No Soup for you!

Synge

Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
N.E. Michigan
Well, I greatly anticipated my Dish installation February 28th. I was a new subscriber and greatly looked forward to their new HD content. My installer was very prompt and friendly. I had thought it would be an easy install for him as my old VOOM dish and cable were still up and run to the 2 rooms I wanted Dish service too. Everything seemed to be working out well as I was looking forward to turning in my overpriced Charter Digital cable box along with their poor HD offerings.

That's when things went wrong. My old VOOM dish was mounted on my garage roof and had a wide open view of the southern skies. Unfortunately the 3 satellites I needed to pick up for Dish are in the West, which of course is blocked by 3 rather large maple trees. We tried every possible angle from every different spot on my property and there was no way that we could get all 3 satellite signals. So to make a long story short I guess I'm stuck with Charter Digital cable.

I was looking at Direct TV website this morning and it appears that their satellite is in the southern sky, but I wasn't impressed by their HD content and their prices and packages seemed to be alot higher than Dishs'. Also Charters HD content, as limited as it is, includes all of D's offerings except Discovery HD and ESPN2HD.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm sorry to hear of your failed DishHD attempt. Hopefully, you're in a Verizon/AT&T area and won't have too long of wait for FiOS TV or IPTV.
I am in a Verizon service area but I did an inquiry and their FiOS TV service is not available in my area yet. Looks promising. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Synge said:
We tried every possible angle from every different spot on my property and there was no way that we could get all 3 satellite signals.

Did the installer consider a two or three dish solution? It may not have been an option either but depending on how the trees are situated it has worked numerous times before.

BTW, Where are you located? If you are in the eastern U.S. your local HD channels might not be on 129. You can keep 61.5 and just pick up 119/110 and if you can't get 119/110 with DISH500 use two dishes. There's your 3 satellites!

I'm in N.E. lower Michigan (revised my profile) and up here I have NO local HD channels, either through E* or D* and none OTA either. At least with Charter Digital I get a downstate ABC-HD feed, with more promised soon.

And my installer didn't mention a 2 or 3 dish solution, but I wouldn't have wanted E* bad enough to have 2 or 3 dishes spread all over my property. Even if I did I seriously doubt that he could get all 3 signals as there was a very small window across the street through the neighbors tree to shoot through anyway.

Synge said:
Well, I greatly anticipated my Dish installation February 28th. I was a new subscriber and greatly looked forward to their new HD content. My installer was very prompt and friendly. I had thought it would be an easy install for him as my old VOOM dish and cable were still up and run to the 2 rooms I wanted Dish service too. Everything seemed to be working out well as I was looking forward to turning in my overpriced Charter Digital cable box along with their poor HD offerings.

That's when things went wrong. My old VOOM dish was mounted on my garage roof and had a wide open view of the southern skies. Unfortunately the 3 satellites I needed to pick up for Dish are in the West, which of course is blocked by 3 rather large maple trees. We tried every possible angle from every different spot on my property and there was no way that we could get all 3 satellite signals. So to make a long story short I guess I'm stuck with Charter Digital cable.

I was looking at Direct TV website this morning and it appears that their satellite is in the southern sky, but I wasn't impressed by their HD content and their prices and packages seemed to be alot higher than Dishs'. Also Charters HD content, as limited as it is, includes all of D's offerings except Discovery HD and ESPN2HD.

i some times have this issue on my installs...Trees..The tech may have missed a little known trick....A two dish solution....For instance..a dish looking at 110/119.....And a seperate dish looking either 61.5 or 129.....I get these on occasion....and complete the install.....

Seeing you had VOOM we know a dish aimed at 61.5 will work. DISH and Directv share the use of 119 & 110 so if you can't get a signal from there you are out of luck for both services.

Synge said:
I'm in N.E. lower Michigan (revised my profile) and up here I have NO local HD channels, either through E* or D* and none OTA either. At least with Charter Digital I get a downstate ABC-HD feed, with more promised soon.

OMG there was another former Voomer in NE Lower Michigan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)