No landline and Dish - solutions?

My parents have not been charged for over 5 years. The phone line was hit by lightning which took out the modem in the receiver.

If they do not have dual tuner boxes they never will get charged. The charge is only for dual tuner boxes, not regular receivers. (5 years ago they did not have 2 tv boxes)

The only reason we have a landline is because our DSL requires it.

If DISH turned on the Ethernet jacks, I'd hook them up in a heartbeat.

The only reason we have a landline is because our DSL requires it.

If DISH turned on the Ethernet jacks, I'd hook them up in a heartbeat.

By the end of the year ATT should have dropped the requirement for a phone line to get DSL service from them. It was a requirement agreed to by them to buy Bell South. They also have started a secret $10/month DSL service. They do not advertize it anywhere but it is available now.

By the end of the year ATT should have dropped the requirement for a phone line to get DSL service from them. It was a requirement agreed to by them to buy Bell South. They also have started a secret $10/month DSL service. They do not advertize it anywhere but it is available now.

You can get it but if you answer yes this question you do not qualify:

Are you a current or former BellSouth or AT&T high-speed Internet customer?

768k/128k connection isn't bad for $10. Knowing the landline co's it will be $20 after taxes and fees.

I'd go with the cable company though. No dialtone required, extra fees, and no PPPoE overhead! They offer 768k/256k for $16.95 a month. That's a steal! Or 1500/256k for $26.95.

You can get it but if you answer yes this question you do not qualify:

Are you a current or former BellSouth or AT&T high-speed Internet customer?

768k/128k connection isn't bad for $10. Knowing the landline co's it will be $20 after taxes and fees.

I'd go with the cable company though. No dialtone required, extra fees, and no PPPoE overhead! They offer 768k/256k for $16.95 a month. That's a steal! Or 1500/256k for $26.95.

You are lucky there, my local cable company charges $55/month if you are not a cable sub.

You are lucky there, my local cable company charges $55/month if you are not a cable sub.

I have the 2nd to highest package and basic cable for about $53 after taxes. 8000/512 connection (due to powerboost it hits 12000 on the download). I use the basic cable for the local HD networks via QAM.

ceo@dishnetwork.com took care of my mother's account without a problem. I explained that she has only a cell phone and she is on a fixed income and cannot afford both a landline and cell phone (which is true). The CEO office marked her account accordingly. So far so good.

Trust me when I say that's not the reason for a lack of charge. That group couldn't permanatly waive a phone line fee in their wettest dreams... There's something else such as the account wasn't eligible to be charged in the first place, or the status of the account was changed. If it was the latter, yes I guess it's possible. I just feel sorry for the idiot who did it if that's the case.

As soon as you find out...please post or let me know. This is total B.S for people who do not have landlines and opted for the cell phone only lifestyle. Dish NEEDS to get it through their thick heads that every thing is changing. People are dropping landlines. Dish needs to be conforming to people like us (me) and provide a workaround without saying "its either paying 40 bucks for a landline and save 5 dollars a month..or pay 5 bucks a month with no landline." Thats just plain ol B.S and its actually a deal-breaker for some to switch to local cable providers.

I agree..I have a had customers wig out because the retailer didn't tell them they'd be hit for $5 extra ..It's a bone of contention..E* likes the fees because they are pure profit. They essentially get an additional $60 per year for doing nothing.

Aren't featureless landlines under $20 in most areas? A big reason I've held on to my landline is for 911, I don't yet trust that E911 works as well.
Tell me where.I just dumped my landline that was costing me $33 per month...Extra $4 for an unpublished number...$37 per month just to have a telephone in the house
Now I have Earthlink VOIP....$15 per month...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts