No PBS HD = No Dish for Me

Turd Fergeson said:
70 miles with an attic antenna....that is outstanding!!!!
What kind of antenna and amps do you have?

I added a couple links to specs on my antenna on post #20.

TheTony said:
IMO, the real issue here is that Dish is not allowing PSIP data to be read and formatted on their HD receivers. Instead, they rely on the Dish LiL guide data.

Obviously, this causes issues for locals whose digitals aren't a simulcast of the analog transmission.

This is the real issue!!

I live about 35 miles from Pittsburgh Pa. Have been getting local HDPBS channel 13 with an OTA Radio Shack outdoor antenna. The signal was only 50% or so not very good for a lockon. Then all of a sudden the signal shotup to 100%. It comes in crystal clear now, but no program quide.

My 622 receiver shows the Program guide info for PBD-HD (028-01). Fills in everything just fine.

smokejoe said:
I've discovered that Dish does not broadcast PBS HD. That means you cannot get program info for the station on any Dish receiver - even if you are receiving it OTA.
PBS HD has more HD programming in a 24 hr period than any other locally broadcast national network -not to mention its quality.
I've been told by PBS programming director that the station is available to Dish at no charge - just like the SD PBS channels.
Without it, I'll invest in stand alone DVR, dump Dish and save $1000 a year since 90% of what we watch are locals anyway.

I don't understand why the PBSHD channel is not just provided by DISH. It is not the regular main channel and not every PBS affiliate carries it on their digital. Mine did until Octobr when PBS asked for a special fee. It sure would be nice if 'DISH could uplink this national feed.

smokejoe said:
I've discovered that Dish does not broadcast PBS HD. That means you cannot get program info for the station on any Dish receiver - even if you are receiving it OTA.
PBS HD has more HD programming in a 24 hr period than any other locally broadcast national network -not to mention its quality.
I've been told by PBS programming director that the station is available to Dish at no charge - just like the SD PBS channels.
Without it, I'll invest in stand alone DVR, dump Dish and save $1000 a year since 90% of what we watch are locals anyway.
That's not true....Every HD receiver I have connected to an OTA dispalys all channels received....That includes PBS.....
It is possible you cannot receiver your local PBS OTA due to signal issues..
Please don't get me started on PBS..Personally the govt(taxpayers) should not be funding TV..JMO

gutter said:
I don't understand why the PBSHD channel is not just provided by DISH. It is not the regular main channel and not every PBS affiliate carries it on their digital. Mine did until Octobr when PBS asked for a special fee. It sure would be nice if 'DISH could uplink this national feed.

there's different qualification rules for PBS...This is for SD but probably also is the same for HD

If your market is on Dish and has a PBS..even if you dont subscribe to locals on Dish, you cant get the national feed.

dishcomm said:
That's not true....Every HD receiver I have connected to an OTA dispalys all channels received....That includes PBS.....
It is possible you cannot receive your local PBS OTA due to signal issues.

This thread addresses PBS-HD;
E* failure to carry the channel, and more importantly,
E* blocking of OTA guide data for the channel.

No one claimed they can't view the channel OTA.

PBS-HD Guide on 622?

mdntblu said:
My 622 receiver shows the Program guide info for PBD-HD (028-01). Fills in everything just fine.

Mdntblu, That would be great news if 622 allows PBS-HD (you listed PBD-HD). Please clarify if typo and what city you get guide data for and how manys days of PBS-HD guide you get.

If you are getting guide info for the PBS HD channel it is because your OTA digital PBS station is broadcasting it.

Yes it's a typo. I am in Los Angeles Market and get PBS-HD guide info for like 1 week or so.

smokejoe said:
Mdntblu, That would be great news if 622 allows PBS-HD (you listed PBD-HD). Please clarify if typo and what city you get guide data for and how manys days of PBS-HD guide you get.

smokejoe said:
Does anyone in any market get PBS-HD guide on 942?

I get the guide info for LA channel 28 HD PBS with my 921 and a CM fringe area antenna. The guide data is for the 28-1 and 28-2 singals. I also get the Orange County channel 50 PBS station. This one has multiple signals but I only get guide info on the SD mirror. Both of these stations broadcast their SD programming on one of the sub channels with the nice HD stuff on the second sub channel.

I'm sure your 942 will pick up the guide info it the station is providing it to dish.

I had been ignoring this thread until they cut our PBS budget in South Dakota--turning off some towers, etc. Even though I get the OTA PBS HD feed, it is mainly repeats and now, very often, when I turn to the HD channel, it has the same SD programming as on the SD Digital side of the carrier signal.

It may be a real issue soon for many of us who live in under-funded PBS states and can't get a decent PBS station, as far as programming and signal.

I maybe soon looking for someone who will "feed" me PBS HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)