Not receiving 119 even. Can I upgrade?

speterson63

Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
MI
New to here, but last few weeks been having problems receiving 119 even channels. I have older dish 500 with a sw21 switch and legacy 4700 reciever. Trouble is antenna is installed on a tower and if I have to climb that or take down to check connections I'm thinking of just replacing it with a new 1000.2. That brings another question, can I just use that antenna without adding hd right now with my old reciever or do I need to upgrade that too? Don't need hd right now but if I want later would be easier. Torn between trying to fix what I have or replaceing part of it.

Hi and welcome here. To be honest your question is a little to complicated for me answer with a correct answer. But one of the Dishnetwork CSR's here can. One should see this thread and reply. I didn't want you to feel like you were being ignored!

I take it you are going biting and kicking into the HD era? :D

Your 4900 receiver is a Legacy receiver and your existing electronics is Legacy. Because the 1000.4 is Dish Pro Plus it is compatible with Legacy receivers, the question is the power supply in the 4700/4900 strong enough to power the new electronics. The 1000.2 is being replaced with the 1000.4WA so unless you are getting a super bargin on the 1000.2 get the newer dish.

True, but will I need a new receiver now to make it work or an adaper, switches for sd with the 1000.4? Would like to upgrade one part at a time if I can and then change receiver and programing to receive hd at a later time. Also if I adjust the current dish to get even 119 again would you think elevation or horizontal alignment? Thanks for input.

Speterson63, if you need to upgrade your dish, or would simply like to, PM me a phone number on the account and I will handle it for you!

You can get the dish without getting HD or even just HD equipment, that is not a problem. The great part about doing that is that, if and when you choose to "bite the bullet" on HD equipment, a shipped option becomes available for the receiver (so long as you have the cables needed and the receiver is not relocating).

Just let me know!

OK, looks like new upgrade is out unless I get a new receiver. So back to my original problem to fix. I checked last night on my signal meter on the even channel and transponder, I was receiving signal in the 80's to ninty's. But every few seconds it would lose signal altogether then few seconds later be back in ninty's. So I wouldn't think that would be an alignment problem?. I unpluged receiver and pulled smart card to reset. Seemed to work but now starting to happen again. Any ideas? Cables? Switch?Receiver?

A legacy twin is dirt cheap on eBay. Or, if you want one, PM me. I've got them in my parts bin.

Just climb up there and replace the lnbs and SW21's with the twin.

It is highly unlikely that the dish moved. From 12 years of installing and servicing Dish, it is most likely a dead SW21 or a corroded connection on the SW21. All you have to do is to screw the connections on the legacy twin and run the check switch. You're done.

Just one piece of additional piece of advice on the legacy twin. There are still defective ones out there made by CAL AMP with the Lot number CSS96011 Cal Amp actually went out of buisiness, and the whole issue of "lnb drift" was everywhere on this board. All mine are made in Japan and not from this lot.

Last edited:
New to here, but last few weeks been having problems receiving 119 even channels. I have older dish 500 with a sw21 switch and legacy 4700 reciever. Trouble is antenna is installed on a tower and if I have to climb that or take down to check connections I'm thinking of just replacing it with a new 1000.2. That brings another question, can I just use that antenna without adding hd right now with my old reciever or do I need to upgrade that too? Don't need hd right now but if I want later would be easier. Torn between trying to fix what I have or replaceing part of it.

to keep it simple, if you are only receiving 'ODD' number channels this this normally points to a faulty LNB.

Speterson63, if you need to upgrade your dish, or would simply like to, PM me a phone number on the account and I will handle it for you!

You can get the dish without getting HD or even just HD equipment, that is not a problem. The great part about doing that is that, if and when you choose to "bite the bullet" on HD equipment, a shipped option becomes available for the receiver (so long as you have the cables needed and the receiver is not relocating).

Just let me know!

MOre than likely he will qualify for a free upgrade. Why not just set him up with free HD for life, and a 211K (He'll probably have to sign an existing 24month commitment anyway to get the free upgrade.)? Then he'll have to do nothing whenever he gets a new TV.

On another note the OP could just set up a service call, and more than likely get the whole system replaced with newer SD equipment. When I was a tech, and serviced Legacy systems with an issue it got yanked and replaced. Of coarse working for a RSP we didn't carry anything older then DPP twins, DP duals/singles, and DP switches.

Last edited:
i would not recommend any investment in trying to keep you existing system. legacy equipment is being phased out and its days are numbered. call and let them offer you a good deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)