No HD Sports for Bay Area Viewers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
Looks here the HD schedule of the A's here http://bayarea.comcastsportsnet.com/...e_athletics_hd and as you can see
Monday 4/20 @ New York Yankees 4:00 PM HDTV (Hey, they must have know it was going to get postponed)
Tuesday 4/21 @ New York Yankees 4:00 PM HDTV

these two games were suppose to be in HD and it was if you had Comcast, but it wasn't in HD on E* It was never in the guide.

And looks like this will be another games not in HD for E* on CSNBA (419/5419)

Monday 4/27 vs Los Angeles Dodgers 7:00 PM HDTV

since it's not in my guide. Hey, at least the next game on Tuesday 4/28 is in my guide as a HD game. Whom & how should I contact to fix this issue (call or write to E*)?

I would email dishquality (at) echostar.com and explain the story. They are usually pretty good at emailing you back and you actually get a normal response, instead of the "canned" emails you get from there other email addresses they have.

And looks like this will be another games not in HD for E* on CSNBA (419/5419)

Monday 4/27 vs Los Angeles Dodgers 7:00 PM HDTV
If you look in the Guide, the Sharks match is in HD at that time on 5419 (CSNBA-HD).
The Dodgers-Giants is on CSNBA-HD on Dish on Tuesday night.

PS I watched a majority of the Warriors games on CSNBA-HD on Dish in HD, so there is no reason to assume that Giants won't be in HD frequently as well.

PPS You do know that none of the A's matches are on "Comcast Bay Area " this year, right ? They are on " Comcast California " which should be in your Guide at 409 and 5409.

Whom & how should I contact to fix this issue
Send a letter to the San Jose Sharks saying:

Please sell all your top players so that next year, you don't make the playoffs and I can watch baseball in HD. Thank you.

I just tried emailing that address. I've got the same issue with REDS games. Only get like 1 a week in HD even though they have over 100 games in HD this year. I even can see an alternate channel in HD that I cant watch. Annoying.

This is a common complaint among Dish subs. Dish reserves only a set amount of bandwidth for HD RSN broadcast (IOW, only a certain number of HD feeds are turned on at one time). Dish will be pretty much the only provider in which the local viewers of their RSN gets the HD shaft. Believe it or not, there is a benefit to putting up the HD RSNs on CONUS full time, like Direct does (Note for Vampz: I am not in any way, shape, or form, claiming that the HD RSNs have all of their programming up full time. I am only saying that the feed is up full time).

Yeah that was weird. Took about 15 mins into the game to join the Sharks/Ducks in progress even though it was on the SD channel. Giants were on the plus channel from the start. And about the CSNBA Plus channel...it sounds like it's in HD on comcast. No HD Version on Dish. Anyone know if the plus channel is in HD on Direct?

This is a common complaint among Dish subs. Dish reserves only a set amount of bandwidth for HD RSN broadcast (IOW, only a certain number of HD feeds are turned on at one time). Dish will be pretty much the only provider in which the local viewers of their RSN gets the HD shaft. Believe it or not, there is a benefit to putting up the HD RSNs on CONUS full time, like Direct does (Note for Vampz: I am not in any way, shape, or form, claiming that the HD RSNs have all of their programming up full time. I am only saying that the feed is up full time).

Actually, that is not the issue.

When the Comcast Bay Area HD channel is in use for a particular sport, and another local pro sports time has a broadcast at the same time, then Comcast puts the other match on the "Plus" channel. Comcast cable has the "Plus" channel in HD, but Dish sometimes put this the broadcast on an "Alternate" HD channel, and sometimes it puts it on an "Alternate" SD channel. It seems to depend on how much is going on, and usually any such conflict is implying that there are several pro sports going full on at the same time, so usually the "Plus" match is only in SD.

I have never encountered a match that Comcast listed as being shown on "Comcast Sports Net Bay Area HD" that was not on the CSNBA-HD channel on Dish Network. At this point, I would guess that all such reports actually really refer to the problem mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Actually, that is not the issue.

