No CC on TCM again.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
My H3 is not showing ptoper CC on TCM again today. Sometimes some scrambled letters. Nothing most of the rime. Anyone else?

This has been happening on TCM for years and years and years. I don't know why.
Neither do I. TCM customer support responded to my report within ten minutes as usual. Suggested trying alternate settings (which I had) and promised to immediately address the problem.

My H3 is not showing ptoper CC on TCM again today. Sometimes some scrambled letters. Nothing most of the rime. Anyone else?
There's a thread on this previously it involves going into the closed captioning settings and changing something but I can't remember what.
Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

AsI said, I tried every alternate CC setting before contacting TCM.

The last time this happened I was on a friendly basis with the techs before it was solved.

Sad for you. But I just turned on my TV and captions on TCM are fine. Are you on the Eastern arc?
Yes I am. This happens periodically and TCM assumes the responsibility. It last happened in early February of this year and lasted a couple of weeks. I got periodic updates from TCM Tech that they were working on it. Then CC started working.
No other channels are affected.

Happy for you. On my H3 none on the settings produce anything but garbled letters...occasionally.

My Daughter tells me she had to do what she did last time - either go from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1 - which ever it worked again. I see elsewhere that worked for others again.

My Daughter tells me she had to do what she did last time - either go from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1 - which ever it worked again. I see elsewhere that worked for others again.
That was what I tried first...1 (default) to 0. Didn't work. Back to 1. Nope. Even tried the other options. Nothing.

That was what I tried first...1 (default) to 0. Didn't work. Back to 1. Nope. Even tried the other options. Nothing.
It works fine on the default setting on my 5 year old Samsung I'm starting to wonder if it's not the TV, in your case.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It works fine on the default setting on my 5 year old Samsung I'm starting to wonder if it's not the TV, in your case.
Why would the TV decide to select TCM out of hundreds of channels? Why would TCM programs recorded before this latest incidence display CC just fine?

Turns out the CC problem was on Dish's end:

Kathy (TCM Help Center)

Apr 21, 2021, 16:01 EDT

Regarding closed captions:

The WarnerMedia team contacted Dish about the closed captions issue. Upon investigation, it was determined that there was a decoder malfunction on Dish’s end; Dish engineers reset the decoder and this resolved the cc issue.

Please let us know if you continue to experience issues with captions.
Best,
Kathy at TCM