No sound with VIP 612

fmj77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Western North Carolina
Just activated a VIP 612 receiver and have picture but no sound. My TV is a Sony Bravia 4k that I purchased new back in July and it is connected via HDMI. It worked fine with my 722 receiver. Any help is appreciated.

It could be HDMI related. I had the same thing happen to my H3 yesterday. When I rebooted the H3 and my Denon receiver the sound came back. You may try swapping out the HDMI cable too.

First I am assuming there is no audio receiver involved.
Try turning the TV of then on also, along with rebooting the 612 if you have not.
You can try changing the settings on the Receiver, even if just to toggle them. Audio output and if set to Dolby Digital/PCM try just PCM or the opposite as needed. Volume leveling should have no impact, you could try between Line or RF settings also - be aware it is normal for Line to not always be an available choice.

I tried toggling the settings for the audio between Dolby/PCM and PCM and it made no difference. I'm gonna try a different HDMI cable and rebooting the receiver when I get home from work in the morning. If nothing helps, then I'm going back to the 722 and sending the 612 back. The reason I was trying the 612 is because the 722 was not behaving well with my Sony Bravia. Sporadically it was sending a signal to the receiver and causing it to reboot. Dish support said they were aware of this problem and that the 612 had different software which would fix that.

I tried toggling the settings for the audio between Dolby/PCM and PCM and it made no difference. I'm gonna try a different HDMI cable and rebooting the receiver when I get home from work in the morning. If nothing helps, then I'm going back to the 722 and sending the 612 back. The reason I was trying the 612 is because the 722 was not behaving well with my Sony Bravia. Sporadically it was sending a signal to the receiver and causing it to reboot. Dish support said they were aware of this problem and that the 612 had different software which would fix that.
Not Uncommon for 612s to have Bad HDMI ports.

You are dealing with old equipment that may have been "refurbished" many times. I'd hate to trust that HDD. Aging equipment is just not going to be as reliable, electric and moving components wise, as newer stuff.

You might price out using a HWS or even H3. Maybe the cost difference won't be that much.

The problem ended up being one of the HDMI ports on the TV. I was using HDMI port 4 and switched it to port 1 and now I have picture and sound. For some reason the 612 doesn't want to give me sound from HDMI port 4. The 722 was working fine from that port. Oh well, no big deal.

You are dealing with old equipment that may have been "refurbished" many times. I'd hate to trust that HDD. Aging equipment is just not going to be as reliable, electric and moving components wise, as newer stuff.

You might price out using a HWS or even H3. Maybe the cost difference won't be that much.

**Cough** **Cough** bs..**Cough **Cough**........ :biggrin:p

The problem ended up being one of the HDMI ports on the TV. I was using HDMI port 4 and switched it to port 1 and now I have picture and sound. For some reason the 612 doesn't want to give me sound from HDMI port 4. The 722 was working fine from that port. Oh well, no big deal.
Glad you got it working.
Hopefully that 612 does fry your TVs HDMIs

Glad you got it working.
Hopefully that 612 does fry your TVs HDMIs

Hope you meant that it "doesn't" fry the HDMIs. Either way, # 4 port is fine. I connected a Blu-ray player and PS4 to it and the sound works fine on that port with both devices. Just the VIP 612 has a sound problem with HDMI port 4. Weird.

Hope you meant that it "doesn't" fry the HDMIs. Either way, # 4 port is fine. I connected a Blu-ray player and PS4 to it and the sound works fine on that port with both devices. Just the VIP 612 has a sound problem with HDMI port 4. Weird.
Port 4 is often where CEC/ARC is. If it is turned on you could try turning it off and see if the sound returns.

Reactions: navychop
Would CEC/ARC be a setting on my TV, Dish Receiver or both?

On your TV. Without going into detail it is meant as a way to send audio out to a soundbar or receiver when the source is a another device plugged into a different HDMI port. (That's ARC) CEC is different... The important thing is it is know to sometimes block video or audio when turned on. It's something to try anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts