No-Phone Fee?

cdn_cajun

Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
What exactly does the phone line do and what happens if you don't have hooked up to a phone? Its my understanding that dish phones the receiver to verify the user and the receiver phones dish to report movies ordered. Is that right? If not hooked up to the phone and being charged the $5/mth. Does that mean multiple movies can be ordered and not reported to Dish through the phone line?

Dish does not call the receiver, the receiver calls dish. It calls dish to report PPV purchases. It also calls dish as part of the Dish Home feature to allow you to check your billing and such. I think there are other reasons that it calls Dish but I don't know what they are or what the specific triggers are.

I think there is a limit on how many movies you can order before the receiver has to phone home.

2 room receivers also call dish to waive the phone line fee.

if you have a 2 room receiver and it can't call dish every month, you get charged $5

jkinser said:
I think there is a limit on how many movies you can order before the receiver has to phone home.
I'm not too sure about movies as I dont order them but I know for ordering events such as wrestling you have to have a phone line hooked up because it will check of a dial tone when you order by remote. But you still can order via the internet if a phone line isn't hooked up.

Dish does not call the receiver, the receiver calls dish. It calls dish to report PPV purchases. It also calls dish as part of the Dish Home feature to allow you to check your billing and such. I think there are other reasons that it calls Dish but I don't know what they are or what the specific triggers are.

DVR will send not only PPV data, but much more.
It was seen some messages when it did call to Dish:

Attention
Calling Echostar (toll-free).Please wait while the STB dumps
the NVM.The STB will automatically reset after
the NVM has been dumped. This
will take approximately 5 minutes.

the NVM and HDD debug logs
the logs have been dumped. This
will take approximately 30 minutes

I'm not too sure about movies as I dont order them but I know for ordering events such as wrestling you have to have a phone line hooked up because it will check of a dial tone when you order by remote. But you still can order via the internet if a phone line isn't hooked up.

I have ordered several PPV football games while tailgating (obviously not hooked to a phone line) and it worked fine. Plugged it back in when I got home and the charge went through later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)