No New HD for these cities?

Hey, I have an idea! WHY NOT LEAVE THE HD CHANNELS AT 61.5 FOR EASTER ARC??????

That way the "few" (read significant number of subscribers-so many that it was costing Dish too much to fix the issue thus the new policy) customers who are having issues now and creating bad blood in relations would never have been inconvenienced and Dish would never have had to spend any money in installs and CSR time to make things right.

MORON!!!!

I live in Maine and sadly, don't plan on buying an HD Television any time soon. Cable stopped 1500 feet from me 25 years ago and they still say the housing density does not meet their requirements to string further.

I can only get 1 HD channel OTA if I put up a huge antenna (which I refuse to do) and the majority of things that I would want to watch on HD, are on nonexistent HD locals (things like Lost, or NFL football, etc.)

So, instead I moved and get 5 SD "near locals." Hey, they even cover my area on the evening weather forecast, so I'm not complaining - much.

My only hope down the road is a WiMax roll out with the new FCC broadband plan and HD IPTV as I don't expect Dish to get with the program any time soon (i.e. before I die - I'm in my thirties and plan to be around until at least Hally's comet comes back around.)

Hey, I have an idea! WHY NOT LEAVE THE HD CHANNELS AT 61.5 FOR EASTER ARC??????

Apparently they have other plans for 61.5 in the future. Possibly going to use it as the international EA slot and some spotbeamed locals, 77 will handle locals and some CONUS overflow, and 72 will handle all the CONUS.

I know 61.5 was having issues when the new HD was added, but I don't see the need to keep them on 72.7 since they now have a "hot spare" @ 61.5

They can't use the hot spare unless there is another failure with E3. E6 will be used to keep the current things going, not to add new services. This is how they filed with the FCC to move E6 there.

I called TWC yesterday to see what my bill would be. I'm only interested in HD. No internet. No phone. No movie packages. Just HD channels. $44.95 a month for programming for a year, then it jumps to 72.95 a month (plus fees and taxes of course). Fees include stuff like, "oh you want an HD DVR with that?", "You have 3 TVs? *gasp!*", etc.

At this point I'm really wondering how long it will take to get so completely frustrated at the hassle and expense of payTV in ANY flavor, that I just get rid of it all and go back to OTA (in which case the TiVo WOULD work just fine...or I could get a Channel Master 7000 which is like a dtvPAL).

Right now it is apparently worth the hassle and expense because I'm still here. I just wonder how long before I give up.

I have a DTVpal and it is a great unit, if you are gonna do OTA.

Even when I had Dish, I kept the most basic of basic cable along with my roadrunner, because you can get the local channels in HD on a QAM Tuner in your HDTV.

The gave me a two year promotional package without a contract for $85 a month with my roadrunner the first year for all channel tiers (including the hd tier) except the prems (hbo, starz, etc) with a hddvr and a second hd box. Year Two my price goes up to $95 a month. After that year it would go to regular pricing.

I miss the Dish equipment and the nfl network, however the pricing and MSG-HD, MLB-HD and YES HD are a decent trade off I guess. Hopefully within the next two years Dish will come around. Otherwise I will be looking at Directv.

wow! I guess I was a lucky one that got in before they made this decision as well.
I am in the Buffalo DMA and they installed a 1000.2 and left my 61.5 wing so I get 110/119/129 and 61.5. I also must be very lucky with my LOS. I posted my129 signal strengths elsewhere and honestly right now they are better than my 61.5.

Did Ya'll ever think that this move of hd to 72.7 from 61.5 , might be the way DISH gets subs in eastern arc dmas to upgrade to all mpeg 4 receivers along with the new eastern arc sat dish?

I mean the old sat failing at 61.5 forced this transition to 72.7 for all hd and national channels , but maybe this coincidence in regards to timing , is forcing DISH to upgrade existing subs in eastern arc dmas to all mpeg 4 receivers . Maybe much sooner than they wanted to , but now they can move the mpeg 4 transition along a bit. Then they can turn off the mpeg 2 all together much sooner.

