no choice to record in sd on Hopper 3?

jdvaughn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
simple question: When I go to record something, why is there no choice to record it HD or SD? or am I missing that?

I like to record old tv shows for when there is nothing on to watch, but there is no need to have these in HD. I have turned the SD channels off, but it seems like the only way I've found is to have to go back in, turn the SD channels on, then pick the show, then go back in, turn the SD channels off.

This is a royal PITA. Why would there be no option in the record? The option is not there in timers either....

Like the Hopper 3 for a lot of reasons, but some of this stuff seems like they made it harder than it used to be.

Why would there be no option in the record?

My guess would be that it would be a very rarely used option in this day and age. Saving space on the internal storage would be about the only advantage in doing this, and with the large capacity drives on the Hoppers, I can't see many folks going to the trouble. I generally prefer to record them in HD anyways, just because of the difference in picture quality. With a large TV, you can certainly tell a difference in the picture quality between recording off of the SD channels vs. the HD channels.

I agree, though, that its frustrating when an option gets removed that you liked using on previous receivers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Keep in mind that on the Eastern Arc, SD channel counterparts have been removed, and I can only hope that the same goes for WA in the very near future.

Reactions: harshness
Keep in mind that on the Eastern Arc, SD channel counterparts have been removed, and I can only hope that the same goes for WA in the very near future.
Well, not quite removed, just moved...to the 77 satellite. So in effect for many people, removed.

Reactions: Tampa8
You can record in SD if the SD is available. I was in a location for a month where I could only get a shot through the trees for 119 & 110. It was enough for PTAT to be on. But the HD Locals were on 129. But I still had SD Locals and managed to record them.

As an RVer, I would prefer if the SD Locals stayed on in the WA. My automatic Winegard Trav'ler only works in the WA and when we are in the East, we can deal with SD Locals from the WA. If the WA SD Locals are removed, then I will have to put a ground dish up with a EA head.

Well, I can kind of see where they don't think you need room, so why not record everything in HD, but I've come surprisingly close before to filling my ext. HD up and had to delete a bunch of stuff, so, for us, some things being in SD is no big deal. It seems like it would be so easy to just have the option in the timer section, like underneath "priority" or something. And for people who have kids, like my son, he records a ton of their favorite shows/cartoons which takes up valuable space in the box. It just seems like a feature they should have left in....

Reactions: dare2be
To record SD all you do is select the SD channel that is the way it has always been on DISH DVRs.

To record SD all you do is select the SD channel that is the way it has always been on DISH DVRs.
As it has already been pointed out in this thread, Hopper3 users on the Eastern Arc don't get the SD channels anymore since they were moved to the 77 satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts