North Carolina have eastern arch tree block

crar355

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
north carolina
This is follow up from previous thread just a little off topic.
Replacing super dish SD to 1000.2 eastern arch. Finding that new trajectory has large tree block.
Should I consider a western arch set up? 27410 area code(Greensboro NC). Relocating dish is possible, just will be fairly involved. Thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Depends on where your locals are located. Need to see which arc they are on and then go from there. If they are on eastern arc only , then you will have to decide whether locals are that important to you . Call or chat with DISH and see first. If you don't care about locals then western arc would work fine for national cable channels and you might use an antenna for ota reception.

Right now they are on 119 and 61.5 but the SD locals on 119 right now are being shut down this Wednesday- not sure if they will continue with HD locals on 119 after that or not.

Right now they are on 119 and 61.5 but the SD locals on 119 right now are being shut down this Wednesday- not sure if they will continue with HD locals on 119 after that or not.
The Greensboro SD locals, today, are on 119 and the HD locals are on 61.5 only. Your locals are going to be on 61.5 only after the changeover. If you have tree blockage to 61.5 the dish will need to be relocated or tree blockage removed.

The Greensboro SD locals, today, are on 119 and the HD locals are on 61.5 only. Your locals are going to be on 61.5 only after the changeover. If you have tree blockage to 61.5 the dish will need to be relocated or tree blockage removed.
I'm going to be a little off-topic, but hear me out. Questions like this one are precisely why we need Uplink Reports. The locals chart that we all rely on is outdated. (No updates since April.) Dish could have made many changes to where the locals are broadcast from since then, and we would have no way of knowing. (I am not saying that is likely what happened or will be happening in this particular case, merely that it is a possibility.) Also, that locals chart will remain outdated (continuing to list non-existent SD feeds) even after this changeover is completed.

So, with all of that said, is there any way that we can get Dish Technical Operations involved in replicating the service that James Long used to provide? That way, we could finally have Official uplink reports from Dish, rather than the unofficial work James had been doing. Dish Technical Operations could redact any engineering (test) channels that regular subscribers are not supposed to know about. I am simply asking for real-time updates on any changes to channels that actually are available to subscribers. That would greatly help us answer questions like this in the future, so we can be confident that we are giving the correct answer. Thank you for reading this. Rant over now. I feel better!

The SD services will remain on 119 - they will just be converted from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.

The goal of this project is to affect as few people as possible with these changes.

The SD services will remain on 119 - they will just be converted from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.

The goal of this project is to affect as few people as possible with these changes.
Thanks. You weren't clear about that in the other thread. Specifically:
They are switching the locals to MPEG-4. More accurately, they are shutting off the SD feeds (unless the channel is only carried in SD) and forcing you to use the HD feeds, which are already MPEG-4.

Is there a list of the markets that will be affected by the change-over on Sept. 21, or on any other close upcoming dates? I am curious when the SD feeds will be shut off for the Cleveland, OH market.

Cleveland is in the next round. I won't give specific dates on this forum but it should be within the next couple of months.
In your response to my posts, you only verified that Cleveland is coming next, but did not dispute my statements about the SD feeds going away. Thanks for finally clarifying that here. :bigok

Reactions: charlesrshell

Interesting. I‘m assuming once I switch receivers, I will still need Address current dish/LNB (super dish) Setup aimed at 119? (Will current lnb work?)
Or
either switch out to 1000.2 eastern arc or if needing to stay with 119 do 1000.2 western lnb setup?

Last edited:
Thanks for that! I stand corrected. It still might be a good idea to change arcs to get the locals in HD.
Also, I would assume that the statement about the SD locals remaining in MPEG-4 is only temporary. As in, there are no immediate plans to eliminate them, but they may still go away eventually. That is what Dish did to the SD feeds on Eastern Arc, for the channels that are carried in HD.

Interesting. I‘m assuming once I switch receivers, I will still need Address current dish/LNB (super dish) Setup aimed at 119? (Will current lnb work?)
Or
either switch out to 1000.2 eastern arc or if needing to stay with 119 do 1000.2 western lnb setup?
Your current LNB will still work. However, once you hook up your HD receivers, it is a good idea to switch to a full arc setup (Western or Eastern) to make sure you can access all of the HD national channels. Also, as Bobby and I pointed out, it may still be a good idea to use the Eastern Arc LNB. That way, you get your locals in HD, and future-proof your system for any other changes that Dish may make down the road.

Also, I would assume that the statement about the SD locals remaining in MPEG-4 is only temporary. As in, there are no immediate plans to eliminate them, but they may still go away eventually. That is what Dish did to the SD feeds on Eastern Arc, for the channels that are carried in HD.

Your current LNB will still work. However, once you hook up your HD receivers, it is a good idea to switch to a full arc setup (Western or Eastern) to make sure you can access all of the HD national channels. Also, as Bobby and I pointed out, it may still be a good idea to use the Eastern Arc LNB. That way, you get your locals in HD, and future-proof your system for any other changes that Dish may make down the road.
I’ll plan on making full eastern switch but maybe changing just a receiver for now will give me a little time vs having to do complete swap out by Wednesday. Thanks to all in the forum for the advise and professionalism - sometimes forums can be a sarcastic place.

I guess I’ve missed something. Whatever happened to James Long? I vaguely remember maybe he got sick.
He's still around, and still working as a moderator (Super Moderator) at that other forum. He doesn't post nearly as often, though. My guess is that he is not allowed to post Uplink Reports anymore. He probably got an official "cease and desist" from Dish, and he is not allowed to talk about that anymore. That is why I am asking for an Official uplink report to be provided directly from Dish. Let the engineers edit out anything they don't want us to know about, but at least let us see everything that should be public knowledge. (A simple listing of channels, what satellite those channels are on, what time any changes take place, what broadcast format [MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4, etc.] is being used for each channel, what time free previews begin and end, etc.)

Perverse! I remember a genius with the downlink who scanned it for new software, separated out the firmware for different receivers, and then scanned those for acceptable internal HDDs. He was told to cease and desist as well. And let's not forget that Dish regards their old PVR internal disk file system proprietary. Of course that was reverse engineered and we were pulling off perfect copies at high speed from disk to disk. Ah, those were the days. I do not call this hacking. I call it reverse engineering.

I can confirm that in my market (Greensboro NC) that locals on 119 MPEG-2 were shut off today. I can also confirm that the one receiver I have replaced so far (with a VIP211) is now receiving the locals on 119 MPEG-4. I’m going to eventually finish replacing receivers then changing Dish to 1000.2 eastern arc when I have a little more time. Worst thing about the receiver switch out was waiting on hold for over 30 minutes just to get a dish rep on phone to make change. Wish dish allowed user to make that change via account sign in online. (I don’t have phone line and it wasn’t convenient to run an eithernet cable from router to the receiver so I had to call ).

I can confirm that in my market (Greensboro NC) that locals on 119 MPEG-2 were shut off today. I can also confirm that the one receiver I have replaced so far (with a VIP211) is now receiving the locals on 119 MPEG-4.
Good to hear! I wish Dish Technical Operations would release a list of all of the other markets that were affected by this. That would greatly help us answer any questions if anyone else in a similar situation starts a thread about this changeover.

Wish dish allowed user to make that change via account sign in online.
Once the receiver is on your account, you can deactivate it and reactivate it through the mydish website. Note: that may only work for Dish Outdoor (RV-type) accounts. Unfortunately, adding a new receiver to the account still requires a phone call, though.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)