NOT informed enough - need advice!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

EmK

Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Not that I'm going to miss Adelphia, or anything, but my cable was just switched from them to Comcast, and there's enough I don't like about it (channels previously on analog now ONLY on digital, so I can only get them on the one set for which I have a converter) that I'm finally seriously dumping cable for satellite. I don't think Dish has what I want, so I'm leaning towards DTV.

I need your opinions on the CHEAPEST way to bring DTV to 6 TVs in one house (no more than 3 possible different channels at a time), and still maintain a broadband internet connection.

I started looking at the DTV site, and am a bit confused -- looks like you don't OWN the equipment with them, anymore -- you now have to lease it?

Please offer your opinions (in the simplest possible language, please - I know NOTHING about satellite/digital/HD technologies). Oh, that brings up another point -- at this point in time, we have no interest in DVRs or HD. None. Just want to be able to watch TV, wherever we are in the house, without having to watch the same show everyone else is watching.

THANKS
MK

with dtv, your first reciever is free, and all additional boxes are 5.95 additionally, so depending on how many boxes you need...say six boxes, the first one will be free and each additional 5 will be 5.95 each extra, so about 30 extra bucks for 6 receivers.

with dtv, your first reciever is free, and all additional boxes are 5.95 additionally, so depending on how many boxes you need...say six boxes, the first one will be free and each additional 5 will be 5.95 each extra, so about 30 extra bucks for 6 receivers.

Leased receivers are $4.99 each, not $5.95.

But say I think DTV's already getting enough of my $$, and don't want to pay them $30/month. Can I still BUY multiple receivers, somewhere, and get a good deal on the service?

And -- how many receivers do I need to "feed" 6 TVs? Six? Or are there ways to do it with, say, TWO (because we'll watch no more than 2 TVs at a time) and "split" those receivers to every TV in the house?

Are there "diagrams for idiots" on how to best set up multi-room DTV, somewhere?

No matter whether your lease or own the receiver, you'll still end up paying the additional 4.99 a month per receiver. They'll just change the name of the fee from "lease fee" to "mirroring fee." You can't get away from that no matter what.

Now, If you're content to use 3 receivers to feed 6 televisions, yes it can be done, but you're looking at a lot of potential work to do it. You can use the composite out for a nearby tv, and then the rf modulated out to run over coax to a second tv, or if you only have rf inputs on your televisions use a simple coax splitter to split the output but that isn't recommended if you're going to push a long cable run.

There are limitations to this though. You will have to have both televisions tuned to the same channel. Further, the low end receivers have only an infrared port for reception of remote signals, so if you wish to change channels from another room you'll need a remote extender.

Emk,
Everything posted above looks pretty accurate but there is more. You could run all six tvs from one DTV receiver(or two)..see the posts on splitters. With a remote extender you could control all from anywhere in the house.
Where I see a bump is the broadband internet connection. You will probably need a dedicated coax cable line to your modem as it is now. There have been issues with diplexing DTV feed and internet on the same cable. Also, once you dump the video service from your cable service they may find a service charge for you for disrespecting their CATV feed.
All you want to do is possible...the cheap part is beginning to fade.
Finally, BEFORE telling the cable company good bye, do make sure you have a Line of Sight (LOS) and can install the DTV system on your home. Word eatin is never pleasant
and they may have another service charge for folks who tried to leave but got caught,

Joe

for you cable modem you can look at other providers that go through you cable company to keep the price lower. I know TWC charges about $10 more a month then Earthlink that I am getting through TWC. I use G-mail for my E-mail so I will never have to change my E-mail address again no matter who I use for the internet service provider.

Anyone know what's the longest s-video or composite cable they make?

I prefer Directv to Dish but the Dish receivers are designed for 2 rooms each. They usually only want to lease 2 boxes to each account though. Maybe do the other 2 rooms with Comcast? $$$

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts