No New Kernel For Windows 7

Kind of makes a person skeptical about the claims that it will be more efficient then...

Jim:

Yep... The kernel is the heart of the system, and if it isn't changing dramatically it will be neither efficient.

Interesting that the OP doesn't know that it's spelled kernel.

Cheers,

Does this surprise anyone? They don't want to take the time and resources to create something new and better.

It's relative... By the time it's released, imagine Vista's kernel being run on "current" ('x' years from now) hardware.

Running on newer, faster hardware doesn't make the underlying code any more efficient, which you're probably aware of :)

That said, I'm not running into major performance issues with Vista; but I have a reasonably powered machine to run it on.

Cheers,

My definition in this regard falls along how fast it will "feel". It's sad that 90% of the new software available makes no effort to be "efficient" or lean... :( They just accept sloppy, inefficient, and bloated code and simply bump up the hardware requirements to make it "feel" acceptable.

Yeah my guess is that Windows 7 will be just another version of Vista. Overall I been happy with Vista no major issues. Right now it seems since SP1 that it performs better than XP and now that Server 2008 out it should run better and faster on networks now than XP.. But Windows 7 could be the ME of 98 or like Media Center was another version of XP. Either way Vista here to stay and folks should just make sure their current hardware can run Vista just like any new version of software.. Anyway just my 2 cents.. :)

The existing Vista kernel runs just fine on hardware designed for XP, likely the Windows 7 kernel will do the same.

I'm talking about the kernel itself now, at the "Home Basic" level, not with all the eye candy add-ons. Of course if you're going to run Ultimate or Home Premium you need more resources.

The existing Vista kernel runs just fine on hardware designed for XP, likely the Windows 7 kernel will do the same.

I'm talking about the kernel itself now, at the "Home Basic" level, not with all the eye candy add-ons. Of course if you're going to run Ultimate or Home Premium you need more resources.

It really is unfortunate that Microsoft can't deal with the concept of what belongs in an operating system. It soulds like this upgrade is going to be a package of an updated applications suite. There is absolutely no reason why the kernel itself should be bogging down all that heavily. It is all the cr*p that they add in and require everyone to run. To my mind it is of questionable value, adds so many security holes that everyone scrambles to stay ahead of the hackers and ends up making the system less friendly. Hail to Microsoft and their 1 layer OSI model :rolleyes:

I am chuckling over all the crap they throw in... new work machine arrived with Vista BASIC. Even this stripped down version of Vista still has a ton of garbage on it that I have had to hunt and peck to get rid of. :D

Although it runs pretty fast with 4GB of ram.

Yep. I just ordered a Dell, not due until around 7/7. Was actually delivered today. But they claim as a business machine, it does not have any trialware on it. We'll see.

Of course, I bought the version with XP built in, to fall back on in case Vista still doesn't pan out for us.

We buy Dell machines and 90% of them come with our corporate image but the machines I ordered for our dept were "special" or "non-standard", so they came with Dell's standard XP PRO image .... and NO trialware. It did include Adobe Reader and Dell's own utilities, but nothing else.

Vista Kernel: It was recently replaced in the SP1 update to be the same as Windows 2008 server. I don't think the kernel is the problem with Vista, it's the fat bloated GUI.

Windows 7: Testing friends of mine are saying comparatively speaking Windows 7 makes Vista feel like Windows ME and that even at this stage it is much better than Vista.

Dell Computers: If you order from the Dell home portal, you get a really junked up machine that you will either take the reinstall DVD and wipe the drive to start over or spend an hour uninstalling junk.
If you order from the small/medium business portal you get less junk and the tech support number is typically the US during business hours.
However, even better for small orders is the Vostro line of computers from Dell. Those can be configured to have no junk at all.

Junk or no junk - why not do it yourself?
Get an OEM version of XP, slipstream SP3 into it and spend 10 minutes creating winnt.sif file with your box's key and eliminating prompts.
Add Dell utilities, drivers (if needed), and basic apps (Acrobat, Antivirus, etc.) using nLite if the image will be used on more than one computer.

Burn CD. Unattended install will take under half an hour.

Diogen.

Junk or no junk - why not do it yourself?
Get an OEM version of XP, slipstream SP3 into it and spend 10 minutes creating winnt.sif file with your box's key and eliminating prompts.
Add Dell utilities, drivers (if needed), and basic apps using nLite if the image will be used on more than one computer.

Burn CD. Unattended install will take under half an hour.

Diogen.

Exactly.

Yeah overall I think Vista is fine and runs just as good as XP if not better.. Overall just depends on your hardware so forth. This always happens when new OS comes out its a change and folks will get use to it. Just like when XP came out it look allot different than Windows 2000 so forth. Vista seems to run well across a network as well and with 08 Server out it seems to run just as good as XP from what I have read.

Win7 will be based on the same kernel as Vista, but with some improvements. Expect it to be similar to the Win2K/XP family, or even XP to XP SP2. Some have postulated that Win7 will be 64 bit only, with a virtual 32 bit box for running older software.

There is a new kernel under development for the next OS, but don't expect to see it before 2012. That should be the new mini-kernel based OS, which will finally separate the kernel from the GUI, browser, etc. It will provide a common kernel to run on everything from cell phones to servers.

There is a new kernel under development for the next OS, but don't expect to see it before 2012. That should be the new mini-kernel based OS, which will finally separate the kernel from the GUI, browser, etc. It will provide a common kernel to run on everything from cell phones to servers.

I can see it now... "Windows for Java(tm)"...

But seriously, the Linux kernel has been adapted to run on diverse hardware platforms for a long time now. Microsoft is just catching up, it seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts