5 TPs on on E3 and E12 has power issues. They will have to do something until a replacement gets up there.

Everthing on schedule for launch two weeks from today. The satellite fueling has been completed and work began today on its intergration into the launch system.

Silence on future plans for E6 with no FCC filing for use in other slots.

Everthing on schedule for launch two weeks from today. The satellite fueling has been completed and work began today on its intergration into the launch system.

Silence on future plans for E6 with no FCC filing for use in other slots.

Given that it will probably take a month or two to test out N5, I suspect they are just going to wait until N5 is successfully in orbit before they file for E6. Plus they have to do that whole change of country control on the satellite.

Last I heard, the plan is for to move to even TPs at 72.7 around 9/29, I suspect this is when they will transition to the new bird. 8PSK conversion a couple of weeks later, which is definitely on the new bird.

Hopefully that will mean a more powerful signal for those in Texas like me. I only get around 45-48 on 72.7 sat. I had some time so I hooked my eastern arc dish up again yesterday and worked on it for about 3 hours and the best I could do was 45-48 on 72.7sat and 50s on 77sat and anywhere from 45-59 on 61.5 sat. GOD the sd picture is SO MUCH BETTER on eastern arc compared to western. I can actually watch the picture and turn the back lighting up to about 50% and I don't see all the compression artifacts like I do on western arc. I also hooked up my 1000.2 sat dish with my triple lnb adapter so I can use it for 129 or 119 or 110 with a single dual lnb. The 129 sat is so much more powerful in signal strength compared to anything on eastern arc. I only wish I could specify 129 for hd over 61.5 sat.

Hopefully that will mean a more powerful signal for those in Texas like me. I only get around 45-48 on 72.7 sat. I had some time so I hooked my eastern arc dish up again yesterday and worked on it for about 3 hours and the best I could do was 45-48 on 72.7sat and 50s on 77sat and anywhere from 45-59 on 61.5 sat. GOD the sd picture is SO MUCH BETTER on eastern arc compared to western. I can actually watch the picture and turn the back lighting up to about 50% and I don't see all the compression artifacts like I do on western arc. I also hooked up my 1000.2 sat dish with my triple lnb adapter so I can use it for 129 or 119 or 110 with a single dual lnb. The 129 sat is so much more powerful in signal strength compared to anything on eastern arc. I only wish I could specify 129 for hd over 61.5 sat.

Yes, 72.7 will be a decently powered bird, not as hot as E11 though. Looking at the footprint the strongest signal will be Southeast Texas, LA, MS, all the way to the coast including all of FL. Should be somewhat the same signal as 129 in your area.

Yes, 72.7 will be a decently powered bird, not as hot as E11 though. Looking at the footprint the strongest signal will be Southeast Texas, LA, MS, all the way to the coast including all of FL. Should be somewhat the same signal as 129 in your area.

Cool! Then the eastern arc dish will definately be worth it then. Now what about 77sat? Any replacement to launch soon?

anik updated his schedule yesterday to possibly move the launch up a day (17th).

It is Echostar 14 (fourteen) that is scheduled for next fall.

Didn't E* just move one of their other (older) satellites over to help out. Not new, but hopefully improved.

Miner

I am only getting low 50s on the 77 sat. I would like higher numbers like on the 129 sat has. I know that 50 is supposed to be enough, but the higher the better against rain fade.

anik updated his schedule yesterday to possibly move the launch up a day (17th).

It is Echostar 14 (fourteen) that is scheduled for next fall.

I believe that E-14 is scheduled to be launched in early in 2010 to 119 W. E-15 may launch as early as late 2010 to the 61.5 W slot.

I believe that E-14 is scheduled to be launched in early in 2010 to 119 W. E-15 may launch as early as late 2010 to the 61.5 W slot.

Agreed. Construction for E14 will be complete in 4th quarter this year. And. after that launch failure, I'm guessing that ILS will put E15 at the front of the line when it is available for launch.

Anik at Spaceflight has posted a launch time for Nimiq 5:

"Nimiq 5 launch is planned at 19:19:19 UTC on September 17th."

This is 2:19 Central Daylight and, if true, the full 9 + hour flight will be in prime time for North America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts