Not-So-Good News

joshuals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Ran across this web page:
Shaw Direct - HD network upgrade: Outdoor equipment

The way I read this, this the Quad LNB (or older) will be non-functional once the transition to MPEG-4 is complete circa 2019. Anyone not having the xKu LNB will have to upgrade their LNB and have their channel map changed in their existing receiver or purchase a new receiver that has, by default, the channel map that corresponds to the xKu LNB.

Any thoughts or insights?

Shaw is embarking on a mission similar to that of DIRECTV: to rid their constellation of bandwidth-wasting MPEG2 programming by 2019.

If your receiver isn't MPEG4 capable, you'll have to get one that is; it is not optional and you cannot upgrade an MPEG2 receiver to MPEG4.

Welcome to the 21st century!

Reactions: showtime
If I can procure an xKu LNB, I can get up to the dish to change it out.
It may be easier just to replace the whole dish assembly.

Most DBS satellite receivers these days support flexible mapping. I'd be surprised if it required special firmware with a custom map.

Your best option would be to call Shaw and ask them what your upgrade path is. I'm sure they're keenly interested in getting you updated.

Not a problem as far as the receiver goes as I have a DSR-600. It's the LNB and the channel map that is the issue. If I can procure an xKu LNB, I can get up to the dish to change it out. It's changing the channel map (as a Southern Sub) that is the problem.
How far south are you? Mapping shouldn't be an issue .. shaw has a chat feature on their website, just need to produce email or account number and access the chat and have them remap.

Not a problem as far as the receiver goes as I have a DSR-600. It's the LNB and the channel map that is the issue. If I can procure an xKu LNB, I can get up to the dish to change it out. It's changing the channel map (as a Southern Sub) that is the problem.

Those lnb's are available for purchase from Ebay vendors. From cheap to "he's crazy!" prices.

the older lnb's will still work but you will be missing a lot of channels, I think local channels will be an issue for BC people once the 300's are removed since the HD channels are on G1 which is not available down south.
Right now installers are doing a Free upgrade on the lnb in the 1st phase, people with additional locations will need to buy an new lnb to stay under the radar as all rec should be on the same V code. If not it will eventually be noticed and they will contact you to find out why? or possibly just cut off the old code to get you to call them. (and yes Harshness it is Hard Coded by Shaw, rec has to have the right code to match the lnb)

I can see this being an issue for people using a broker since installers are calling customers to setup the appointment to upgrade. If there is no valid contact information it will be reported back that the job can not be done as no customer contact or invalid address etc. Might be wise to buy an lnb and change it yourself asap?

The 2nd phase will be upgrading people with the old rec and lnb's sometime next year. Going forward only the 600 and 800 series will work or activated. Not sure at this point if all rec will be free or just 1??

Merry Christmas :)

Might be wise to buy an lnb and change it yourself asap?

What I'm finding is that while certain merchants are offering the xKu LNB on their websites and/or on Ebay/Kijiji, in fact, when I contact them, they are "out of stock" and do not intend (or are perhaps not being allowed to) replenish their stock. In one case a merchant will happily sell me a complete dish package that would include the xKu, however.

It's also interesting that one merchant is offering, on Ebay, the 75e xKu LNB as a standalone for the modest price of $890.00CAD, as well as a 60e LNB for an equally ridiculous price. I contacted them to see whether the price was a typo and received a reply, but not a direct answer to my question.

What I'm finding is that while certain merchants are offering the xKu LNB on their websites and/or on Ebay/Kijiji, in fact, when I contact them, they are "out of stock" and do not intend (or are perhaps not being allowed to) replenish their stock. In one case a merchant will happily sell me a complete dish package that would include the xKu, however.

It's also interesting that one merchant is offering, on Ebay, the 75e xKu LNB as a standalone for the modest price of $890.00CAD, as well as a 60e LNB for an equally ridiculous price. I contacted them to see whether the price was a typo and received a reply, but not a direct answer to my question.

Those super high (crazy) prices on Ebay are usually there because they DON'T have stock, but want to keep the auction running as a place-holder. They don't expect people to actually bid on them.

Let's suppose, just for the sake of argument, that Shaw disables (somehow) the Quad LNB channel map for all receivers on all accounts and only supports the channel map for the xKU LNB. Will those generic LNB's continue to be functional?

They definately should. They use the same xku map now. The F1X for F1/G1 and any standard ku for F2

Reactions: QCK
I posted earlier today on digitalhome.ca, hoping to figure out how to get a new xKu LNB for 75e dish.

Anyone have a good source?

I see that showtime is offering to sell them .. going to him/her pm now.

No, they do not at all. for example the older dual quad lnb code for the west would look something like this in the system status screen
line F ch# xxx 548-4320 if you put an new XKU on the dish you will lose all but a few channels such as 350 aptn which works for both maps.
Once it has been changed Shaw now has to send the signal to the rec to match the new lnb. So it would then change to Ch xxx 749-4321
after several minutes. when they 1st change it it goes to Loading 0-4321 so we wait until it finishes loading before trying to change channels once it switches to Existing 7xx-4321 it is safe to change.

June phase 2 starts, another 50+ channels will be converter to mpeg4 and HD. Then we also start to upgrade customers with the older larger type Mpeg 2 receivers.

The older Dual Ku lnb's will continue to work for at least another 2 years or until the conversion is complete. Possibly they might Kill it then to flush remaining customers out and force them to call in when they lose all their programming?? But they will continue to lose channels as they are converted over anyway.

But who knows at this point??

They definately should. They use the same xku map now. The F1X for F1/G1 and any standard ku for F2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)