No CBS Channel 10 is getting OLD!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
It is going over a month with no CBS/channel 10 here in Columbus and it is starting to get old. Don’t get me wrong I am behind DIRECTV to fight BUT boy it is just going on a long time. I feel like I’m back in the 90’s when I used to rush home by 9:00 on thursdays to watch Seinfeld.

I know we have Cleveland locals and we almost lost our cbs 19 but raycom and directv reached an agreement last Wednesday and looks like the company that owns channel 10 are jerks.

Up here, it was announce the other day that WTOL (CBS) has reached an agreement, they were never pulled ... Fox has been off for a few weeks now.
Remember, its the station that shuts down the signal to D*.

I'm guessing you guys don't have an OTA set up to go along with your D* set up ?

Up here, it was announce the other day that WTOL (CBS) has reached an agreement, they were never pulled ... Fox has been off for a few weeks now.
Remember, its the station that shuts down the signal to D*.

I'm guessing you guys don't have an OTA set up to go along with your D* set up ?

I know it's the station that's why I said "I support Directv in the fight", but it's still getting old. Yes, i do have the OTA set up and it works fine except I have to be home to watch the shows (my reference to seinfeld). I was out the other day and I was like OH sh*t, I have to get home to watch my show, between that and the commercials it is just getting a little old. I mean I know it's NOT the end of the world or anything, it's just such a major channel that I will be happy when this fight is over.

I know it's the station that's why I said "I support Directv in the fight", but it's still getting old. Yes, i do have the OTA set up and it works fine except I have to be home to watch the shows (my reference to seinfeld). I was out the other day and I was like OH sh*t, I have to get home to watch my show, between that and the commercials it is just getting a little old. I mean I know it's NOT the end of the world or anything, it's just such a major channel that I will be happy when this fight is over.
Your OTA doesn't show up in the D* guide ?
I have mine set up with an AM21, so the channels show in the guide and I can Record them just like the rest of the channels.

Your OTA doesn't show up in the D* guide ?
I have mine set up with an AM21, so the channels show in the guide and I can Record them just like the rest of the channels.

I don’t even have any idea what a AM21 is. Why would you have this to record OTA, just in case of station disputes?? I can’t think of any other reason because we already get the OTA channels on Directv.

I don’t even have any idea what a AM21 is. Why would you have this to record OTA, just in case of station disputes?? I can’t think of any other reason because we already get the OTA channels on Directv.

There are many more locals in your area than what Directv provides. The AM21 adds some of them to the guide. Also, if you live on the edge of a DMA, you can add neighboring market locals if you receive the signal OTA. It's perfect for disputes as well as at least the primary of full power stations will show up with the AM21. Sadly, the AM21 was discontinued by AT&T so you can't just get one from Directv for free or buy one off the website like we all did. They're still out there; if you can find one, are willing to pay for it, and you have the disputed channel's signal OTA, you're good.

Even with multiple HD signals and subchannels on one channel?

Yes, because in most cases, the signal provided by broadcasters to the cable and satellite providers is that same that will be sent to their transmitter. Stations typically have one “encoder” into which all their streams are fed — in the encoder, the desired bit-rate for each stream is set. The output of the encoder is sent to the transmitter, and optionally via fiber to the cable and satellite providers. In this scenario, both the OTA and fiber feeds are getting the same signal. There may be some stations that have a separate encoder to feed cable and satellite via fiber, but it’s rare from what I know. That’s a big extra expense for the station for no easily justifiable reason.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I just use my TiVo Bolt, and I plan to get rid of my AM21. My TiVo Bolt's a better source for recording in my opinion. But if anyone wants my AM21 I'll sell it to you for $200. (PayPal only please.)

Yes, because in most cases, the signal provided by broadcasters to the cable and satellite providers is that same that will be sent to their transmitter. Stations typically have one “encoder” into which all their streams are fed — in the encoder, the desired bit-rate for each stream is set. The output of the encoder is sent to the transmitter, and optionally via fiber to the cable and satellite providers. In this scenario, both the OTA and fiber feeds are getting the same signal. There may be some stations that have a separate encoder to feed cable and satellite via fiber, but it’s rare from what I know. That’s a big extra expense for the station for no easily justifiable reason.

So at most, if I understand what you're saying, they should be the same if they are fed from the same encoder? Either way, I find my locals to look better on Directv than OTA, for the most part. Canadian OTA does look pretty good, but they don't have subchannels. American OTA, they seem blurry and quiet while on Directv they're crisp and full sound. Maybe I have just lived in crappy markets. I have both Burlington VT and Boston/NH on Directv. Someone on another forum was saying how bad the Boston CBS (WBZ) looked OTA during football, but it looked great on Directv. I thought it looked a little pixelated and soft on WCAX OTA but much better on WCAX via Directv - crisper graphics and better motion on both affiliates.

I just use my TiVo Bolt, and I plan to get rid of my AM21. My TiVo Bolt's a better source for recording in my opinion. But if anyone wants my AM21 I'll sell it to you for $200. (PayPal only please.)
Only problem with that is you have to use more than 1 platform.

And I'll sell the 4 I have if I can get $200 a piece for them .... :D

Have you tried cbs on demand because I think my brother was able to watch cbs on demand on dtv he lives in Columbus

At one time, some Directv locals were fed by fiber and some by ota. The ota stations that have sub channels would be providing a lower quality signal. I don't know if this is still the case.

So at most, if I understand what you're saying, they should be the same if they are fed from the same encoder? Either way, I find my locals to look better on Directv than OTA, for the most part.

Correct. It would be very unusual for a station to have a separate encoder for feeding DirecTV (or Dish, or a cable company). Interesting that you find your locals to look better on DirecTV than OTA, as the DirecTV versions would have been compressed twice -- first as MPEG-2 by the broadcaster, then re-encoded as MPEG-4 by DirecTV. Not disputing that this is your experience, just intrigued by it.

At one time, some Directv locals were fed by fiber and some by ota. The ota stations that have sub channels would be providing a lower quality signal. I don't know if this is still the case.

Where I work, DirecTV has a fiber feed and uses OTA as a backup. Comparing the two signals, I don't see any difference, and wouldn't expect to as they are both the same ~14 Mbps feed from the encoder. The subchannels on the OTA signal also affect what is sent through the fiber.

Status
Please reply by conversation.