Actually it is the issue and you hear the complaint all of the time.
When the Comcast Bay Area HD channel is in use for a particular sport, and another local pro sports time has a broadcast at the same time, then Comcast puts the other match on the "Plus" channel. Comcast cable has the "Plus" channel in HD, but Dish sometimes put this the broadcast on an "Alternate" HD channel, and sometimes it puts it on an "Alternate" SD channel. It seems to depend on how much is going on, and usually any such conflict is implying that there are several pro sports going full on at the same time, so usually the "Plus" match is only in SD.
Isn't that what I just said. You just stated it wasn't the issue and in the very next paragraph state it is the issue.
I have never encountered a match that Comcast listed as being shown on "Comcast Sports Net Bay Area HD" that was not on the CSNBA-HD channel on Dish Network. At this point, I would guess that all such reports actually really refer to the problem mentioned in the previous paragraph.
Read the posts above yours; it looks like you spoke too soon. Both the Giants game and the Sharks game were on in HD last night on Direct and cable, but yet in the posts above yours the Dish subs were complaining that the Sharks was not in HD.

Read the tens of others threads on the last couple of weeks from people in different regions complaining about the same things. Dish reserves only a certain amount of space for HD RSN feeds.

Yeah that was weird. Took about 15 mins into the game to join the Sharks/Ducks in progress even though it was on the SD channel. Giants were on the plus channel from the start. And about the CSNBA Plus channel...it sounds like it's in HD on comcast. No HD Version on Dish. Anyone know if the plus channel is in HD on Direct?
Yes it was.

Actually it is the issue and you hear the complaint all of the time.
Isn't that what I just said. You just stated it wasn't the issue and in the very next paragraph state it is the issue.
Read the posts above yours; it looks like you spoke too soon. Both the Giants game and the Sharks game were on in HD last night on Direct and cable, but yet in the posts above yours the Dish subs were complaining that the Sharks was not in HD.

Read the tens of others threads on the last couple of weeks from people in different regions complaining about the same things. Dish reserves only a certain amount of space for HD RSN feeds.

KStuart is right on this one. Dish doesn't carry the Comcast Sports Plus channel in HD. If the game is showing on there, people shouldn't expect to get it in HD. If the game is showing in HD on Comcast Sports Bay Area, it's been in HD.

So KStuart is right. This isn't a case a Dish not showing HD programming on an part time HD RSN that it carries in HD; it's a case of Dish not carrying an additional RSN and therefore not showing the content broadcast on it in HD.

KStuart is right on this one. Dish doesn't carry the Comcast Sports Plus channel in HD. If the game is showing on there, people shouldn't expect to get it in HD. If the game is showing in HD on Comcast Sports Bay Area, it's been in HD.

So KStuart is right. This isn't a case a Dish not showing HD programming on an part time HD RSN that it carries in HD; it's a case of Dish not carrying an additional RSN and therefore not showing the content broadcast on it in HD.
I misunderstood his point. I stand correct then.

I am confused.

I could have sworn I saw the Sharks in HD last night on channel 419.

I'm not a hockey fan, so I didn't watch the game; I was looking for the Giants game. Which I did find, in HD, on one of the sport alternate channels, maybe 446?

Did I imagine this?

Generally speaking, I have seen it plenty of times when CSN-BA has had two HD games going at the same time; you just have to look for them in the 430-455 channel range in the guide. Saturday nights in September are the most crowded, what with baseball, college football, and soccer.

And that brings me to another rant. I'm the guy who watches MLS. The online program guide at dishnetwork.com said that last Saturday night's game between the San Jose Earthquakes and the Seattle Sounders would be on in HD on channel 409-1. Yet when gametime rolled around, the only channel that had it was 409, the SD version. I'm pretty sure that Comcast subscribers could watch the HD version; why doesn't Dish carry these?

Sharks game was in HD, they just didn't turn the HD channel on for it until about 15 minutes after the game started. They have done that a few times this season. The other night I swtiched to 419 to see the Sharks in HD at 7:00 and they had a few seconds of the Chicago White Sox game on 419, then it went blank, and then the hockey game came on much later. It was like someone had problems at the switch.

This is because the RSN HD channels are shared. Channel 5419 is not full time just for Comcast Sports Bay Area.

Airblair,

I watched the Giants game last night on the ALT channel and it was not in HD. The Sharks game was on HD.

The local sports package is pretty sucky but its something.
CSN Bay Area and CSN CA but only 2-3 hours (During games) does it come in HD. I guess for the extra $5 its ok

Does anyone feel that the ratio of Oakland A's games vs SF Giants games in HD is very lopsided ?

I swear that the great majority of times I try to view games, the A's will be in HD whereas the Giants will be in SD.

Is this Dish's/Comcast Sportsnet's fault or are there just not as many Giants games broadcast in HD ?

This is why I had gotten the sports package in the first place and I'm feeling slightly ripped off now that Giants games seem to rarely be in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)