Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 18

Dumb question...

If the TPs are already changing over to Nimiq 5, why aren't there different TPs being shown in the uplink reports?

I mean wouldn't the network ID and TP numbers change in the NIT?

Dumb question...

If the TPs are already changing over to Nimiq 5, why aren't there different TPs being shown in the uplink reports?

I'm sure Digi has a better answer, but here is one: When a CONUS satellite is changed, the TIDs, which the uplink report is based on, do not change. They simply turn on and off the TPs with TT&C frequencies.

Dumb question...

They aren't going to use different TID's, they will be the same 901-932 TID range. No change in the tables at all when they shift to another satellite.

Yes I am getting certain transponders like 1, 5,9,13,17,21,25,29 at 75 - 78 sat strength. So half of the transponders are stronger than what I got from Western arc 119 sats. I guess the rest of the transponders will go to the new sat by Thursday. This is great signal strength! Looks like rain fade will soon be a thing of the past on 72.7 sat. I still am tempted to use a 1000.2 sat dish for 110/129 and cover the 119 lnb with foil and use a side sat for just 72.7 sat. The best of both arcs with great signals strengths.

You hit the nail right on the head... 1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29 transferred yesterday. 3,7,11,15,19,23,27,31 transfer tonight.

Not sure I would recommend that weird setup, if you do, just keep an eye on the uplink reports just in case you find some channels missing.

So after they get everything moved, then are they planning to implement 8PSK soon? Will they be moving some HD from 61.5 to 72.7? Or does anyone know.

So after they get everything moved, then are they planning to implement 8PSK soon? Will they be moving some HD from 61.5 to 72.7? Or does anyone know.

Probably next week after they let things settle on the transfer.

No, they can't move the HD from 61.5 to 72.7, that will leave the people with 110/119/61.5 installs high and dry. If they move something from 61.5 to 72.7 then they will have to move it from 129 to 110/119, they have already done this in the past with some moves, so it is quite possible they could move some things since 119 has some room for HD.

Is there any way to get the Eastern Arc Dish in Maine, to be able to pick up all my SD Channels in MPEG 4 instead of MPEG 2. Why don;t they do Eastern Arc installs yet in Maine? I live in Bar Harbor, Maine.

Get a 1000.4 and install yourself. But you may lose locals.

There are 2 potential issues in Maine. #1, LiL availability on the EA. #2, E6 and E8 were not designed for use at their respective slots, so the signals can be poor in places on the boarder of coverage like Maine and Florida. Should eventually be fixed with Nimiq 5, Quetzsat 1, and E15.

I'm guessing based on this thread that D* has developed a timeline to vacate 72.5 altogether:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/190759-nine-72-5-local-markets-moving-99-103-a.html

This is quite interesting considering the report of DirecTV's new lease agreement for 72.5 W into 2011. It is also apparent that the move is unrelated to the launch of DirecTV-12 which will be launched no earlier than December. This also might be the reason why Dish has not filed anything with the FCC regarding the E-6 satellite. If everything comes off without a hitch and Dish gets use of all 32 TPs at 72.7 W, then there is not the priority to move E-6 to 61.5 W. Perhaps it will go to 148 W to hold that slot or to 77 W to help out E-1 and E-8 there.

This is quite interesting considering the report of DirecTV's new lease agreement for 72.5 W into 2011. It is also apparent that the move is unrelated to the launch of DirecTV-12 which will be launched no earlier than December. This also might be the reason why Dish has not filed anything with the FCC regarding the E-6 satellite. If everything comes off without a hitch and Dish gets use of all 32 TPs at 72.7 W, then there is not the priority to move E-6 to 61.5 W. Perhaps it will go to 148 W to hold that slot or to 77 W to help out E-1 and E-8 there.

I disagree. So many of us are 110/119/61.5. They don't need more space immediately with a free 119 TP, but will after that space is filled. Plus a move to 61.5 whould enable more spot beam TPs to open up, so us in the west could get space for our CW's and PBS'es and so on.

I disagree. So many of us are 110/119/61.5. They don't need more space immediately with a free 119 TP, but will after that space is filled. Plus a move to 61.5 whould enable more spot beam TPs to open up, so us in the west could get space for our CW's and PBS'es and so on.

I read a little bit more on the DirecTV website that was referenced in the DirecTV thread and it does mention that some cities won't migrate until 2011 so Dish won't get use of all 32 TPs right away but may get a few more than 16 by January 2010.

I don't think they'll get more spotbeams fired up as more uplink centers will need to be built to utilize more of the beams as they are not efficiently using all of the uplink frequencies/beams due to the smaller number of uplink centers. Rainbow1 was designed as one uplink center per uplink/downlink beam since they didn't have many frequencies at 61.5 available with them, DishNetwork, and Dominion sharing the slot.

I don't think they'll get more spotbeams fired up as more uplink centers will need to be built to utilize more of the beams as they are not efficiently using all of the uplink frequencies/beams due to the smaller number of uplink centers. Rainbow1 was designed as one uplink center per uplink/downlink beam since they didn't have many frequencies at 61.5 available with them, DishNetwork, and Dominion sharing the slot.

Ahh, I keep forgetting that. They have to do something to get East Coast LiL up to par soon. The big 4 isn't cutting it for many. I know my PBS and CW reception stinks.

I finally got tired of waiting to get my local PBS and CW in HD so I got my old OTA system replaced with a new one. I live about 60 miles from the transmitters in Birmingahm, AL and am able to get all of the networks out of B'ham something that I could not do when all of the stations were analog.
Anyway, as an added bonus the PQ of the OTA HD stations seems to be sharper than they are on Dish, but not by much.

I finally got tired of waiting to get my local PBS and CW in HD so I got my old OTA system replaced with a new one. I live about 60 miles from the transmitters in Birmingahm, AL and am able to get all of the networks out of B'ham something that I could not do when all of the stations were analog.
Anyway, as an added bonus the PQ of the OTA HD stations seems to be sharper than they are on Dish, but not by much.

I suppose I could try to diplex a rooftop antenna in, but I really don't feel like dropping $100 on equipment and spending an afternoon on my roof.

If I did that, I;d probably kill sat all together and get a couple DTV Pal DVRs.

Hmmm. Is there a DVR that sends signals to a rotor to reaim an OTA antenna? So when you DVR different channels with antennas in different directions, it tells the rotor the new aim point?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts