No gigabit ethernet?

You really don't need Gigabit ethernet on the STB. Full Blu Ray quality needs 30-40mbit max. I have Boxee (100Mbit) and it can play full Blu-Ray streams. Now having Gigabit on your network switch and you NAS/Media server, that would required if you planned on having multiple things pulling data.

This just ticks me off. Yes, streaming Blu-ray takes less than a 100MB link, but we still put 1GB NICs in our PCs and NASs. Some of need is related to the bursty nature of IP networks, especially the internet. For good performace we specify several times the average bandwidth we think we need. I have a 30mb internet service, but I am eligible for 100MB - so sure I am unlikely to ever burst more than 10 or 15 mb when downloading a BB@home movie, but why create a hardware limitation such that my internet and home network could burst beyond what my Hopper can receive? In 2010 Gigabit is the standard for new equipment (IMHO), why put out a brand new supposedly top-of-the-line box that only supports 100MB?

The more I hear about Hopper, the more I think it was designed five years ago and just now reached the market with those five-year-old specifications.

I haven't noticed an issue using my WiFi for my hoppers. I have a 50 meg/5 meg TWC WideBand connection.

It's probably just cheaper for Dish/Echostar to use 10/100 PHY's vs. Gigabit PHY's. Remember costs add up over long runs.

I haven't noticed an issue using my WiFi for my hoppers. I have a 50 meg/5 meg TWC WideBand connection.

It's probably just cheaper for Dish/Echostar to use 10/100 PHY's vs. Gigabit PHY's. Remember costs add up over long runs.

Yes, but costs also come down with volume purchases. What is the cost differential between a 10/100 and 10/100/1000 Phy in lots of 100000+?

I'm not saying it's needed (yet) but having headroom is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Yes, but costs also come down with volume purchases. What is the cost differential between a 10/100 and 10/100/1000 Phy in lots of 100000+?

I'm not saying it's needed (yet) but having headroom is not a bad thing.

True, but IIRC Dish is trying to make this box cheap(er) to build deploy. So pennies count :)

Larry:

That is a possibility, but even 0.10 at those quantities is only 10K dollars.

I wonder if the other possibility is that they don't want to have to string cat5e or cat6 vs. existing RG-6 and/or RG-59?

Well, I'll just stick my neck out and say "It's needed" if we ever hope to rope the Joeys together over Ethernet instead of MoCA. GigE is dirt cheap these days and I wouldn't be surprised if Dish got charged more for their obsolete and inadequate interface.

Well, I'll just stick my neck out and say "It's needed" if we ever hope to rope the Joeys together over Ethernet instead of MoCA. GigE is dirt cheap these days and I wouldn't be surprised if Dish got charged more for their obsolete and inadequate interface.

With a closed network (MoCA) there isn't a concern over any other traffic on the wire. With TPE you have to compete with all the other traffic on the home network . That's growing daily.

Is MoCA really inadequate? If you add up the maximum number of devices and their maximum bandwidth each do you exceed available bandwidth? That's where it matters.

Yeah, I would love to see it on Gbit Ethernet but I totally get why Dish is doing it this way.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

No the 7420 chip looks like it is essentially ready to run traces to the pins for 100Mb. GigE is supported, but would have required more external plumbing.

A hopper serving 4 joeys will only need 36mbs outbound bandwidth max for standard TV traffic. Even if said Hopper is also reading an incoming blu-ray stream from a DLNA server there should still be enough headroom to have reliable service (remember virtually all wired connections today are full duplex).

It's a little more problematic if you are depending on the Hopper to relay bluray streams out to multiple Moca Joeys, but Moca limits are likely to as much of an issue at that point. Even then, if you have ethernet connected Joeys you don't need the headroom at the Hopper, or they could release a GigE HIC.

GigE would be a nice bullet point on the brochure but would have very limited benefit.

No the 7420 chip looks like it is essentially ready to run traces to the pins for 100Mb. GigE is supported, but would have required more external plumbing.

Are you saying that the chipset supports GigE, but Dish did not add it on the Hoopper for lack of 4 measly copper traces on the PC board?

Are you saying that the chipset supports GigE, but Dish did not add it on the Hoopper for lack of 4 measly copper traces on the PC board?

No, you need more external (to the chip) circuitry fo GigE. Virtually everything is on-chip for 10/100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts