No Channels at the Cabin

wisdodge

Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Several years ago installed a dish at my cabin about 100 miles from my house. I have been taking a receiver from home when we go up for the weekends. Just recently I have no channels, except for NASA and Angle Network, but lots of signal. Is it possible Dish detected a receiver out of place and cut the channels?

If the receiver has been moved back and forth from home to the camp and it works at home the problem is not DISH detecting it at the camp. If it has been sitting at the camp instead of the house where it is supposed to be you have crossed paths with the DISH AUDIT TEAM. Kiss that account good bye unless you can talk them into believing that receiver has been sitting at home in a closet and you just dug it out to use.

Actually, if you leave a receiver disconnected from the stream for awhile it loses it's authorizations. You have to call Dish and have them ping it. Then you need to do a hard reboot and voila all is good (that is assuming that they haven't shut it off due to an audit).

If you have only two receivers then I would think that it most likely just lost its authorization. That would seem more likely than an audit if you only have two receivers. This happens if the receiver has been out of the stream too long such as a month. How long was your receiver not connected to a satellite dish and plugged in?

Just leave it plugged in and hooked up to the Dish for a while and it should eventually start receiving your channels. I have an extra receiver that only gets turned on when I take my trailer out, so it usually sits unhooked for months at a time. It usually has to be on for a while before I get all my channels.

BTW, dont bother calling Dish. That will probably cause more problems than anything. Just imaging trying to explain to operator in India that you are just transporting your receiver to your cabin to use over the weekend. I'm sure you'll just get that standard response that you need a separtate accountfor the cabin.

If you call them just tell them that your receiver was unhooked for a while and that you need a hit sent to the receiver to reactivate programming. This should not be a problem for someone that knows what they are doing at the call center.

Iceberg said:
if you call DIsh, use the technical dept :)

There's a man who knows what he is talking about! They will be much more helpful especially if you A) need your software updated or b) need it reauthorized. (or both)

Well check it out

Thanks for all the replies. I always left the receiver unplugged at the cabin unless we were up there-fear of lighting strike. I'll hook it back up here at the house and see what happens and go from there. This receiver was hardly used here or up north.

It would be best to leave it at your home and connected (sat and phone) most of the time. This will keep it authorized and avoid getting hit by the audit team.

If the audit team audits you while your box is at the cabin they will not allow you to have more than one active receiver anymore.

Is a single tuner box at my cabin lesss audit risk- since unlike dvr's, these do not require a phone connection? Maybey with this setup I can safely leave a box there?

leif24 said:
Is a single tuner box at my cabin lesss audit risk- since unlike dvr's, these do not require a phone connection? Maybey with this setup I can safely leave a box there?

No it is not a lower risk.

any receivers not hooked up to a phone line are at risk for an audit, & if you can not turn them on & verify the location id when they call it will be permanently disabled.
That means receivers active on your account, but in a closet are at risk if are audited

Check out the latest audit thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66324&highlight=Auditd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts