No audio ViP722k from HDMI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

roadrunner1

Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
dc
Hello all, this is my first post to this site.

I am connecting my ViP722k that has the latest software via HDMI cable to my new Samsung LN52B630 LCD TV. I get a great picture however no sound. When I reset the 722 I get sound however when shutting off the TV and STB and powering back on I get no sound again and have to reset the 722. Dish support has been no help. At this point I only have the STB connected to the TV. I have tried different HDMI cables and different ports on the TV with no success. If anyone can assist that would be great! Cheers!

I assume you've checked all the settings in your tv, receiver, and 722 before and after this happens. The only other thing I can think of is trying powering everything on in different orders.

Worst case you could just connect an optical spdif from the 722 to your receiver. You'll probably have to change a 722 setting to allow that as well. Then just send the hdmi right to the TV.

For a while I didn't have any free hdmi inputs on my receiver so that's what I did.

You can use red and white composite cables from the audio output on the reciever to the HDMI audio input on your tv.

You can use red and white composite cables from the audio output on the reciever to the HDMI audio input on your tv.

I think what you are trying to say is connect composite audio cables to the coresponding TV input for the HDMI video that is connected, but for most TVs you cannot mix HDMI and composite.

I think what you are trying to say is connect composite audio cables to the coresponding TV input for the HDMI video that is connected, but for most TVs you cannot mix HDMI and composite.

Newer TV,s even my walmart vizio do have a composite hookup for hdmi on at least one of the hdmi inputs.This being due to the fact that lots of older surround sound systems do not have the hdmi output or in my case using a dvi to hdmi converter would need another way to run sound as dvi doesnt support sound(Most pc video cards) also while HDMI sources can transmit multi-channel audio sources, they cannot transmit multi-channel and standard two channel stereo signals at the same time (simultaneously). This becomes a problem with multi-room installations that has various devices supporting different audio formats.

For these reasons newer tv,s have integrated at least one hdmi to have composite capabilities.

Last edited:
Samsung LN52B630
S222-5202-call08-va.jpg

In this case it would probably be the bottom HDMI port that has DVI next to it.The top composite audio inputs likely go with it.

Thanks all, it looks like the STB HMDI supports version 1.0 (firmware) and in this case the TV has issues with the older version. I guess thats why in the Samsung manual they suggest using HMDI/DVI port 1 and using RCA audio cables to the corresponding port. Defeats the purpose of an HMDI single cable vs component cables. Again thats for all your help. Should Dish have a firmware upgrade on their HMDI port I'll update this post. Cheers!

I'm surprised to hear there might be HDMI audio problems with the 722k. I don't get any audio from the HDMI port when I connect my 622 to an Envision set; however, I don't have any problems with audio and video if I connect a 722k or any other HDMI device. Dish has replaced the 622 numerous times with various new units, but no permanent fix, yet. I'm using the component video output until they find a solution.

It isn't the 722k that has the problem as I see it. It's the sets that are not part of the s/w or f/w that is in the unit when connected to sets not rated by E*.

Not sure what you saw on the Monster site? But I wouldn't believe much of what they have to say. They are a marketing machine and a huge waste of money.

I have this problem and it is driving me crazy with no help from tech support. When I lose audio, I ONLY lose it on SD feeds, but the audio feeds from the HD channels work fine (both sat and OTA) . Same for recorded shows,...only SD recordings are muted. Soft and Hard resets usually do not work. Turning the TV power off sometimes works.

Audio works with component or composite feeds to TV...and/but the TV is not capable of accepting the audio output of the 722k and the HDMI. Dish suggestion to use composite or component output is insulting because I am paying for HD and I have all HD equipment.

I was told that my problem is unique. They have replaced the 722k once. I also have lock up issues and IR issues, but that is a different post.

I believe its a switching issue.

I have no issues when I change to my Blue-ray device or DVD player.

R.

In earlier versions of HDMI connections, there were connectivity issuescaused by HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection)-a form ofdigital rights management-designed to prevent piracy of the highdefinition content. Most issues have been resolved through current HDMIstandards and Simplay Labs™ HD Compatibility Testing of TVs andcomponents.

However, if youfind that you have connected your components correctly, and you arestill not receiving picture or sound, our HDCP Troubleshooting Tipsillustrate the two most common HDCP incompatibility scenarios you mightface and how to resolve them.

HDCP Incompatibility Scenarios
Why is this happening?
HDCP prevents the transfer of digital content to unauthorized HDMIdevices. HDMI devices must "handshake," (authenticate) with oneanother, before they will pass or display high definition content.Trouble occurs when the instructions in one HDMI chip does not matchthose of the connected device. The device will not display or passthrough picture and sound as it suspects that the content may bevulnerable to piracy (being copied).

Monster Cable®'s HDMI Learning Center Is Your Information Resource for High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) Cables

Swapped out the 722k with like replacement. I tested the unit before fully connecting the replacement and noticed I got the Satellite tone when changing to a different audio source and back to the STB. I noticed the STB was running an older software version.

Fully setup and registered the replacement box (it auto updated its software) and still have the same issue (no audio when switching to another device).

I do have audio if I use AV2 on the samsung TV.

I'll stick to rebooting the box and keeping my HMDI cable wait till my contract is up and switch to another provider.

Thanks!

Update: I called Samsung support for a blur issue and the tech swapped out the main board and now I have audio via HMDI to my STB! With one month left on the warranty. Happy New Year all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts