No More CBS Sports?

Why hasn't the FCC set a cut off date for SD broadcasts. Let it go and free up the space.
Since when does the FCC regulate the type of signal that satellite distributors use - never. Their mandate was to switch OTA broadcasts from analog to digital - never a mention of SD vs HD.

When did this become a thing? But we'd need a Hopper 3 and a couple of Joey 4Ks (that's what we had when we left Dish when we moved here in Aug 2019.)
You may be in luck, since it looks like someone also has a 4K Joey for sale in the Classifieds section. Here is the link:
(The replies in that thread seem to indicate that a deal was struck to sell this 4K Joey. However, it remains listed as "For Sale" in the thread title. So, perhaps that deal fell through, which would mean this 4K Joey is still available.)

Here is the link to the Hopper 3 for sale that I mentioned earlier:

Since when does the FCC regulate the type of signal that satellite distributors use - never. Their mandate was to switch OTA broadcasts from analog to digital - never a mention of SD vs HD.
Air waves are airwaves. Why does it matter. If the FCC sets the broadcast standards.

When we moved cross country a little over a year ago, we were in an apartment while looking for a house. We had a higher end Spectrum cable package in the apartment.

It was simply horrible. I was so used to the Hopper 3 system. The speed for the Spectrum system was SO slow. Only 4 tuners, which used to seem like a lot, but suddenly we're having to decide what to record and what to not record. The picture quality was poor enough I had techs come out to check the connections - nope, all looks good! And that PQ looked fine to them! The DVR storage was SO limited. We moved to a different apartment and they had an AT&T cable bundle. The internet was actually great (fiber optic, 400 Mbps up and down.) The picture quality was better, but still not great. Once again, limited DVR tuners and storage. And so slow compared to Dish. And the second TV was connected via their wireless box, and it disconnected almost every day, requiring a reboot of the main receiver, then a reboot of the remote, then hoping it worked, usually didn't, had to do it numerous times to get it back up again. AT&T support was useless.

We ended up moving to YTTV and THOUGHT it was pretty good. But the picture quality, even when it says 720 or 1080, is extremely compressed and you can see a lot of artifacts and just a generally "jerky" behavior, particularly for sports and other high speed action. The interface is horrible, no real live TV guide, DVR doesn't let you hide watched episodes and shows you every new and rerun in the list for any show you choose to record. Plus we need Philo plus YTTV to get the channels we want.

As for RSNs, no streaming service other than AT&T carries them these days. And they have their own issues. One reason we stayed with YTTV was they did get the RSNs, but they recently dropped them the way almost everyone has - the RSNs have just priced themselves out of the market and I assume their model in the future with Bally will be individual streaming subs.

Bottom line: I griped about Dish a lot, but I really miss it now.
Remember the days of the VCR when you could only record ONE SHOW at a time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)