Non-subbed 622 and OTA channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I cancelled Dish due to the loss of AMC, IFC and Sundance channels.
I won't consider going back until these channels return.
I own my equipment which includes a 622 and an old 942.
In the meantime, I would like to use the DVR's to watch and record OTA channels.
The 942 scans the local channels and shows them in the guide, but without any data as expected. But I can set manual timers fine.
The 622 scans the local channels, but does not show them in the guide.
Instead I get message 784.
"Attention. The off air channels that you have selected will not appear in the guide until your receiver's High Definition functionality has been activated."
This seems odd as I can receive the HD channels that are currently in preview mode such as axs.tv, Indieplex HD, Tennis Channel HD, HDNet Movies and Encore HD.
Is it possible to watch and record OTA channels on a non-subbed 622?
And if not, why not?

Since the receivers were active on an account at one point, the preview channels will show, although they may disappear at some point. I'm not sure about the 942 (since it is such an old receiver), but the 622 needs to be active in order for the software to allow OTA to be scanned in, also the dvr functions will stop working at some point without activation.

I cancelled Dish due to the loss of AMC, IFC and Sundance channels.
I won't consider going back until these channels return.
I own my equipment which includes a 622 and an old 942.
In the meantime, I would like to use the DVR's to watch and record OTA channels.
The 942 scans the local channels and shows them in the guide, but without any data as expected. But I can set manual timers fine.
The 622 scans the local channels, but does not show them in the guide.
Instead I get message 784.
"Attention. The off air channels that you have selected will not appear in the guide until your receiver's High Definition functionality has been activated."
This seems odd as I can receive the HD channels that are currently in preview mode such as axs.tv, Indieplex HD, Tennis Channel HD, HDNet Movies and Encore HD.
Is it possible to watch and record OTA channels on a non-subbed 622?
And if not, why not?
The 622 OTA dosen't work because DISH isn't providing a free OTA DVR. They receive their income from subscriptions to DISH and they have no incentive to make the receivers function for other uses.

The 942 I'm surprised still works I would guess it hasn't been connected to a DISH data stream because most no longer work.

IF you wanted to just record ota channels and using your dvr, you could of downgraded to welcome pack and paid the dvr fee 14.99 +6.00 dvr fee=20.99 . I have a 211k with dvr software and an external hard drive and the Welcome pack and it cost me $16.60 a month with tax included to record ota channels and sat locals on one of my accounts. Cheaper than using Tivo.

The 942 was last connected in July 2008.
It does not get the free preview channels.
The 942 was not free. I bought it and a Dish 1000 from the DishStore in 2005.
Dish gave me the 622 in July 2008 to replace the 942 which they made obsolete for HD when they switched to Mpeg4.
Thanks for the suggestion about the Welcome Pack, but that would reward Dish for their bad behavior.
I've paid for subscription tv since 1979. First cable tv, then Big Dish 4dtv and then Dish Network.
This will be the first month without a tv bill (with the exception of Netflix) in 33 years.
I'm really enjoying Netflix and Pandora on the Roku.
If Dish doesn't come to their senses soon and bring back AMC, IFC and Sundance, I may never return.

The 942 was last connected in July 2008.
It does not get the free preview channels.
The 942 was not free. I bought it and a Dish 1000 from the DishStore in 2005.
Dish gave me the 622 in July 2008 to replace the 942 which they made obsolete for HD when they switched to Mpeg4.
Thanks for the suggestion about the Welcome Pack, but that would reward Dish for their bad behavior.
I've paid for subscription tv since 1979. First cable tv, then Big Dish 4dtv and then Dish Network.
This will be the first month without a tv bill (with the exception of Netflix) in 33 years.
I'm really enjoying Netflix and Pandora on the Roku.
If Dish doesn't come to their senses soon and bring back AMC, IFC and Sundance, I may never return.
Sorry you enjoy hurting yourself because your not hurting DISH by cancelling your subscription.

Sorry you enjoy hurting yourself because your not hurting DISH by cancelling your subscription.
Don't be sorry, I'm not hurting.
Cancelling Dish may not hurt Dish much, but it does hurt some. They are not getting $1440 per year from me anymore.

Another case of someone cutting his nose off to spite himself. Didn't do any research.

You're entitled to your uninformed opinion, but I have researched plenty and have other options.
My nose is just fine, thank you.

You may want to check about the status of your 622. Several receiver's replaced in the manner you described have been deemed to be leased and not owned. Dish may try to charge you for keeping the 622 if this turns out to be the case.

but back to the original post yes photoman the 622 won't get your OTA unless you subscribe. I picked up a 722k (for my dad) and I tried the same thing. I could get the freeview channels in HD but after scanning in the locals I saw the same screen

Dish has the locals OTA guide and ability to use them tied to an active account.

just another useless response from you boba. Boy seems like thats all you like to do (instead of actually HELPING folks)

hmmm...I guess Dish doesnt care that people cancel then? So I guess thats why they're giving away the farm now....to keep people from leaving

photoman76 said:

you do understand there are other sources for this programming, right?

but back to the original post yes photoman the 622 won't get your OTA unless you subscribe. I picked up a 722k (for my dad) and I tried the same thing. I could get the freeview channels in HD but after scanning in the locals I saw the same screen

Dish has the locals OTA guide and ability to use them tied to an active account.

Thanks for the confirmation.

You may want to check about the status of your 622. Several receiver's replaced in the manner you described have been deemed to be leased and not owned. Dish may try to charge you for keeping the 622 if this turns out to be the case.

Both the website account and the Dish customer service rep I spoke to confirm that the 622 was owned/purchased. When Dish switched from Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4, they first offered me a leased receiver and I refused it.

you do understand there are other sources for this programming, right?

Yes. In my neighborhood, I can choose Directv or Xfinity. Uverse was supposed to be in the neighborhood, but apparently it's too far away from the headend and service was unreliable so they no longer offer it.
Dish did offer to pay for AMC original programming episodes using my Roku. But I declined. For now, I've decided to go without tv subscription service and see how we like just OTA, FTA and Netflix.

Yes. In my neighborhood, I can choose Directv or Xfinity. Uverse was supposed to be in the neighborhood, but apparently it's too far away from the headend and service was unreliable so they no longer offer it.
Dish did offer to pay for AMC original programming episodes using my Roku. But I declined. For now, I've decided to go without tv subscription service and see how we like just OTA, FTA and Netflix.

Ah, I was not clear. I meant you can get AMC on HuluPlus, Netflix, etc. And I see they offered to pay for such for you. First I've heard of that offer.

I can sympathize with the cord cutting. If my financial situation takes a turn for the worse, I might cut to the minimum Dish package, watch my EHDs, OTA and Amazon Prime Instant Video, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)