But not allowing for certain areas to upgrade for hd is just stupid all together and will most likely cause those hd subs in those cities to churn to Directv or God forbid Cable tv. But maybe they are not allowing those areas to upgrade at this time due to the stress financially on their accounting figures. It has got to take a lot of money to upgrade entire eastern arc dmas to all mpeg 4 receivers and dishes etc. Maybe they want those areas to wait for now and stay with western arc till they get around to them.

You may have a point, however, why do I have to continue to pay for channels that I am not ALLOWED to see??

You are correct on another point as well, this is driving a customer that has been with dish since 1998 to leave and go elsewhere. They may save some money now, but when they finally piss long term subscribers off enough to make them leave, they will be hurting their bottom line far worse.

Am I reading this correctly? Dish is not offering to install 1k4 to customers in these markets ? (110/119/61.5)
Has anyone actually been turned down? I don't see how they can do this for a few people (me included) than deny it to others.

Another issue that Dish is ignoring are Marine Users. Currently any Marine users that want to get Dish Network service with HD in the East are totally screwed.

Why you ask, well the Marine Antennas will not work on any elevation below 20 degrees. This means East Coast subs can't use 129 at all. All of the orbital slots the Auto switches for the Marine antennas can auto tune are either 119, 110, and 129, or 119, 110, and 61.5.

I called KVH (the Second largest Marine antenna manufactor) and they didn't even know Dish was adding new HD to 72.7 and 129 instead of 61.5 or that Dish is planning to remove all HD from 61.5 by this time next year. Currently no Marine Satellite maker is updating their autoswitches to be able to use a pure Eastern Arc, NICE PLANNING DISH. Sea King could work but will not Auto Switch Orbital slots for Eastern Arc subs

John

My only hope down the road is a WiMax roll out with the new FCC broadband plan and HD IPTV as I don't expect Dish to get with the program any time soon (i.e. before I die - I'm in my thirties and plan to be around until at least Hally's comet comes back around.)

WiMAX is all well and good but this problem called 'trees' and 'mountains' makes such plans very mucky in reality. If people are willing to basically level one of the things that makes this state great, then there's all sorts of things we could do. WiMax hardware also isn't inexpensive, though the licensing is relatively cheap (about 200$ per site for semi-licensed).

Don't feel too bad about the HD locals though. Since WLBZ went to VHF, many of us in Bangor can't even get their HD signal anymore (even with VHF/UHF antennas, which I have one). FOX is still Standard Def and looks rather awful (though they have Digital Flash Cut permission since Sept of 2009).

It'll be a great day when FOX goes HD, but also when Dish carries all of our HD locals. The 'other guys' already have them, but I'd rather go without than be their customer again.

Last edited:
I am in the Providence DMA and called about not getting the new channels. I was told first that they needed only to repoint one of my dishes ($15 charge), I asked why the cahrge and was put on hold and then sent to another support person. I was then told they needed to add a third dish and I asked if there was any alternative since I really didn't want 3 dishes - they put me on hold and sent me to a third person where I was told they needed activate something on my receiver - he tried it and when I didn't see the channels sent me to another rep who said they had to activate 72.7 on my account and and it would take 24 hours to see the channels. That was four customer service reps and two weeks ago and I do not have the new HD. I currently have 2 dishes and a DP34 switch running to two VIP HD receivers. Do I need to simply have them add the EA dish and keep one of the old dishes for my locals? I also don't get how the Providence DMA can be out of the range but not Boston - their only 45 miles apart. Thanks All,

Chris10

In the Buffalo DMA HD Locals are on 61.5 and SD Locals are on 119. Thus the upgrade is not available. Personally I've got an Eastern Arc install (No LOS on 119) and I'm lovin life.

In the Buffalo DMA HD Locals are on 61.5 and SD Locals are on 119. Thus the upgrade is not available. Personally I've got an Eastern Arc install (No LOS on 119) and I'm lovin life.

actually sd locals are on 110. i am in Bradford, Pa and did my own eastern arc install. I am getting signals in the 50-60 range fron 61 and 72 and about 40 from 77 sat. Also i am puling in the 110 sat from a dish 500 going into the eastern arc lnb in port. Pajer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)