Wally on DUO NODE 185836

I have two hopper w/sling on a duo node 185836. Can I run a Wally off one outputs labeled for client?
No, the client ports only provide MoCA signal usable by Joey’s. You could connect a Wally to a Host port, but would lose the connection to a Hopper doing so.
I think the solution would be to add a DPH42 switch, and replace that Duo Node with a Duo Hub. Then, the Hoppers would be connected through the Hub to one output from the switch, while the Wally could be connected to the other switch output.

I think the solution would be to add a DPH42 switch, and replace that Duo Node with a Duo Hub. Then, the Hoppers would be connected through the Hub to one output from the switch, while the Wally could be connected to the other switch output.
Not really, because the DPH42 has two outputs, and both would get used by the Hopper’s (The Duo Hub needs two inputs to serve two Hopper’s). If I were to do it I would add a DPP44 switch between the Dish and Node, which has 4 DPP outputs. The first port can serve the Wally alongside having the power inserter, and the remaining 3 can go to the existing Duo Node. The other option would be to upgrade the two HWS to one H3, then use a DPH42 with a duo hub as you suggested. But that would depend on the use case of the OP, he might need two separate Hoppers for one reason or another.

...one H3, then use a DPH42 with a duo hub as you suggested...
I'll assume you mean a Solo Hub in this case. That is the way my system is connected. The Hopper 3 uses up all 16 available tuners from one output of the DPH42. I know the other output can be split to support multiple Wally receivers, up to the maximum of 16 tuners per output. I guess I was thinking that there would be a way to connect multiple HWS to a single DPH42 output, since those would not use nearly that many total tuners. It sounds like the Duo Hub is not designed to be able to be hooked up that way, though.

The DPP44 sounds like the simplest solution.

I'll assume you mean a Solo Hub in this case.
Either one would work, but the correct way would be a solo hub. These are really simple devices, they take satellite signal on the two inputs and output the same signal on the two host outputs, while allowing for MoCA communication across all outputs. They don’t to any splitting or changes to the tuner signal whatsoever, so if you use a Wally on one of the host outputs it would work just fine, except of course for MoCA functionality since the Wally does not support it. And if you try doing just one satellite feed on one of the inputs, only the respective output would get signal.

Reactions: AkaDoubleG
It's too old to handle DPH anything.
That too, only the H3/Duo/Wally support DPH, out of which only the Duo and Wally do channel stacking, AKA the ability to run more the one receiver on the same DPH LNBF/Switch output.

When connected to a DPH LNBF, the HWS/2K run in DPX mode, since the LNB switch is retro compatible with DPP and DPX.

I did not know the Duo could do that too. So, you can stack 8 Duo's?
I personally have only connected my Wally and Duo together, but in theory, yes, on a DPH42 you could do up to 16 (8 per output). I believe you can also disable the second tuner on it like with the Wally as Patty hinted at on the other thread, so possibly up to 16 on a single coax line.

That too, only the H3/Duo/Wally support DPH, out of which only the Duo and Wally do channel stacking, AKA the ability to run more the one receiver on the same DPH LNBF/Switch output.
I personally have only connected my Wally and Duo together, but in theory, yes, on a DPH42 you could do up to 16 (8 per output). I believe you can also disable the second tuner on it like with the Wally as Patty hinted at on the other thread, so possibly up to 16 on a single coax line.
So, the bottom line is there is no technical reason why Dish won't allow more than one Hopper Duo on a single account. That is purely a policy restriction. It seems that it would actually be easier to hook up multiple Hopper Duos than it would be to hook up multiple regular Hoppers.

Reactions: TheKrell
Would I still need the Duo Node if I install the
DPP 44. Wouldn’t that take care of my two Hoppers and one Wally.
The Duo Node is still needed for the two Hoppers. It combines three outputs from the DPP44, to give you the six total tuners you need for both Hoppers. (Three tuners per Hopper.) The fourth output is used for the Wally. It is simpler to hook up if the output used for the Wally is port one of the DPP44, since the Wally can be directly connected to the output port of the power inserter that connects to port one.

Reactions: ethanlerma
Would I still need the Duo Node if I install the
DPP 44. Wouldn’t that take care of my two Hoppers and one Wally.
The Duo Node will still be necessary to provide service to the two Hoppers and any Joeys you may have. Hoppers use DPX, while Wally’s are fine with DPP. The DPP44 will take your three existing DPP satellite feeds, and make them four. You still need a device to convert DPP to DPX, which is where the Node comes in.

Either one would work, but the correct way would be a solo hub. These are really simple devices, they take satellite signal on the two inputs and output the same signal on the two host outputs, while allowing for MoCA communication across all outputs. They don’t to any splitting or changes to the tuner signal whatsoever, so if you use a Wally on one of the host outputs it would work just fine, except of course for MoCA functionality since the Wally does not support it. And if you try doing just one satellite feed on one of the inputs, only the respective output would get signal.
When you say Solo Hub do you mean the orange cheaper one model 203952 or the more expensive solo hub model 185834? Would there be a difference between the 2? I have the orange one now going with my DPH42.

Reactions: pattykay
I did not read this entire thread yet but he can use the three lines coming from the dish to a 44 switch, the last 3 outputs back to the duo node and the first output to the Wally With the power inserter

Edit
As usual, now that I look back I see I’m too late lol

When you say Solo Hub do you mean the orange cheaper one model 203952 or the more expensive solo hub model 185834? Would there be a difference between the 2? I have the orange one now going with my DPH42.
The orange 203952 is a Solo Hub, while the white 185834 is a Solo Node. Different items for different use cases. In your case you need a Hub, so either a Solo Hub or Duo Hub works.

The orange 203952 is a Solo Hub, while the white 185834 is a Solo Node. Different items for different use cases. In your case you need a Hub, so either a Solo Hub or Duo Hub works.
I have been chatting with Patty and Charles who have given me some great tips for my potential set up. I am debating about adding a DPP44 into my mix and then wonder if I should get a Solo Node or keep my solo hub. I basically want the best options for running my Hopper 3, Wally's, VIP 211K, and eventually get the Hopper Plus and Joey 4's in there too. A Dish Tech gave me a DPH42 for free last year and I just wonder if I should keep it in the mix or go with the DPP44 and use the solo node or hub. Right now I don't have my Wally's running and I have the Hopper on line 1 of the DPH42 and the VIP 211k on line 2.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have been chatting with Patty and Charles who have given me some great tips for my potential set up. I am debating about adding a DPP44 into my mix and then wonder if I should get a Solo Node or keep my solo hub. I basically want the best options for running my Hopper 3, Wally's, VIP 211K, and eventually get the Hopper Plus and Joey 4's in there too. A Dish Tech gave me a DPH42 for free last year and I just wonder if I should keep it in the mix or go with the DPP44 and use the solo node or hub. Right now I don't have my Wally's running and I have the Hopper on line 1 of the DPH42 and the VIP 211k on line 2.
Hopper 3 won't work with a Solo Node. You need to keep the Hub.

So on the DPP44 I connect the three line from the dish to the “To Dish “ port 1,2 & 3. Then connect the Wally to Port 1with the power inverter and the two lines for the two Hoppers connect to port 2 & 3 to “receiver satellite in” and those stay connected to duo node on “to host” ports.

Reactions: charlesrshell