No video signal using Sling

WheelieMan711

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I am having troubles with a Sling Adapter connected to one of my Hoppers. When I attempt to view live television or recorded content it goes through the process of connecting and once it says it is connected I have a message that says "no video signal" accompanied by a black screen. The screen even says what show I'm watching and I am even able to change the channel, but I don't receive any video. This occurs on network on my PC on dish online and also when trying to access it from my iPhone through DRA. I've also checked my receiver which says that it is using a tuner for the sling.

I had this problem once before and a RBR fixed the issue. However this time I have done an RBR, unplugged the receiver, even unplugged the Sling Adapter, and I also reset my modem. Any suggestions on what else can be done? It is been working perfectly until the last couple weeks so I am not sure what is causing the issue.

Last edited:
I have been having same issue for last couple of weeks, I have no idea what is going on. sometimes rebooting helps, sometimes not. Sometimes just waiting a couple of hours and doing nothing at all, and it magically starts working. This started a couple of updates back. Before then it had been working fairly well and since I use it every day (on local network via a PC/IE9) I can tell it is not a occasional thing but it happens now almost everyday. When this happens, my iphone also will not work. I have had a DIRT member check it out twice, but it always seems to start working when they check it, and they see know problem. I am not saying they did anything, i think when I log out and they log in something must reset. maybe because it is coming in from another source.

While I otherwise think the Hopper/Joey equipment is terrific, Sling functionality has been garbage since Day 1 for me. Used to work pretty well (but not 100% reliably) on my 722.

With the Hopper plus Sling, it is a complete crapshoot whether I will be able to connect and stream video or not. This applies both within my home wifi network and outside of it, using both a web browser and my iPad. I also get real inconsistent results when remotely viewing recordings, timers, and scheduled recordings. I've tried resets, power-offs, etc. I've pretty much written this remote streaming functionality off until Dish gets the Hopper firmware into a much more complete state. It's unfortunate.

this morning i had same issue, multiple reboots no effect, I then tried pulling the sling off the usb connector and reconnecting, and then it started working. maybe a fluke, who knows...

I just logged on to DishOnline and got a message I do not subscribe to that channel, I'm a "Everything" customer.....then it loaded. Last night I was getting a couple stations out of LA, I live in Northern California...maybe they're adding new stations...? I really doubt it.

Recently while traveling I set my DVR remotely through DishOnline, or thought I did...it did not record or even show a timer was set. When looking at the DVR page on DishOnline the message was no timers have been set. For and experiment this morning I repeated the process from my home iMac, not to my surprise it did not set the DVR to record, yet on the guide page is clearly displays a red record message, but according to the DVR page, no timers had been set.....how come this stuff has to be so hard...?

It is of no wonder new comers to the Sling Adapter and Dish in general are frustrated. It has taken me months if not years to figure out how to get it work marginally....and still it does not deliver as advertised, never has on a consistent basis.
Somebody should really take a look at this stuff....could the reps please pass along these field reports? I'm beginning to wonder if the Brass at Dish really cares if the DishOnline system delivers as promised or not...:coffee

Sorry it's been a while, I have been really busy and have not been online much lately. To answer your questions the Hopper software version is S222 and the Sling Status is listed as "ready" with the version number R.03.01.11.

I've also tried a couple other things such as forwarding the appropriate ports on my router and putting it outside the firewall with DMZ settings all to no avail. I'm going to chat with dish online and see what other troubleshooting they suggest then come back and let you know what they said and if it worked (though by this point I'm thinking I need a new one).

Well, I talked to dish and they weren't yet able to resolve my issue. They had to send a detailed report to their engineers so they could further investigate how to fix it which means I will not hear anything for a day or two. The good news is they said they don't think that the device itself is broken since it's not giving any other errors or codes. To me, this makes it sound like it is a communication issue between the Sling Adapter and the Hopper.

I will keep everyone updated on what they find out.

Thanks, and keep us posted.

I've been having sling issues as well. I've rebooted, unplugged, and done everything I can think of and my sling adapter just will not work. It used to work OK on the earlier versions of the Hopper software, but not anymore. Through my android app, it says to connect the hopper to the internet (it is, pandora works fine, same with the FB app). If I go through the browser I get error code 31, I need to connect the sling adapter to the internet. Then I get a prompt to test my connection.

It's very frustrating, but hopefully the issues with sling can be resolved. As of right now, it's a waste of the $30 I spent on it, since I cannot use it for anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts