Noobie-Upgrade to HD Simple Question

budrn

Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Texas
I am a longtime Dish subscriber and have a 501DVR in my living room, Top250/HBO SD programming. The signal is also fed to a second TV in a bedroom. I am single so different shows on each TV are unimportant.

Several months ago, I purchased an HDTV for the bedroom and just disconnected the coax from the old SDTV and connected to the new HDTV. No problems. SD picture is fine. I have a 52" HDTV on its way from Amazon to replace a SD projection unit in the living room as my main TV and want to upgrade to a 722 w/HD (TurboHD I guess it's called).

When this is installed, will the HD signal also be fed through the existing coax to my bedroom as my SD signal currently is? Or, will it be necessary to maintain a second receiver for the bedroom in order to watch HD there? While it would be nice to have HD in the bedroom as well as on the living room big screen, if I can save the additional charges I can live with just an SD signal there. If that's the case, what would I need to accomplish HD in the living room, while still being able to see SD in the bedroom to avoid additional monthly charges for a second equipment rental etc.

I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but the options and differences confuse me greatly. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Bud

Like Gary said, you can get HD on both TV's from the TV1 tuner by hooking up one via component & RCA audio, the other (probably the bedroom) via a long HDMI cable. All outputs are "hot" at the same time.This will be a "mirrored" signal of course-same channel, same time. If you can get an HDMI cable to the 2nd TV buy one inexpensively from monoprice.com . If that's not practical you can just hook up your existing coax to the TV2 tuner and view SD as you do now but with a 722 in dual mode different programming would be available at the two locations/same time.

Ed

Thanks for the help guys, especially OldCorps. That solution seems the best for me. I will lose the HDTV capability in the bedrooom, but initially that's the way I'll go. I am physically unable to do the necessary cable run for the HDMI cable, it would need to go through and up the wall in the living room, through the attic, and then inside the interior bedroom wall and out to the location of the smaller TV. When I can find someone to do this for me, I'll change it.

The answers really helped me, I am indebted.

Bud

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)