Noob questions - what service and NHL on HD

jimmy2_dtv

Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Hello,

I live in Portland, OR and my friend has a sister in BC who will "host" our account so we won't have to use a broker. We were planning on heading up there later this month to pick up equipment and set up the account.

We mainly want to get the Canadian Satellite service for the NHL games in HD. I have Center Ice on DirectTV but not all the HD games are available. Last year they didn't show the HNIC games in HD, plus we both couldn't stand the OLN commentators during last year's playoffs.
Plus, we both like the National as an unbiased news source. Then there is the better Olympic coverage, but I digress...

So, do we have to purchase an additional programming option (package) like NHL Center Ice or by purchasing the regular sports packaging, we'll automatically get those games?
I guess we'll have to somehow activate the HD service. Is it another package like it is on DirectTV?

Also, what service has the most HD channels and has the most reliable service? Bellvue or StarChoice?

Thanks for your time and patience with this newbie

Bell has NHL CI...StarChoice doesn't

If you use your sisters address, you'll get the Canucks games on Rogers Sportsnet (their equivalent to Fox Sports Net). The other games on the RSN's will be blacked out. The games on TSN are not blacked out unless its a Leafs regional game. All the CBC games are without blackout but CBC really only shows the Leafs in HD (god forbid they go out west for HD). If you want the Canadiens, they have all games in French on RDS (Reseau Du Sports)

With ExpressVu, you get CBC HD in the package. TSN HD & RSN HD you need the sports package. StarChoice is the same way on that.

I personally like SC because the picture looks cleaner on SD (I dont have HD so I cant comment). ALso, SC gives you the Sens games that they carry on the OTA station, A Channel (ExpressVu doesn't) :)

jimmy2_dtv said:
Hello,

Also, what service has the most HD channels and has the most reliable service? Bellvue or StarChoice?

This will depend on whether you are going to keep DirecTV CI or not.

If you are not, Expressvu is the way to go

If you are going to keep it, SC is the way to go. Cheaper HD hardware, no extra charge for HD. An Essentials subscription will get you all the HD games you are missing - CBC HD/TSN HD/Fox2 Detroit HD

Bell ExpressVU Uplink Report - 9-6-2006 (Mainly Moves)

SC and slaves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)