No New HD for these cities?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I got this just before we went on the air. This kind of thing makes me upset. I think those in these areas that subscribe to HD should get a discount on their service since they are not getting all the HD they are paying for...

With the recent launch of new HD channels on the 129 and 72.7 satellite
locations, many customers require a migration to Western Arc.

Customers within the following DMAs are not eligible for the migration
promotion. If the 129 or 72.7 orbital locations are not currently on the
customer's account, we do not have a solution to view these new channels at
this time.

The following DMAs do not qualify for the migration to Western Arc
promotion:

* Anchorage, AK
* Albany, NY
* Bangor, ME
* Binghamton, NY
* Buffalo, NY
* Burlington, VT
* Fairbanks, AK
* Flint, MI
* Honolulu, HI
* Juneau, AK
* Portland-Auburn, ME
* Presque Isle, ME
* Providence, RI
* Puerto Rico
* Rochester, NY
* Syracuse, NY
* Traverse City-Cadillac, MI
* U.S. Virgin Islands
* Utica, NY
* Watertown, NY

Your thoughts please.

The HI, AK, and PR ones are a given as they have their own HD paks.

I don't get it on the others. As many have done the Dish 500 with 61.5/72 on one dish and the 110/119 on the other.. but I do understand that creates another problem with the mixed arc installs. It puts them between a rock and hard place once again to shift programming around between the 3 sats on each arc.

It's a good idea on the technical side of things but business wise to cut off your customers. Not a good thing at all!

129 is pretty low here, 11 degrees or so. I was real glad when Starband went to 123/121. I don't have to carry a chainsaw as part of my install tools as much!

More on-topic - The lack of locals on HD (Bangor DMA) and Part-time HD on the RSN (NESN) keeps me with the other provider.

Best Regards, Eric

If the national channels are all moving to 72 then Portland Maine locals should move from 61.5 to 72 and only 72 would be needed

129 is pretty low here, 11 degrees or so. I was real glad when Starband went to 123/121. I don't have to carry a chainsaw as part of my install tools as much!

More on-topic - The lack of locals on HD (Bangor DMA) and Part-time HD on the RSN (NESN) keeps me with the other provider.

Best Regards, Eric

I know Maine will have another spotbeam on 119 to possibly help with locals after E14 is launched in a few days. And not piss anyone off but here's another beam on 61.5 that Dish is not using at all. They would have to build another uplink center in your area to feed it, it probably wasn't feasible with the number of subs.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/database/Subscription/images/E12_SB1.jpg

I got this just before we went on the air. This kind of thing makes me upset. I think those in these areas that subscribe to HD should get a discount on their service since they are not getting all the HD they are paying for...

Your thoughts please.

I am being affected by this ridiculously dumb decision by Dish Network. I have to pay for the channels that I cannot view. I am not going to go out and rig a solution myself. I am already in contact with the NYS Attorney General's office regarding this situation. I understand that dish has something in their customer agreement regarding programming, but if I pay for it, I should be able to view it. I am locked into a contract right now and I have been with dish since 1998, once I am done with the contract I will look into leaving.

I would like to encourage anyone else affected by this in NYS to call the Attorney General's office @1-800-771-7755. If more people complain, dish will be forced to address this situation.

I sure would be ticked off if I lived in one of these areas. Just not fair to these people paying the same amount for less programming.

This is the same kind of stupidity when Dish split LIL's among separate dishes as in 119/110 for the big broadcast networks and 148 (those of us out west) for the smaller LIL's in the same DMA some years ago. This resulted in Congress passing legislation that forced Dish (and all sat providers) into a "single-dish" solution for all LIL's in the same DMA (although required by law at the time to provide additional dish for LIL's at no cost upon demand, several Dish CSR's back then told customers they had to pay for it, and I never believed that was an accident, as one CSR told a friend of mine that "...it is costing us [Dish] a too much money for the 3rd dish because too many people were requesting them). And supervisor's would confirm a "Yes, you have to pay for it," which was contrary to the law.

One would think Dish would have learned from that, but they probably feel that they will have this all resolved a few years from now as STELA will have been passed without requirements to Dish's intended NEW "you pay for it" solution for LIL's.

