NOISY 625 DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

buffee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I have noticed this in the last few months. It is ALWAYS either humming, grinding etc....If I am watching tv/movie you can't hear it, but if the tv is off you can positively hear it. At first I thought it was the tv, my first BIG flat screen, no its the 625. This would be my 3rd in years..the other two had hardrive crashes. I'd like to take care of this BEFORE that happens. Its NOT hot, its very open/air wise. I realize they do downloading, updates etc..but really??? 24/7. I have a 311 in another room, I realize its not a dvr but I have had it for what 10 years and it's drop dead quiet. Should I contact dish? thanks

Grinding is a sound made by a healthy drive.

Hard drives can vibrate and cause shelving, etc. to hum. This is normal. Moving things around or placing the receiver on foam under its feet can minimize or eliminate this problem.

Whining or repeated clicking are better indication of hard drive issues but once you hear clicking it's probably too late.

Rattling is more likely a fan bearing as mike123abc suggests. Still it's something that should be addressed before the fan quits and the receiver overheats.

Some flat panel displays buzz faintly, but you said you hear the hum with the TV off so that's probably not it.

The 311 certainly doesn't have a hard drive and may not have a fan!

I remember back when I had a 625, a software update made it go from completely silent to always humming (fan always running.)

The ViP722k that eventually replaced it was as silent as the 625 pre-update.

The Hopper that replaced the 722k isn't totally silent, but far more tolerable than the 625 post-update.

311/322 don't have fans btw.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Put your hand on the top of the case and press firmly to see if that reduces the noise. I remember mine humming/buzzing and it turned out to be the case/chassis vibrating.

I have noticed this in the last few months. It is ALWAYS either humming, grinding etc....If I am watching tv/movie you can't hear it, but if the tv is off you can positively hear it. At first I thought it was the tv, my first BIG flat screen, no its the 625. This would be my 3rd in years..the other two had hardrive crashes. I'd like to take care of this BEFORE that happens. Its NOT hot, its very open/air wise. I realize they do downloading, updates etc..but really??? 24/7. I have a 311 in another room, I realize its not a dvr but I have had it for what 10 years and it's drop dead quiet. Should I contact dish? thanks

I can get this taken care of for you. Please send me a PM with your account information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts