No HD Channels in my area...need advice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shipitkthx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I've had DirecTV here in Erie, PA for 2 years now. I'm upgrading my TVs and equipment to HD and want to be able to view network TV in HD as well. Currently our market only offers PBS in HD and the local television stations are showing no sign of offering HD ANYTIME SOON. (I hate my town.)

I am about 100 miles away from Cleveland where DirecTV offers HD Local Channels. Would it be possible to "move" to Cleveland and receive their HD channels? Any help would be appreciated.

Within 100 miles - sure. May be able to do Pittsburgh instead too. Remember moving changes your sports coverage too, so you may want to consider that if you have any preference in RSNs (STO, FSN, etc).

Be careful when you call in that you already have a dish and everything installed and working, you just need the address changed and the new locals. After it is done, change the billing address on the D* website.

Thanks,

I'm actually about 100 miles from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo, I was looking at the locals list and noticed that Buffalo required a multi-dish system, etc. so thats out of the question. I'm a Cleveland sports fan so it would probably make sense to use Cleveland, correct?

100 miles MIGHT be pushing the reach of the HD spot beam for Cleveland. D*'s been VERY conservative on saying how far the HD beams reach, some places where you can get the SD locals via spot beams D* says you can't get the HD channels if you're too far out. You might want to see if you can find out which satellite/beam the various locals you're thinking of trying for are on and what the signal readings are once you get the new HD hardware installed.

How do you call in and change where you live? I Also live about 75 miles from Boston and would love the Boston local channels. Is there a way to "move" without "moving"?

How do you call in and change where you live? I Also live about 75 miles from Boston and would love the Boston local channels. Is there a way to "move" without "moving"?

Yes. I am about 90 and it works. Just call Directv, talk to 1st level CSR, ask them to move to new address, say equipment all in place, and check your channels when he switches it over. Thats it. Keep your billing the same. Just pick an address that has correct town and zip and the address can be anything as long as not someone elses already that has Directv or use a friends that does not have D*.

Thanks a lot for the advice...What happens if equipment breaks and you need service or you want to get new equipment?

Thanks a lot for the advice...What happens if equipment breaks and you need service or you want to get new equipment?

SOL. Thats the negative side to it. You will have to move back, then call and get a tech out. You will have to do everything yourself if you are moved or move back to get things physically fixed. Its not a perfect scenario and does have its limitations. You can always get new equipment yourself from a store and try to get Directv to credit it but it does limit where you get equipment from and future hardware upgrades.

Im considering calling and changing it. the channels in Springfield MA blow. 4 local channels and no HD..Do you get NESN HD from where u are?

Im considering calling and changing it. the channels in Springfield MA blow. 4 local channels and no HD..Do you get NESN HD from where u are?

With the move I do. Main reason. Dont worry about Spotbeams. I know someone in your neck that did it no problems. Also the reverse where a Yankee fan wanted Hartford ones and they reached too.

Ok thanks man..Anyone ever get caught doing this by D*? Anything else I need to worry about?

Ok thanks man..Anyone ever get caught doing this by D*? Anything else I need to worry about?

Be straight forward, speak to the 1st level CSR, the less info the better and dont get off the phone until you verify the channels work. I assume you have the 5 LNB dish and H20/HR20 already in place.

yup i have 5lnb dish, an h20 and an hr20, and I have 5 tv's total..Also i can buy an hr20 for 200 bucks brand new..Is this a viable option after i "move" since I cant buy one of D* now?

You can "lease" an HR20 but not through Directv. They will want to bring it to your house and install it. You can grab a lease one somewhere else, install it yourself and activate it. No problems. All new hardware for future reference is leased with Directv. The cost is an upfront fee and not a purchase price.

I moved and got the new channels. My HDDVR doesnt show all of the locals. Is there a way to fix this? All other boxes show all the locals.

I moved and got the new channels. My HDDVR doesnt show all of the locals. Is there a way to fix this? All other boxes show all the locals.

Call Directv and have them rehit all the boxes for the locals to show. Not showing on the HR20? You can also reset your receivers here but its possible they didnt do the change over right. Also try to set your receiver to the zip of your service area through the dish setup wizard again.

Login to Directv.com and rehit your boxes.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydirectv/mysystem/mySystemResendAuthorization.jsp?_requestid=203011

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts