No Yankees in NYC on ESPN2 - Why?

jnardone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi:
Are all the local games going to be blacked out on espn, espnHD, espn2, and espn2HD (if we ever get that) this year?? Tonights red sox/yankees game was blacked out and not available on any other station on VOOM. How am I supposed to get the games without signing up with another provider??
I don't really understand the black out rule. I thought is was for when the game wasn't sold out then MLB wouldn't transmit it to the local market. I know this game (as most yankee games) was sold out.

they aren't supossed to be blacked out.

Another person who live's in new york and has E* is not blacked out of the yankees on espn2

BFG said:
they aren't supossed to be blacked out.

Another person who live's in new york and has E* is not blacked out of the yankees on espn2

Thanks BFG,
I called Voom and they said that ESPN2 was blocking the signal not VOOM. Is that possible?

no, voom programs all the blackouts. But what they were trying to say is that they don't determine the blackout rules. So they just incorrectly blacked out the game

Actually, in areas were YES has regional rights, ESPN does not have rights to transmit. I am getting blacked out on both E* and V* in NYC. Luckily, I have Cable and watching on Cable.

hmm, so there's 2 yankee territories, confusing....

thanx for clarifying.

The guy I talked to was from syracuse, which is still yankees home market, but it makes more sense to hear from you since you live in new york ;)

It all depends on what YES calls their regional territory. It goes by Zipcodes. If you go to www.mlb.com and sign up for their version of MLB Extra Inning, you could enter your zipcode and find out if you are going to be black out based on your zipcode. ESPN did not buy the national rights inside the regional YES territory.

jnardone said:
Will VOOM be getting YES or is that impossible?

Not impossible but it falls under the RSN package that all of us are screaming about. :D However, George Steinbrener is not an easy guy to deal with as he wants to milk every DBS and cable company for every penny to watch his multimillion dollar Yankees. Just ask E*. E* has not put YES in their line up for more than 2 years because of the outrageous demands by Mr. Steinbrener. On the other hand D* has given their $$$ to him in return for subscribership. Today I could see that all scores, all lineups presentations were sponsored by D*. They are spending lots of advertising on YES. These RSN like YES and soon the METS will become a nuisance and I am sure D* being an sport dbs provider driven will try to strike a deal with the Mets as well. In the short end customer lose and in the long run the Teams get what they want.

FWIW, the Yankee - Red Sox game was blacked out in the Boston area tonight as well on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes on Voom. However, it was carried on the UPN local in HD and I think it was on NESN as well. Yankees looked sharp for the most part, the Red Sox looked terrible.

subdude212 said:
FWIW, the Yankee - Red Sox game was blacked out in the Boston area tonight as well on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes on Voom. However, it was carried on the UPN local in HD and I think it was on NESN as well. Yankees looked sharp for the most part, the Red Sox looked terrible.

UPN38 look awesome last nite. :yes Sox did not. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)