No quality on AMC4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emceesilent

Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Ok..the saga continues.

I have a linear lnb, 32" dish and I'm in Toronto, Canada. I've been trying for the past couple of days to connect to AMC 4. My dish is pointed to 35 elevation, 220 azimuth..+21 skew/polarity..and i've moved the dish in the vacinity..but so far nothing. I'm scanning what I believe to be the strongest signals on that bird..and nothing. I get signal..but NO quality ( see first images)

11822qv6.jpg

12120ma3.jpg

I did a blind scan and got 3 channels...which were not visible ( weird lines accross them..no audio...quality didnt exceed 40). One of the channels is on the following TP which i managed to get 60 quality on:
bs11907qb1.jpg

Here are my settings

settingsyd0.jpg

so far I have no idea what this could be...any help would be appreciated..

Looks exactly like my Ultra screen, so I'd say you got an Ultra or something close to it.
You're def ON some satellite, does the satellite setup screen not tell you which one? Usually the Ultra can read the beacon and display the sat name in the upper right of the satellite setup screen (might have to scroll thru the list of transponders to make it tell you tho)
Here's my list off transponders off AMC4:
11822 5700 H 2/3 0 2 radio ch only
11858 28138 h 3/4 5 0
11983 5900 h 2/3 4 1
12060 26700 H 3/4 12 0
12033 3003 H 3/4 1 0
12120 30000 V 3/4 1 9

Maybe you can enter one of those and find it with this info.
Hint: Go back to that screen in your pic, delete those empty transponders-the ones have 0 TV 0 Radio channels listed, they tend to mix my Ultra up when I blind scan (if you have a bunch of them)
Hope that helps!

EDIT> In the Satellite setup menu, scroll to trasponder and find 12120>the Sat ID will display in upper right corner of screen-I just tried it.

Last edited:
Looks exactly like my Ultra screen, so I'd say you got an Ultra or something close to it.
You're def ON some satellite, does the satellite setup screen not tell you which one? Usually the Ultra can read the beacon and display the sat name in the upper right of the satellite setup screen (might have to scroll thru the list of transponders to make it tell you tho)
Here's my list off transponders off AMC4:
11822 5700 H 2/3 0 2 radio ch only
11858 28138 h 3/4 5 0
11983 5900 h 2/3 4 1
12060 26700 H 3/4 12 0
12033 3003 H 3/4 1 0
12120 30000 V 3/4 1 9

Maybe you can enter one of those and find it with this info.
Hint: Go back to that screen in your pic, delete those empty transponders-the ones have 0 TV 0 Radio channels listed, they tend to mix my Ultra up when I blind scan (if you have a bunch of them)
Hope that helps!

EDIT> In the Satellite setup menu, scroll to trasponder and find 12120>the Sat ID will display in upper right corner of screen-I just tried it.

The Sat ID also shows up when you hit the SAT button to bring up the channel list.

I did a blind scan and got 3 channels...which were not visible ( weird lines accross them..no audio...quality didnt exceed 40).

Are you sure you have your LNB skewed the right way? The reason I ask is that the three transponders that you have listed look like the DVB feeds that are on Anik F1 (107.3) (they are 4:2:2 feeds and would look exactly as you describe), except that they are Horizontal transponders. Standing in front of your dish, looking at your dish, if you draw a line straight through the LNB it should be angled like this: \ If the line is / then that would explain why they show up as Vertical since you would be 42 degrees off the correct skew, enough to make Horizontal into Vertical. The good news would be that you are only 6 degrees away from AMC4!

Last edited:
Are you sure you have your LNB skewed the right way? The reason I ask is that the three transponders that you have listed look like the DVB feeds that are on Anik F1 (107.3) (they are 4:2:2 feeds and would look exactly as you describe), except that they are Horizontal transponders. Standing in front of your dish, looking at your dish, if you draw a line straight through the LNB it should be angled like this: \ If the line is / then that would explain why they show up as Vertical since you would be 42 degrees off the correct skew, enough to make Horizontal into Vertical. The good news would be that you are only 6 degrees away from AMC4!

grrr! my LNB is angled like /(to the right!)! I thought positive 21 was to the right?!?!?!?

grrr! my LNB is angled like /(to the right!)! I thought positive 21 was to the right?!?!?!?

When adjusting skew from in front of the dish you twist the LNB to the left (counterclockwise) for positive numbers, and to the right (clockwise) for negative numbers. Once you get the LNB skewed correctly, the transponder you have been using to aim the dish will now pick up the signal, whereas before, even if you were dead on the satellite, it would have been looking at the opposite polarity and never found it. Good Luck, you are almost there!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts