No 5.1 Dolby Digital

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rolling Joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Spokane, WA
On TNT during "The Last Ship" and "Falling Skies". When I switched my receiver to Dolby Surround, all the audio was on the center channel, so I don't think TNT is even in stereo. Also noticed no 5.1 DD on any of the Epix channels. Other channels like AMC, ESPN and Showtime all still have 5.1 DD.

And for the record, my Hopper is set to Dolby Digital/PCM. Have we been treated to a downgrade?

No problems here. Have you rebooted? Perhaps an issue/setting with your AV receiver.

I've noticed spotty dolby digital sound since I got the latest software on my original hopper: S440. I have been losing sound at time and it sounds like the center speaker had dropped out. I end up putting on my music mode on my a/v receiver and I get 5.1 sound through every speaker. It is a work around for the latest hopper software glitch. I really think that DISH needs to catch up on all their outstanding bugs before they try to add any more"features or apps".

Didn't fix my issues. WE lost power for a couple of hours last Thursday when the storm came through. We watched a couple of shows Saturday night and the sound dropped out again on our movie sporadically.

Didn't fix my issues.

Actually, it didn't fix mine either. I misread the display on my Yamaha Receiver. I've also noticed no DD on a number of other HD channels as well - TBS, USA, my local Fox affiliate and half a dozen or so others, many of which I don't watch so I don't know if they ever provided DD sound. It sure ruins the experience of watching shows like The Last Ship and 24 with the sound in mono on the two front speakers, or on the center channel only with surround engaged.

I've also rebooted my Yamaha with no change. I can't see where the receiver is at fault since many other HD channels are unaffected.

Does the Dolby light on your receiver come on?

I can't say I remember EVER having great-sounding surround sound on Dish, a few premium channels being the exception. The Dolby light on my receiver comes on, but most of the sound does seem to be coming through the center channel. Not ALL of it, but most of it. I wonder if it's Dish's fault, or if it's coming from the originating channels that way.

Also, a few channels are only Dolby 2.0, not 5.1.

Problem solved. This time for sure!

While troubleshooting a little while ago, one of the movies on Epix came up in Spanish. It seems that somebody :);) inadvertently turned on Spanish in alternate audio.

All is well.
:)

Does the Dolby light on your receiver come on?

I can't say I remember EVER having great-sounding surround sound on Dish, a few premium channels being the exception. The Dolby light on my receiver comes on, but most of the sound does seem to be coming through the center channel. Not ALL of it, but most of it. I wonder if it's Dish's fault, or if it's coming from the originating channels that way.

Also, a few channels are only Dolby 2.0, not 5.1.

Has to be something on your end then. My ears and receiver tell me I get dolby digital and turning down the two front side speakers makes it obvious they are contributing to the sound. Rear surround isn't always obvious, but is it during baseball games, you can hear crowd noise there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)