I live in the Burlington Market and was recently upgrades to the Eastern Ark. I Had no LOS to 129, as is the case with many. I would have needed a 61.5 wing anyway for my local HD, so EA was a good solution for me. They left 110 as a wing for locals sd (pbs mostly) I know EA is using older Sats, and it sucks the way dish handled this whole mess, but all in all this new set up seems OK,especially with the migration off 77, which is very very weak up here. Are they still doing EA upgrades at these locations?

This makes not sense. I live in eastern maine & had a Tech come out for free. They Tech set up a EA dish attached to DPP44 Switch and kept my 110/119 Dish. SO basically I have 61.5, 77,110 & 119.

This setup works great, why can't they do this for other people in Maine?

I am already in contact with the NYS Attorney General's office regarding this situation. I understand that dish has something in their customer agreement regarding programming, but if I pay for it, I should be able to view it. I am locked into a contract right now and I have been with dish since 1998, once I am done with the contract I will look into leaving.

I would like to encourage anyone else affected by this in NYS to call the Attorney General's office @1-800-771-7755. If more people complain, dish will be forced to address this situation.

Perhaps a complaint to the Better Business Bureau will help also. It worked for me in helping me to get all of my HD channels when this mess started last month. All I did was fill out the form online and someone from dish called me a few days later to make things right.... https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

I'm a retailer in Maine. I'm installing 1000.4 with 110 wing dishes for all new HD customers. In the future DISH plans to have a one dish solution for each side of the Mississippi. If thats the case Maine will have to be on the Eastern Arc because of low elevation 129 satellite.

Your thoughts please.

Scott,

I say BULLCHIPS. I live in Rochester NY. I got Dish to come out to install a Third Dish for 129 (I already had a DPP44 switch).

I had a my parents call as well last week (they live in the area as well). Dish came out and offered a Eastern Arc Dish in addition to the Dish 500 (need 110 for our locals as Dish only has Rochester NY locals in SD at 110). My Mom didn't want an Eastern Arc Dish as well as a Dish 500, so the Tech converted the Dish 500 pointed at just 61.5 to a two LNBF Dish pointed at 61.5 and 72.7. The Signal strength is alittle low but it works.

I argued with Dish on my behalf as well as my Mothers (I had my third Dish installed several days after the new HD went up). Dish tried to placate me on my Mothers behalf by saying they were working on a solution and it would be forth coming "SOON".

I accepted NONE of the BullCHIPS from the Dish Tech, I was pleasant but forceful and would NOT take "NO" for an answer.

In Western NY getting 129 is possible, on my 129 Dish the elevation angle is 18 degrees. Using a Dish 500 with two LNBFs pointed to 61.5 and 72.7 will get you a signal strength of 40-50 which is low, but in most atmospheric conditions will maintain a signal Lock.

The moral is don't take a "NO" answer from Dish after all we are still paying the same amount of money to Dish as the rest of the countries HD subscribers. The reason Dish is Backseating us as Subs is Dish (in most cases has to spend a bunch of Money not just on new Dishes but also DPP44 switches which is costing them a pile of money for each HD customer they have to fix).

( Rant ON ) Hey Charlie, how about spending some of that gravy money you now have by increasing secondary receiver fees to insane levels. ( RANT OFF )

John

Last edited:
I'm a retailer in Maine. I'm installing 1000.4 with 110 wing dishes for all new HD customers. In the future DISH plans to have a one dish solution for each side of the Mississippi. If thats the case Maine will have to be on the Eastern Arc because of low elevation 129 satellite.

The only issue about this is that 77 doesn't come in hardly at all. I have 1000.4, but can't get 77 that well, so I have 110 & 119, so I don't loose and of the channels.

Josh

Is it just me , or is Traverse City out of place? I wouldn't think 129 is such an issue there.

I know they want "pure" arc installs, but what would be so wrong with a 1000.4 with a 110 wing? These people already have 2 dishes. And with an EA Dish, they could still move whatever they want, with the 110 dish eventually becoming redundant.

Is it just me , or is Traverse City out of place? I wouldn't think 129 is such an issue there.

I know they want "pure" arc installs, but what would be so wrong with a 1000.4 with a 110 wing? These people already have 2 dishes. And with an EA Dish, they could still move whatever they want, with the 110 dish eventually becoming redundant.

I agree! Since they are moving the SD from 77 to 72.7, then this will still work for people who can't get 77 on a EA Dish.

This is STUPID that dish is doing this, because this 1000.4 with a 110 Wing will work just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)