no line of sight - dish network

perhaps he was nlos'ed for 61.5? he never did state which satellite the tech was going for, only for a point angle. most techs will try both options 129 and 61.5 if the first assigned option doesnt work. tech may have first nlos'ed 61.5, then nlos'ed 129 and mentioned point angles then.

he never told me which sat he was looking for?
at the time i had no clue about all the sats.
so im really green at this,sorry.

i would still get locals correct? just not in HD?

I Didnt know altoona/johnstown were'nt HD?

correct, you would still get locals in sd. and you can always hook up an OTA (off air antennna) to the hd rec, and scan the locals right into your guide. this way you can access hd locals from your dish system without having to toggle inputs on your tv. i live in tulsa oklahoma where locals are not in hd on any satellite, so i do this and it works fine for me. if your getting an hddvr you will also be able to record the OTA locals as well.

by the way, no need to apologize for being green at this, only way you will learn is by asking the questions.

correct, you would still get locals in sd. and you can always hook up an OTA (off air antennna) to the hd rec, and scan the locals right into your guide. this way you can access hd locals from your dish system without having to toggle inputs on your tv. i live in tulsa oklahoma where locals are not in hd on any satellite, so i do this and it works fine for me. if your getting an hddvr you will also be able to record the OTA locals as well.

by the way, no need to apologize for being green at this, only way you will learn is by asking the questions.

i checked the one sat website for locals via antenna but i dont get any of them but pbs.
i guess im to far away for a good signal?
i called dish back and they are sending someone else out on monday...for nothing most likely.

Dont feel bad.. Same problem here except im a new customer. . But hell hopefully next week or so they get the east arc ready here. I have no other choice but to wait. The tech said he can pickup 2 satellite just not the other one which i suppose was the HD one.. My package is Turbo hd Gold with all the premiums.

2001kx, just make sure both options 61.5 and 129 are thoroughly checked out. perhaps this tech may see an option for a remote location mounting of a second dish that will work. either way, let us know how it goes on monday.

another matter is this issue of a 15 foot pole.

I'm hoping you mean something like a telephone pole that YOU put in in the correct location for line of site to all required SATS., so that the installer can mount a working system on it. Thats custom work. Not something your usual installer is going to make happen. Maybe a hack might do that (seen it - had to fix it - not fun).

You cant just sink an 1-5/8" pole a few feet into the ground that reaches 15 foot high. Thats just asking for a non-working system (first big wind storm, think GIANT lever with a sail on top).

good luck

I don't think he read any of my posts.

yes i read them...why wouldnt i? you wrote:

Well the point is, he wants HD. And it is very likely he can get 61.5, as I pointed out above. So the tech was wrong and he should have HD now without the EA.

I don't understand why they said 20 degrees. The calculator says 39° for 61.5 in Lancaster.

this may be true but what can i do about it if they say no you cant get it?
i dont know enough to argue with them about it?

2001kx, just make sure both options 61.5 and 129 are thoroughly checked out. perhaps this tech may see an option for a remote location mounting of a second dish that will work. either way, let us know how it goes on monday.
so i would only need one of these sats for it to work?

will let you know how it goes monday afternoon.

thanks for all the help from everyone

woohoo 15 posts...i can post a pic of my area now

here it is

HPIM5128.jpg

this is where they say they might be able to get it?
dead center over the trees.
but it would be 10 feet in my neighbors yard...why i was asking about a pole so i can move it closer into my yard.

heres a pic right up beside my house. NOT GOOD!!

HPIM5129.jpg

well they came today and i am a HD customer now...love it too!

the last guy who came didnt know what he was doing.
he wasnt looking at the 61.5 sat.

thanks

second opinion?

Had an install scheduled for my mother who lives in a rather wooded area, but determined with dishpointer that if the dish was located in a small clearing, it would have a shot at picking up the eastern arc. There are some trees about 100 feet away but no where near the maximum height of obstacle measured from the base of the dish, (obstacle height could be no more than 60 feet high @ 100 ft away)

The installer just eyeballed the job and didn't pull out any devices to test or help find a better location. The run to the house would have been about 130 feet.
He mumbled about having to trench the cable (He caught himself, and said..."but that wouldn't be the problem")

I asked him if he was familiar with dishpointer, he said yes...and I told him what I found out....that didn't seem to satisfy him. He then ask me for the web address and went on his merry way.

Before I send comments to dish, do the installers have a device that test for a signal? Should the installer have at least tried?

My gut is telling me he didn't want to do the job!

Hate to do this, because I won't get any club benefit out of this, but signed up for a direct install to see what they can do, but their nearest install date is in February!

130 of cable trenching is definitely not part of a standard install. He should have given you at least a price on that custom work though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)