No HD with Winegard and New Genie Wireless

Oldnavycdr

Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
NC
I recently upgraded my equipment to the wireless Genie Mini's to use in my motorhome. The RV has bundles of old analog cabling and I wanted to bypass that stuff and get HD on my TV's when traveling. My equipment is as follows: Winegard LG-2112 with SWM3, HR-44, two C61-700 and a DTV video bridge. I lashed it up as follows: Coax from Winegard to power inserter, power inserter IRD to DTV splitter, splitter to video bridge, splitter to HR-44. C61's to TV's via HDMI. First test results while camping in the mountains of VA: Winegard locked on the 101, 99, 103. Ran setup and got SD but no HD. Guide showed HD but when selected said "only low res available". Numerous resets and setups did nothing to change. Signal strength 95% on 101, zero on 99, and 25% on a couple of transponders of the 103. What am I missing here? Compatibility issue? Bad LNB? Lash up problem? Or just some possible interference from the location? I have used an HR-24 prior with the analog cabling without issue but of course no HD. TV's are set for all resolutions. I have gotten HD OTA so the TV's are functioning correctly.

and I recently upgraded my equipment to the wireless Genie Mini's to use in my motorhome. The RV has bundles of old analog cabling and I wanted to bypass that stuff and get HD on my TV's when traveling. My equipment is as follows: Winegard LG-2112 with SWM3, HR-44, two C61-700 and a DTV video bridge. I lashed it up as follows: Coax from Winegard to power inserter, power inserter IRD to DTV splitter, splitter to video bridge, splitter to HR-44. C61's to TV's via HDMI. First test results while camping in the mountains of VA: Winegard locked on the 101, 99, 103. Ran setup and got SD but no HD. Guide showed HD but when selected said "only low res available". Numerous resets and setups did nothing to change. Signal strength 95% on 101, zero on 99, and 25% on a couple of transponders of the 103. What am I missing here? Compatibility issue? Bad LNB? Lash up problem? Or just some possible interference from the location? I have used an HR-24 prior with the analog cabling without issue but of course no HD. TV's are set for all resolutions. I have gotten HD OTA so the TV's are functioning correctly.
Is this a New set up for you or one you've used before this way ?

Looks like the Winegard is not picking up the 99 and 103, those numbers should be in the 80-90's, they are the Sats that the HD signals come from.

Its amazing that they are still asking that much for these units.

I have used the Winegard Trav'ler numerous times with an HR-24 but it was all SD because the cabling to the TV's was all analog composite (red, white, yellow RCA connections). Thus the reason for the new Genie wireless system to get HD. I use the system at home and it works perfectly with clear HD and good capture of all the satellites. It is possible that I had some LOS obstruction due to a hill and trees on that azimuth. Or the Trav'ler isn't locking on the 99 & 103 -- but the control box displayed all three satellites. What I didn't check was whether there was an * by the 99 and 103 on the controller.

I have used the Winegard Trav'ler numerous times with an HR-24 but it was all SD because the cabling to the TV's was all analog composite (red, white, yellow RCA connections). Thus the reason for the new Genie wireless system to get HD. I use the system at home and it works perfectly with clear HD and good capture of all the satellites. It is possible that I had some LOS obstruction due to a hill and trees on that azimuth. Or the Trav'ler isn't locking on the 99 & 103 -- but the control box displayed all three satellites. What I didn't check was whether there was an * by the 99 and 103 on the controller.
It would be highly unlikely that there would be an obstruction affecting 99 and 103 but not 101. However, a slightly warped reflector or bent feed arm would certainly cause such an issue, I would closely inspect those. Otherwise I would start with the basics. The HR44 does not need the external power inserter so I would remove that. Run a coax directly from the Trav'ler to the back of the HR44 bypassing the splitter and wireless bridge, if signal returns then there may be an issue with a connection or cable when installing the wireless bridge. There can sometimes be an issue with the factory cable that goes from the SWM lnb to the base of the turret, it can be temporarily replaced with an RG6 jumper to test.

Even though you connected your HR-24 to your TVs via composite connections, the Trav'ler still should have locked in to 99 and 103. Do you know if you were receiving good signal on those satellites with the HR-24?

Reactions: Jimbo
If it's an SWM dish the power inserter IS required, unless the traveller provides it somehow which i doubt.

It would be highly unlikely that there would be an obstruction affecting 99 and 103 but not 101. However, a slightly warped reflector or bent feed arm would certainly cause such an issue, I would closely inspect those. Otherwise I would start with the basics. The HR44 does not need the external power inserter so I would remove that. Run a coax directly from the Trav'ler to the back of the HR44 bypassing the splitter and wireless bridge, if signal returns then there may be an issue with a connection or cable when installing the wireless bridge. There can sometimes be an issue with the factory cable that goes from the SWM lnb to the base of the turret, it can be temporarily replaced with an RG6 jumper to test.

Even though you connected your HR-24 to your TVs via composite connections, the Trav'ler still should have locked in to 99 and 103. Do you know if you were receiving good signal on those satellites with the HR-24?
The HR44 requires external Power to power the LNB. The HR54 does not

The HR44 requires external Power to power the LNB. The HR54 does not
Ah, I stand corrected. I thought they eliminated the need for a power inserter starting with the HR44, sorry about that. I've serviced quite a few Trav'lers both with DirecTV and Dish Network. The last unit i worked on was earlier this year with 2 HR24s. In speaking with Winegard tech support at the time, they stated there is no need for a power inserter because the control box for the Trav'ler actually powers the SWM lnb but there's no harm in using one. My suggestion was to simply eliminate as many connections as possible for troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Many thanks, guys! I'm taking the coach out next week but only with the HR24. I'll check my signal strength on the 99 and 103. If I needed a new LNB what would you suggest?

Many thanks, guys! I'm taking the coach out next week but only with the HR24. I'll check my signal strength on the 99 and 103. If I needed a new LNB what would you suggest?
Any non swm that's ka/ku (they have four ports). You will need a b band converter for each line.

Sorry for being imprecise. Yes, I understand that it is the LNB that may require the SWM. The LNB on my Trav'ler is a SWM3. It is a single cable down to the coach and uses a power inserter. There are a number of models available so I was just asking if there is a particular model I should look for should I need a new one.