No major networks on Eastern Arc?

dethman

Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
South Georgia
My dish network experience has been crazy. I tried to get it a year ago but trees blocked the signal. Once eastern arc went up I tried again. The install guy showed up Saturday with the wrong equipment. He wasn't informed about me being eastern arc so he needed a different sat. He returned Sunday and did the install. I kept asking where is my FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC. It's somewhere in there he said. Well I called up Dish. They said I cannot get those channels at all. I said that Windstream said that I would but the channels may be out of New York or something and that's fine. But now I'm told that I cannot get those channels in any shape form or fashion. What the! 3 trillion channels and not the four main networks that have been around forever. I could care less about local news but I want to watch shows on those channels.

Dish had me call Sobongo(formerly America direct) to see if they could help. Nope no help. I even thought about a old school antenna but I'm too far away. No I either go back to Charter or pay for Charter's super basic plan which includes those networks for $23.99 a month. I would just dual tune cable and sat. What is going on? Does eastern arc sats have locals at all or are the dish gods frowning on me? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, there are plenty of HD locals on EA. Some DMAs are on both arcs. But it sounds as though yours are only on the WA, which is surprising since you're in the east.

What's your zip? The only thing I can suggest, since you don't care which locals you get, is to "move". This involves changing your service address to a nearby DMA still within your spotbeam, for the purpose of getting different locals. Obviously you want to pick a nearby DMA on EA and not on WA.

Last edited:
What is you closest major network city?

Last edited:
I don't know if you live in the Macon, Ga. DMA, but according to the other thread concerning "New HD Locals", they're scheduled to be turned on this coming Thursday.

S. GA

His info says S. GA. Might be Atlanta depending on how far S. The spot for them is on 61.5 and covers large part of GA. It might be further S until he tells us what is locals should be we are just guessing.

My zip code is 31535 and I'm located in Douglas, GA. I just got off the phone with Windstream and they transferred me to Dish and they said no again. I got transferred back to Windstream and the woman said they had Dish reps at their building today and she said I could get those channels and they will call me back. My head is dizzy from this confusion. I appreciate you guys responding and hopefully my info will help you guys help me.

My local channels that are close come out of Albany, Valdosta, Atlanta, and even Tallahassee(WSWG-CBS). I would be extremely happen with HD versions of ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX but I'd accept SD versions at this point to keep my head from exploding. :)

My zip code is 31535 and I'm located in Douglas, GA. I just got off the phone with Windstream and they transferred me to Dish and they said no again. I got transferred back to Windstream and the woman said they had Dish reps at their building today and she said I could get those channels and they will call me back. My head is dizzy from this confusion. I appreciate you guys responding and hopefully my info will help you guys help me.

My local channels that are close come out of Albany, Valdosta, Atlanta, and even Tallahassee(WSWG-CBS). I would be extremely happen with HD versions of ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX but I'd accept SD versions at this point to keep my head from exploding. :)

Go to the following page. It shows you get all but ABC and PBS in HD.

Local HD Channels & Satellite TV - DISH Network

Unfortunately for you, Albany, GA is not an eastern arc market, and you locals are on 110 (SD) and 129 (HD).

Best thing to do is "move" (i.e. change your service address, but not your billing address) to get locals from another market. Use TheList from this website and check for nearby markets with locals, and see if you get signal.

My setup uses the Eastern Arc sat 62, 72, and 77. I looked at that list and they are some markets nearby I could "move" to. Is one of those specific sats carrying locals or all of them? When I searched the list I checked all three. Are the transponder numbers important in this search? I think I remember seeing mine as 21 during the install.

My setup uses the Eastern Arc sat 62, 72, and 77. I looked at that list and they are some markets nearby I could "move" to. Is one of those specific sats carrying locals or all of them? When I searched the list I checked all three. Are the transponder numbers important in this search? I think I remember seeing mine as 21 during the install.

If it is on CONUS and or EA, any local will do. But on spot, you want to check your signal. Go to menu 6-1-1 and check the satellite and transponder signal strengths.

Personally, I'd consider a "move" to Columbus, GA. They are on 77, All 4 big networks plus PBS in HD. Only thing they are missing is the CW.

Here is a chart where every local is listed by market and available sats.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Subscription dishnetworkmarkets

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to educate myself fast as possible so please bear with me. Check out this scenario...

What if I "moved" to Waycross, GA(45 minutes away) and then I fall into the Jacksonville, FL zone. All four networks in HD + CW, all on 77 with ConUS beam. I'm also a Jaguar fan(yeah it's painful) so I would get some of the games possibly also? Let me know if my thinking is flawed.

I want to thank you guys for responding to my post and understanding that I'm a newbie. This is one of the best forums I've been on in awhile.

Sounds to me like that would do it. Yes, you would get Jaguars games, plus,if subbed to AT120 Plus or higher, you would get whatever RSNs are available in that market.

Search the site for "moving". Plenty of info on the particulars.

My zip code is 31535 and I'm located in Douglas, GA.

The Atlanta locals are on 61.5 TP 7 and 15. The Columbus locals are on 77 TP 28. The Macon locals are also listed on 77 (TP 16) but are not yet available. Your best bet right now would be to "move" to a Columbus address and then move back when the Macon locals are lit up. It looks like you should be in the Macon, GA DMA. If you want the Jacksonville, FL locals, then 77 is the sat for you. Just check the Dish Network website to make sure the address you pick will give you the Jacksonville locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts