Not recording two shows at same time on 612

kc1ih

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
I have a VIP 612 receiver, and have a problem on Saturdays where I have two shows recording at the same time. The start times happen to be one minute apart. What happens is frequently the receiver will schedule both recordings on the same tuner, and will then resolve the issue by cancelling the second recording, rather than switching the second recording to the other tuner, which would allow both to recorded.

This makes no sense to me, I would think the logic in the receiver should schedule two shows that record at the same time on different tuners. I don't recall it doing things this way until recently (I've had the receiver since 2011) but I don't think there's been any software updates recently that could have an error.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or have and suggestions on how to fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

Are they two programs that would allow setting 2 separate timers so there isn't a conflict? Example "Ask This Old House" at 9am and "This Old House" repeating 8 hours later.

If you contact dish all they will do is make you upgrade. Based on how most businesses operate that’s probably a problem they intentionally created so people would call so they can make them upgrade and sign a 2 year contract.

Seems to me that the VIP 612 was a dual tuner that allowed viewing on one tuner and recording on the other. The VIP 622 allowed recording on both tuners.

Seems to me that the VIP 612 was a dual tuner that allowed viewing on one tuner and recording on the other. The VIP 622 allowed recording on both tuners.

The 612 will record using both tuners and OTA tuner all at the same time. That said, I have not noticed kc1ih's problem as yet.

Reactions: pattykay
I have a VIP 612 receiver, and have a problem on Saturdays where I have two shows recording at the same time. The start times happen to be one minute apart. What happens is frequently the receiver will schedule both recordings on the same tuner, and will then resolve the issue by cancelling the second recording, rather than switching the second recording to the other tuner, which would allow both to recorded.

This makes no sense to me, I would think the logic in the receiver should schedule two shows that record at the same time on different tuners. I don't recall it doing things this way until recently (I've had the receiver since 2011) but I don't think there's been any software updates recently that could have an error.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or have and suggestions on how to fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

I have not had that happen. Couple of things I would do. I would delete both timers. Then unplug the receiver wait a few minutes then plug it back in so it does a hard reset and makes sure the deleted timers takes. Then reinstall the timers. I have never seen shows start one minute apart, in fact I don't think the guide does anything less than five minutes so I am guessing you made one of them start early?
You can make the receiver swap tuners if two shows are recording by changing the priority of one of them, the top priority of the two will use tuner 1.

Reactions: TheKrell
In addition to what Tampa said, set your default start/end times to 2 minutes before, 2 minutes after. That setting for me on my 722 always seemed to force the proper overlap so that the 2nd tuner would get invoked.

Reactions: TheKrell
Both of our VIP612's will record two programs at the same time with start/end times identical. You have to watch a previously recorded show when this happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)